TrackIR: How is it?

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
jontsuba
Donation rank:

05 Aug 2014 11:01

Yesterday I watched Sunday's DaSquirrelsNuts' video playing ProMods 1.7 Beta and one thing astonished: how he could control the game camera moving his head! After a bit of research, i found that's achieved with TrackIR. Sounds really tempting, but I have some doubts. So, anyone that's got it: how is using it? Does it feel natural? Does it require a bit of practice? Do you need a top-notch PC to use it?

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

05 Aug 2014 15:27

jontsuba wrote:Yesterday I watched Sunday's DaSquirrelsNuts' video playing ProMods 1.7 Beta and one thing astonished: how he could control the game camera moving his head! After a bit of research, i found that's achieved with TrackIR. Sounds really tempting, but I have some doubts. So, anyone that's got it: how is using it? Does it feel natural? Does it require a bit of practice? Do you need a top-notch PC to use it?
It's great. It really adds a lot to a game like ETS2, TDU or rFactor. The company who make them are called NaturalPoint and that name is very apt. The user just naturally points where he wants to look/go. The learning/adaptation curve is negligable. I've also not noticed any performance hit in any game I've used it with.
The only customization (from default) I've done is to reduce the movement exaggeration a little (for ETS2 one doesn't need to be able to look almost 360° around like for flightsims) and reduced the "deadzone", which was quite noticable and, again: for ETS2, most of the time, all that's needed is a small shift in vanishing point in order to negotiate a turn (obviously, looking in the offside mirrors or checking for a gap before pulling out into cross traffic requires bigger head movements).
I use reflectors on a cap to allow head tracking and the only remotely uncomfortable situation which arises is looking back out of the window when attaching or parking a trailer. Since I wear glasses, this would normally have me looking at the screen at too much of an angle. I cheat my way around this by pulling the cap to one side instead of turning my head. :P

If cost is an issue and you've (or someone you know has) some experience building electronic circuits, have a look a FreeTrack http://www.free-track.net, which uses a cheap webcam to accomplish the same thing. It's what I used before I had the opportunity to acquire my TrackIR.

Caveat emptor: I bought my TrackIR second hand off someone who would experience motion sickness after about 1/2 hour of use. Though I'm sensitive to motion sickness in real life (small boats/planes), I have had no trouble using the TrackIR so far, I've done 4-hour stints in endurance races no problem, but beware it might differ from person to person.
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

jontsuba
Donation rank:

05 Aug 2014 16:36

Okay, thanks for your feedback!

LazMohawk
Donation rank:

05 Aug 2014 21:19

I do use it and can't drive/game without it any longer. Bourght my TrackIr Pro4 last year and are falling of my chair if I've forgot to activate it...feels weird when it ain't activated :D

Use it for ETS2 - Arma III - iRacing - GTR2 - DTM Experience - AC (Assetto corsa).

Short story; It gives alot of realisme and joy to look around, allmost like in the real life. Love it. :P

A trip in my DAF with TrackIr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRbnfalP ... 0W9z4QgjVg

Uzi

06 Aug 2014 20:37

After buying ETS2 a month or two ago it was only a few days fo rme to decide on Track IR 5 after seeing youtube videos of it in use with this and other games.

I had seen TrackIR system before years back but had not been bitten bad by driving sims at that time and had doubts, like you.

Well it is the best 100 plus dollars I spent on a accessory besides a decent wheel for any game ever (been gaming since the 1980's).

Far as beast PC needed, no I don't think so, if the game is running okay with your system the TrackIR software I do not think will
cause much overhead. CPU use is minimal according to my task manager and low memory overhead.

I would recommend only fo rmost users the TrackIR 5 BASIC, as it works FINE and MOST people would never need the 'pro' version
with the LED emmitters. IMO it is inferior. It means extra wires to your head, the 'pro' version. It is also flimsy and breaks easily, as MANY
internet reviews state, I suggest reading the Amazon ones too.

TrackIR5 basic is working great here, same software as 'pro' only difference is not needed LED emmiter version.
the only people that NEED the LED driven reflector or I should say emmiter version is people who have their game rig facing a bright window or some crazy hot light situation behind their heads or perhaps are trying to use the unit more than 5 feet away from the TrackIR camera sensor.

Works best 2 to 3 feet from monitor that is according to their PDF instructions which I recommend you read at their web site.

I bought mine via Amazon , USA.

Use with Assetto Corsa too, and Rfactor2 and Dirt 3 at present.

before using this with ETS2 I used mouse 'look' and that works but is no where near as nice as trackir system .

Only downside I see, is the software requires admin rights each time it is run.
I do not like that but.... in this case I permit else it won't work.

be sure to follow their instructions when setting it up, software first, then and only then installl the hardware.

Works great on my win7 64 system.

jontsuba
Donation rank:

06 Aug 2014 23:26

Uzi wrote: Only downside I see, is the software requires admin rights each time it is run.
I do not like that but.... in this case I permit else it won't work.
Why don't you set in Properties>Compatibility to run as admin every time so you save an extra click?

Pumizo

18 Aug 2014 14:26

Been playing with TrackIr since 2008 and luv it. It adds so much to every type of driving simulators and even to other type of games.
I definitely recommend it!

Check this video of me using it with ETS1 back in 2008 (crappy PC back then) :mrgreen:

stummer
Donation rank:

18 Aug 2014 14:38

Hey, I know this wheel! I still use it!! :D

Pumizo

18 Aug 2014 15:58

stummer wrote:Hey, I know this wheel! I still use it!! :D
Yeah, G25 was the "state of art back" then but this one was nice too (and far cheaper) :mrgreen:

Almighty
Donation rank:

20 Aug 2014 21:16

stummer wrote:Hey, I know this wheel! I still use it!! :D
My first wheel was a Wingman Force Feedback I believe :P, but love my G27 :P

Ontopic: TrackIR is to expensive for me for the time I use it, because I would only use it with ETS2.
Happy trucking!

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information