Assets & General Improvements

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Nathan_A_RF
Donation rank:

24 May 2017 17:42

May I ask that the general map and city names be updated a bit in the next version? Some cities built by the Poland Rebuilding team have no city name on the map which I find quite annoying for jobs if I wanted to go there and pick one up. Also, could the background map be updated too, because it still shows some areas as dark grey, such as Russia, and Svalbard isn't even there! It's just the little things that make a difference, but I understand because of the map size if Svalbard won't fit on.
Grab the insecticide, I'm clearing bugs ~ Nathan_A_RF - Moderator, Beta Tester & Bug Fixer
Florence + The Machine / Fox Stevenson

Vøytek
Developer

24 May 2017 18:11

We can't add Svalbard to the map, unfortunately.

And small towns in Poland have to be hidden or you'll get so many names, that they'll overlap each other.
Most of them is delivery-only, so you have no reason to try clicking on them, as you would get an empty job list then.
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Nathan_A_RF
Donation rank:

24 May 2017 21:13

Vøytek wrote:
24 May 2017 18:11
We can't add Svalbard to the map, unfortunately.

And small towns in Poland have to be hidden or you'll get so many names, that they'll overlap each other.
Most of them is delivery-only, so you have no reason to try clicking on them, as you would get an empty job list then.
Well could Svalbard be moved closer to the Norwegian coast, or would that be impossible to comprehend? I assume though that those odd towns left by Poland Rebuilding will be deleted at some stage though, because of the uneven density from Poland to the rest of Europe.
Grab the insecticide, I'm clearing bugs ~ Nathan_A_RF - Moderator, Beta Tester & Bug Fixer

ETS2-User
Developer

24 May 2017 21:16

It wouldn't make much difference. The map is already so pixelated that we don't want to extend its boundaries even more.
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

Nathan_A_RF
Donation rank:

24 May 2017 21:19

ETS2-User wrote:
24 May 2017 21:16
It wouldn't make much difference. The map is already so pixelated that we don't want to extend its boundaries even more.
Well, that's a shame. I suppose some people wouldn't like it to be too pixilated, although it is hardly noticeable once zoomed in all the way. Whilst looking at the map just now though, I noticed one of the Estonian islands has no border around it when zoomed out. Could that be easily fixed?

M4rkus

24 May 2017 22:03

I agree with you - those small details certainly make a difference. In my opinion, if the map view is composed logically, it gives a tidier impression of the map mod as a whole. I too think, Svalbard's outlines should be on the map, even though if it needs to be moved closer to Norway for technical reasons. A possible workaround might be to include Svalbard in an "outside frame" like it's done with some real life maps if islands are too far away from the continent (e. g. where is now an empty part of Russia). Don't know if that's such a great idea, though. And overall map view doesn't look that tidy, a reason might be that the vanilla background image is relatively low detail and with Promods there's lots of additional cities with different sizes. Perhaps, another background would improve the looks of the map for you. There's a mod that changes the background to a satellite image, although I haven't tried that one yet.

Then I think, smaller towns should be labeled only when you zoom very closely. This way, the map view doesn't looked crammed and screwed with respect to population density. However, if you drive through a town that is on the map, it's nice to have it in the Route Advisor so you know where you are. I think this is actually doable with the def files but I don't know for sure. I wouldn't, however, delete the smaller towns from Promods Rebuilding. I actually quite like some of those pecularities of Poland Rebuilding ...

ScuL
Founder

26 May 2017 12:11

It's technically nearly impossible to add an outline of Svalbard to the map because the background map has a set scale (and fixed dimensions). If you increase the map to reach so far north, the rest of Europe will stretch and therefore the entire European continent will get very pixelated.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Nathan_A_RF
Donation rank:

28 May 2017 20:19

Well perhaps a test map in a next version or a survey could be carried out? I just find it irritating it isn't there, but that's my OCD probably 😉. Can I be assured though that the map will be updated to include parts of ProMods Russia as light grey, that the low estonian island has an outline, and that jersey has its own code. (GBJ) instead of just GB? Like I said, the little things make a difference quality wise...

ScuL
Founder

29 May 2017 02:13

We have already carried out that experiment and it looks horrible. The benefit of having Svalbard's outline does not justify having an ugly background map for the rest of Europe.
When other countries are added the background map will be adjusted. I believed that Jersey already had the GBJ code if not it shall be updated just like Isle of Man should have GBM.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

ScuL
Founder

29 May 2017 02:25

This is actually already done, I just checked
gbm.PNG
gbm.PNG (3.17 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
gbj.PNG
gbj.PNG (2.56 KiB) Viewed 1993 times

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information