France and Monaco Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
IvanGF14
Developer

15 Aug 2017 19:25

There is no way to make a city to be consistent with the size of the rest of the map

YNM

16 Aug 2017 07:23

IvanGF14 wrote:
15 Aug 2017 19:25
There is no way to make a city to be consistent with the size of the rest of the map
I know - inside city maps are meant to scale 1:3 - but most french DLC cities are too big. Rennes is represented as big as the Ruhr area. Paris is the size of Belgium. Even Bordeaux is bigger than Berlin. If one wants to make a city looks big surely it's by adding satellite cities (like Nurnberg and Furth, Salzburg and Grodig, Leipzig and Halle), not by making the cities the size of a small nation. ProMods Eindhoven looks big, but in truth it's including things like Venlo and such.

taurus31

16 Aug 2017 11:23

I v got the impression certains Cities are too big because their "périphérique" are overscaled. Maybe because Scs was too lazy (:P) to build good seceneries and it s "more easy" to build a ring with trees around, like Rennes, Bordeaux or even Paris where there is too much vegetation.

IvanGF14
Developer

16 Aug 2017 16:45

What do you prefer? A detailed city or a old crappy city? Details and good road network takes space

taurus31

16 Aug 2017 17:04

Details of course ;) But when I compare Promods quality and Scs, you made a better work concerning space optimization !

loupdargent

16 Aug 2017 17:49

taurus31 wrote:
16 Aug 2017 17:04
Details of course ;) But when I compare Promods quality and Scs, you made a better work concerning space optimization !
I couldn't say better ;)

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

16 Aug 2017 19:04

To be honest, I think some of Kutchek's motorways were built a bit too tight, which lead to unnaturally sharp curves, which I don't like. Personally, I don't mind the size of the cities in the France DLC. The only city I think is overblown is Rennes, for obvious reasons. However, SCS also took a look at it when it was done and came to the conclusion that it was not really such a good idea to build such a big Periferique. In the Italy DLC, you will see this a lot less. There are a few tricks to make the ring smaller:
  • Don't make the full ring road, so you can expand the inner city in the direction of the missing part, making the city itself look bigger while the semi-ring isn't overblown.
  • Instead of keeping everything inside of the Ring, build districts outside of the Ring. In quite some cases, this can actually make sense, since industrial areas are often on the outskirts of the city (see Paris CDG).
  • Put some of your companies in sattelite cities. This has also been applied in Italy quite a few times.
I don't think the rebuild of Paris is too big. Even in the old version it was bloated.
loupdargent wrote:
15 Aug 2017 12:09
And Mandelsoft, i have a question for you as i know you are part of the SCS team. In the game we have the Michelin pack DLC (very usefull when you have a garage in Clermont :) ), so my question is why Michelin as a company in the game is called "gomme du monde" instead? I can understand there are some rights problem, but the game already uses Michelin's image.
I don't know why exactly, but licensing still remains a complicated thing. If you have a license for one product, you may not be allowed to use it for another product, even if it's the same brand...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

loupdargent

16 Aug 2017 19:34

MandelSoft wrote:
I don't know why exactly, but licensing still remains a complicated thing. If you have a license for one product, you may not be allowed to use it for another product, even if it's the same brand...
That's what i was thinking about, thank you for answering. I hope in the future Gomme du Monde will become Michelin in the Promods TCP ;)

taurus31

16 Aug 2017 20:08

Thanks a lot Mandelsoft for your answer !
In fact you re right concerning Kutchek's Motorway. In the country Scs made a better work,very realistic , but I was talking about périphériques in particular Toulouse and Bordeaux where details and optimization was very great.
Great for Italy, It s a good news.

Loupdargent, I think we have the same point of view! :)

YNM

18 Aug 2017 19:23

IvanGF14 wrote:
16 Aug 2017 16:45
What do you prefer? A detailed city or a old crappy city? Details and good road network takes space
I prefer properly done cities and roads. It need not have everything, but as long as the relevant highlights are there, it's OK, it's great. Just like A55 - fellow ProMods developers don't include every cityscape, every tunnels and bridges, and every dual carriageways when making them, but they looks good in the end nonetheless - I want more like that. ;)
MandelSoft wrote:
Personally, I don't mind the size of the cities in the France DLC. The only city I think is overblown is Rennes, for obvious reasons. However, SCS also took a look at it when it was done and came to the conclusion that it was not really such a good idea to build such a big Periferique. In the Italy DLC, you will see this a lot less.
I really hope so ! Would be completely unrealistic to have short mountain sections and big cities flanking it...

I actually also don't mind overblown cities. However, unless you're in Russia, you're not going to have everything. RusMap's Volgograd and Saratov areas, for example, are nicely done and big and extensive, but they also have the empty space to expand the cities into. France... well, I'd love to see more scenery or tiny towns or fields or villages or something instead.
MandelSoft wrote:
To be honest, I think some of Kutchek's motorways were built a bit too tight, which lead to unnaturally sharp curves, which I don't like.
I think this have more to do with shape optimization. I've seen other devs do something similar within the same space. Also, merges are always "straight", which is clearly not the case IRL. Maybe SCS could have curved ones in the future ?

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information