Faroe Islands and Iceland Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
martinusK

11 Sep 2015 15:19

Indeed and realistically, the snow isnt' even there
ProMods developer for Estonia Image
Currently working on another bit of Estonia, you'll see it in the Euromir thread soon enough

Purno
Donation rank:

11 Sep 2015 15:31

I chose to add snow to Iceland to add variation to the whole map. Currently all of Europe is grassy green.

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

11 Sep 2015 17:47

Martinus Kundla wrote:And IMHO the snowy-physics areas should be removed, they don't really make sense. Instead i would prefer snowy roads everywhere, with slightly altered physics. But that's up to the devs ;)
I agree, it's not Purno's fault, more the ETS2 engine, that the snow physics set up just doesn't feel right.

Abraxas

11 Sep 2015 19:09

Martinus Kundla wrote:The main issue i see here is the way two different surfaces collide in snowy areas. And IMHO the snowy-physics areas should be removed, they don't really make sense. Instead i would prefer snowy roads everywhere, with slightly altered physics. But that's up to the devs ;)
You are right. In green areas it's not that visible with darker and less shiny textures. Plus you have grass and other vegetation to hide transitions between two surfaces. Unfortunately we can't do seamless, dreamy landscape, but we try to do our best .Snow physics are bad. I'll see if we can do anything about it, but AFAIK it's somewhere in game core and can't be modded much.
Martinus Kundla wrote:Indeed and realistically, the snow isn't even there
So I didn't see 10m snow banks in late May? My holiday photos must be photoshopped :P In my opinion making snowy Iceland was a great idea. Of course if you don't like it you can use only south routes. We are aware that we can't please everybody, but many users like that snowy landscape and noone forces players to take jobs to snow parts of Iceland.

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

11 Sep 2015 19:48

Martinus Kundla wrote:Indeed and realistically, the snow isnt' even there
Really? Then all that white stuff in the photo is what? Dandruff? :lol:

Then in 2012 this never happened:
In Skagafjörður, North Iceland, farmers were looking for sheep last weekend. Smári Borgarson from Goðdalir found a lamb on Saturday, which was alive after having been trapped in a snowdrift for 18 days
http://icelandreview.com/news/2012/10/0 ... under-snow
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

martinusK

11 Sep 2015 21:19

Indeed at winter the snow is there, but in the time the game takes place (late summer i think?) the snow isn't there (i think). I could be wrong on this tho, not sure about Icelandic weather and summer temperatures.
ProMods developer for Estonia Image
Currently working on another bit of Estonia, you'll see it in the Euromir thread soon enough

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

11 Sep 2015 21:41

Imo the snow physics are ok IRL it's far worse
You can get around uisng decent machinery and on manual
When we have heavy snowfall in Denmark it is a standstill for every average underpowered truck driven by an unskilled driver
There's a reason why Norway and Sweden are discussing special driver requirements/licence for entering during winter
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

Abraxas

11 Sep 2015 23:54

Martinus Kundla wrote:Indeed at winter the snow is there, but in the time the game takes place (late summer i think?) the snow isn't there (i think). I could be wrong on this tho, not sure about Icelandic weather and summer temperatures.
Late May 2015.

Purno
Donation rank:

12 Sep 2015 11:14

Abraxas wrote:
Martinus Kundla wrote:Indeed at winter the snow is there, but in the time the game takes place (late summer i think?) the snow isn't there (i think). I could be wrong on this tho, not sure about Icelandic weather and summer temperatures.
Could take a few months to melt down during summer, I guess?

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

12 Sep 2015 14:04

"Looking for sheep in the snow" sounds like a good start for a bad joke :D

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information