Faroe Islands and Iceland Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

25 Jul 2014 00:04

Chris94_NOR wrote:Now this is looking great, but do you have any updates of the location where the port will be, to get to/from Iceland?
I know this a very L O N G thread, but your answer is on page 3:
Seydisfjordur is the town the ferry goes to.
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

AlexanderPope
Donation rank:

25 Jul 2014 01:05

That second to last image is amazing, unlike anything else in ETS2. Love this work, excellent job! Taking your time is clearly showing results.
Heaven from all creatures hides the book of Fate,
All but the page prescribed, their present state:
From brutes what men, from men what spirits know:
Or who could suffer being here below?

LoaderSaints

25 Jul 2014 07:02

That 12th screenshot is epic! Brings memories of MotorStorm Pacific Rift: The Badlands... Still looking forward to drive those roads! :D Great work Purno!

Purno
Donation rank:

25 Jul 2014 07:25

n4gix.bill.leaming wrote:
Chris94_NOR wrote:Now this is looking great, but do you have any updates of the location where the port will be, to get to/from Iceland?
I know this a very L O N G thread, but your answer is on page 3:
Seydisfjordur is the town the ferry goes to.
Actually, information like this is gathered in the very first post of this topic, which I'll keep up to date.
the very first post of this topic wrote:Seyðisfjörður: Ferry point from/to Hirtshals (done)
--------------------------------
AlexanderPope wrote:That second to last image is amazing, unlike anything else in ETS2. Love this work, excellent job! Taking your time is clearly showing results.
Thanks, glad you like it. I feared that specific part might be considered too boring. :oops:

--------------------------------

On a side note, I'll be helping PH-AMG with his project in Germany, mainly placing traffic signs and navigation signs. While I'm editing his work, I won't be working on Iceland. PH-AMG has access to the files for Iceland, so it's quite possible he'll do some work on Iceland. So, I won't be posting updates on Iceland for a while.

PH-AMG

28 Jul 2014 09:31

Hey Guys,

As you may have noticed, Purno and I changed roles for a while.
To be honest I am quite lazy in doing signage, so I let Purno do all the dirty work for now :roll:

And so far he is doing an awesome job on Northern Germany.

I decided to take on Iceland for the moment and see if there is anything I can do.

I am stunned by Purno's work there. Be aware that due to limitations of the editor it's hard to recreate this part of the world and so far he did a very good job.

In my opinion the editor is created to create mainly scenery in the foreground. Background options are still limited.
Iceland is a country however where scenery is dominated by it's impressive background landscape.

So my main focus lies on creating this dominating background scenery whilst at the same time respecting Purno's scenery as much as possible.

Thereafter I will try to recreate the Iceland's Northern Route and see if I can help on Reykjavik.

Please have a look at the following screenshots, which are just a tryout of what my options are in the Editor. Any suggestions are of course more than welcome.

No forest but just a bunch of mini spruces:

Instead of using pointy mountains, rounder smoother mountains fit better here ( only limited to one option however)

Along the coast I am creating multiple volcanic beaches as well:

Purno
Donation rank:

28 Jul 2014 09:55

That's some nice improvements PH-AMG! Keep up the good work, and looking forward to your part of the northern route. Are you starting in Reykjavík or starting from Seyðisfjörður? Also, I had planned the snowline (line between snowy part and the grassy part of Iceland) somewhere between Reykjavík and the juction with route 54. But it's also possible to move that line further up north, somewhere between the junction with route 60 and the junction with route 68. :)

realdeal350
Developer

28 Jul 2014 10:52

Wow. Just, simply wow. :o
Just a question half of Iceland is on the American plate and the other half is on the Eurasian plate, and where those plates meet in Iceland, there is a line of black rocks. Are you going to add that into Iceland? :?:
Spain developer
Canada developer
Regional Co-ordinator for the Roman region

Languages: English, italiano

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

28 Jul 2014 13:35

It's amazing what you guys are able to acchieve using, what seems to me, a very unwieldy editor.

People can say what they will about this game, but it can be beautifull and atmospheric at times.
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

Purno
Donation rank:

28 Jul 2014 13:59

Well, the editor is pretty user-friendly, although it has it's limits. One of these limits is the draw distance. SCS has been abusing trees to hide distant scenery, but that's not really an option for Iceland. Additionally, there's very limited models available. Obviously we could create our custom models, but that's a time consuming job and requires skills only a very few of us master (or so I have understood). All those rocks in this screenshot are all the same model. The only thing we can do to make variation is to scale them up or down, rotate them, or partially hide them in the landscape. Same with the mountains in this screenshot, there's one model to work with. They can be scaled, moved up or down, or rotated to add some kind of variation.

Snow-zones are even worse. There's 1 snow texture. There's 1 snowy road texture. There's a handfull of snowcovered houses. There's no snow covered rocks. There's no snow covered walls. There's no snow covered prefabs (crossings etc).

I'm quite curious to see how PH-AMG is handling those problems when he's starting work on a snow-zone.

PH-AMG

28 Jul 2014 14:21

Purno wrote:
I'm quite curious to see how PH-AMG is handling those problems when he's starting work on a snow-zone.
Rocks are my secret weapon ;) I will have to find another way.

Anyway, I hope we can get ourselves a new snow texture soon :)

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information