Italian Peninsula Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
lelux

07 Dec 2017 08:17

No space for this?

YNM

07 Dec 2017 09:54

Maybe they should've made the A12 actually ending on A91 (the one to the airport) ? Probably then there'd be plenty of space.

Guess SCS isn't as keen to invade the sea.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

07 Dec 2017 09:56

lelux wrote:
07 Dec 2017 08:17
No space for this?
Nope. Scenery from the surrounding parts is occupying that space. It already took a lot of trickery to make the current scenery fit with some clever cut-plane usage. And I've been personally responsible for the design of the GRA and the A12 and surroundings.

To illustrate the situation: the whole area is split in four parts (borders are drawn in blue), some of them overlapping each other:
But this overlapping can only work in some extent: all nodes must be at "your" side of the cut-plane to be visible. So even "cheating" with space is not an option here; it has already been done.
Now you want to route your road through all four scenes (the red path on the image). As you can see, this cuts right through scenery from other parts of Rome. So this is definitely not an option.

This is what I meant with having no space in Rome to do this...
YNM wrote:
Maybe they should've made the A12 actually ending on A91 (the one to the airport) ? Probably then there'd be plenty of space.
Look closely: it already does.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

lelux

07 Dec 2017 09:58

YNM wrote:

Guess SCS isn't as keen to invade the sea.
Yes.. look also Pescara. This city lies on the Adriatic sea. I don't understand his position too much far from the coast. Mandelsoft, thanks for the explanation ;)

M4rkus

07 Dec 2017 12:13

Good explanation. But if there's so little space, why place a farm there instead of the ring road?

Shiva

07 Dec 2017 12:44

Mandelsoft, the Messina / Villa San Giovanni is nicely done.

For me, it looks as if SCS has done pre work for map modders to add more cities and roads, both in France and Italy DLC.
+ maybe future additions by SCS itself too.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

YNM

07 Dec 2017 14:47

MandelSoft wrote:
07 Dec 2017 09:56
YNM wrote:
Look closely: it already does.
... Not really.

Here's the real-world condition :
(blue is the closest IRL representative of in-game; red is my proposed "shift".)

I'm not sure what SCS is using for their "base map", but the A91 between A90 and A12 appears more in-line with the A90's continuation. Considering that, there's a possibility that the A12 made/built/drawn is actually closer to SS1; If that were to be omitted, the tiny stub that for the time being serves as the airport / Fiumicino would be better placed for the actual ending of A12, with Fiumicino and the airport "floating on the sea" to the west of it.

Hence why I said SCS is probably less keen on making things on the sea, unlike ProMods devs (Dublin, Barcelona, Bilbao, Trieste...) ;)

CptCaribbean

07 Dec 2017 15:10

In the future could you please improve the Fiumicino airport (Rome's one). The airport is on a side, so I guess it would fit (idk).
Junior Beta-Tester since 2.26

Translator of Spanish, Catalan, Euskera and Galician.

lelux

07 Dec 2017 16:34

Mh now it's clear.. we have about an half of the G.R.A (the east half) and, to the left the A 12 to Civitavecchia. In this case, that area needs a serious rework! Fortunately there's a lot of space that can be "stole" to the sea, as promods developers wisely do!

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

07 Dec 2017 17:24

I still have to call off any plans to rebuild this area. The main purpose of the incomplete ring was to allow more space for Rome itself. And as you can see, that was necessary. I think rebuilding just for the sake of completing the Ring will actually make matters worse, not better:
  • Rome airport ends up way far in the sea, because you have to move it a lot to free up space to make the GRA go around Rome.
  • The GRA is heavily deformed; you have to zig-zag in-between different sceneries.
  • Performance will get worse.
  • You may lose some really nice rural scenery and a unique delivery point (with tight, challenging turns) if you remove the farm; OR you have to sacrifice what little of Rome is there already, which will look even stranger. Take your pick, you can't have both due to the scale...
If I would do it all over again, I would've done the same. Heck, even in the original plans from ProMods, there was never a complete GRA planned. What was planned then? Yes, this exact part of the GRA as SCS delivered, because it connects all major corridors while leaving enough space for Roma itself.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information