Germany Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
MandelSoft
Lead Developer

20 Jan 2016 22:44

If you want to see an area that is optimised like crazy, it's Irun/Donostia. That thing is stuffed with cut-planes!

What also helps are:
- Setting detailed grass off for far-away terrain items
- Use low-poly vegetation and models for far way
- Tweak the drawing distance of objects, so detailed objects only appear when you are near enough.

All of these add a significant contribution to the performance.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

gregory.huizer
Donation rank:

21 Jan 2016 11:14

Sorry for my off topic request, but could you please make a thread in the Promods Academy section explaining the optimization process and showing pics/videos in which you show some work in progress and giving tips?
Would be very welcome for my 1:1 Map so I'm able to make it run smoother...
Thanx in advance!
Last edited by gregory.huizer on 21 Jan 2016 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

BarbeQ

21 Jan 2016 12:09

I recognised some serious FPS drops in the area around Munich, especially on the A99 interchanges. Here I have drops into the 10 FPS range, whereas elsewhere I have a performance of at least 40 FPS (gfx settings maxed, 1920x1080, 200% scaling). Playing with my gfx settings didn't help. I can bring my average FPS above 100 by reducing vegetation drawing distance, shadow quality and mirror distance to the medium settings. But the heavy FPS hits do still happen. Reducing the scaling didn't change much either.

PC specs:
Intel i7 CPU
12 GB RAM
Enough space on SSD
ASUS Strix GTX980
Win 8.1

Does anyone else experiance the same? Is Munich metropolitan area really that performance hungry?

gregory.huizer
Donation rank:

21 Jan 2016 12:39

It's not so much about your RAM memory, but about what your graphics card can handle...
But I believe SCS should work on making the game run smoother with perhaps a new engine...

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

21 Jan 2016 12:48

Changing the game engine is not as easy as it sounds..

But, back to topic now :)
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

RapidMarco

21 Jan 2016 16:01

BarbeQ wrote:I recognised some serious FPS drops in the area around Munich, especially on the A99 interchanges. Here I have drops into the 10 FPS range, whereas elsewhere I have a performance of at least 40 FPS (gfx settings maxed, 1920x1080, 200% scaling). Playing with my gfx settings didn't help. I can bring my average FPS above 100 by reducing vegetation drawing distance, shadow quality and mirror distance to the medium settings. But the heavy FPS hits do still happen. Reducing the scaling didn't change much either.

PC specs:
Intel i7 CPU
12 GB RAM
Enough space on SSD
ASUS Strix GTX980
Win 8.1

Does anyone else experiance the same? Is Munich metropolitan area really that performance hungry?
Is your CPU an i7 47xx? You could suffer from a bottleneck if your CPU is instead an i7 2600 for example, or i7 950-960 etc...
If it's an i7 47xx, or even an i7 6700, it's strange, even if the map is really heavy because of its detail. You shouldn't have any problem with a 980.

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

21 Jan 2016 17:09

Runs nice on i5 4560 and HD 7970
Please provide coordinates where you have the drops as otherwise can take some time to find without
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

BarbeQ

21 Jan 2016 19:40

@RapidMarco: It's an i7 4790K on an ASUS Z97 board. There shouldn't be any bottleneck in this PC, trust me. It was built to run The Witcher 3 on max - and that is precisely what it does :D And I never experianced any performance issues in ETS (+ProMods) until my recent update to v2.0.

@plykkegaard: I will make some further tests later in the evening and try to get the coordinates of those spots. I also plan to activate the TC monitor to get a better feeling of the actual load put on my PC.

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

21 Jan 2016 20:32

Thanks
Less than 3 mill should be ok
Goal is 2.5 mill
Eg Norway has some 3 mill spots, original SCS work
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

BarbeQ

21 Jan 2016 21:32

I made some further tests with activated console. The TC seemed OK but I noticed a huge pile of yellow messages of this type:

Code: Select all

<WARNING> Dropped 2519 instances of '/model/vegetation/grass/grass_green2.pmd' exceeding the per-item rendering limit (65536). Reduce instanced model density or increase instanced model (grass/tree) variability by using profile with more model types.
And all these messages were written into my logfile, too. Hundreds of write calls... no wonder my performance went down!
After some research I stumbled uppon a thread in the SCS forum, where this was linked to an settings entry about vegetation details. Turned out that I had also used this to "Custom" - according to the forum entry, this is some legacy setting since the maximum allowed value was reduced with one of the latest ETS updates by SCS. After I switched the setting to "High", The messages didn't appear anymore and Munich runs on a solid 50-60 FPS range now.

Adendum: SCS forum link http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=174&t=195900 with further details on this warning message.

Sorry for bothering you with this. In the end, it was something totally different.

PS. Munich is stunning. The whole ARP work is really great. Guess, that's why I was so disappointed by the problems I had while driving there. Now I can enjoy it. Thank you to the creators! :D

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information