Finland and Åland Islands Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Platypus
Developer

23 Jan 2016 21:00

I would share today my opinion about some points ...

My goal was at origin (and still is) to expend the map with a quality corresponding to SCS areas (or better if possible). I think I reached it.

However, some requests becomes more and more exigent ... Requests for rebuilding already done areas, for customized interchanges everywhere, ...

About custom interchanges, I agree that they gives a nice touch but I don't see any reason to replace absolutely all interchanges prefab by customized ones (and sorry, but I will not do it). The same with replacing the actual sidewalks by SC ones. It's not so simple and nearly implies to rebuild the city. Already, replacing all vegetation by new SC one was a big job.

I'm a bit tired of this :( I'm actually very busy with other real life projects (at office and others) but the deep reason I did'nt map from some time is to receive all those remarks... People should understand that I do this work in Finland (and other areas) during my free time and for no charge. I can't remember anymore the
number of hours I spent on it.

Sorry to have to post it, but it's what I'm actually feeling ...

Regards,
Platypus

Rocar 512E

23 Jan 2016 21:25

Nicley done

Starfruit 017

23 Jan 2016 21:26

I understand, I know that custom interchanges can take over 2 hours to do. But however, the repetitive nature of the same exit styles gets annoying, maybe other members can help out.

By the way I think it was Platypus who built Rovaniemi so very good job! All the cities in Finland in my opinion reach or out do SCS standard ;)
Join my forum : My Forum!

View my Projects: My Map Work

Darkfizch
Donation rank:

23 Jan 2016 21:41

I didn't mean that you should immediately get to it. I was merely suggesting it for when you've finished the rest of Finland.
I do have to say that Finland so far looks superb and I especially enjoy driving in the northern parts.

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

23 Jan 2016 21:44

The time you put into mapping is beyond exceptional. You (and Zelva) have built the 7th largest country in Europe.. From scratch! Thank you for your work.

I would like to see the complainers try to improve the map themselves.
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

mbman212
Donation rank:

23 Jan 2016 22:36

Don't worry, you've done already a significant and a fabulous job expanding Finland and I'm proud of your (and Zelvas') work ;)

Real life is more important than mapping in ETS2 so take your time :)
#8 Forum Spammer

ETS2 v1.38.1.15, ProMods 2.5x, DLC content

12,50% explored
Driven km 67,200
2957 hours of ETS2

ATS v1.38x, DLC content

29,46% explored
Driven mi 19,000
271 hours of ATS

ZelvaCZ

23 Jan 2016 23:03

We are aware that there are still some missing (or almost missing) things in Finland, earlier mentioned custom interchanges are among them all.
Building custom interchanges, at least from my point of view, is the most time-consuming part of mapping. Some team members build them faster, but in my case it's more than an hour (maybe two) for a small, regular custom intersection. Filling terrain gaps on custom interchanges is, honestly, the most annoying part of mapping in my opinion.
But the more I build them, the quicker I am - that's obvious, that's how it usually is with all other things.

I hope that, one day, we will see Finland with many more custom interchanges. 2.10, 2.20, 2.30, who knows?

About rebuilding older parts of Finland - I was thinking about it, I have written down a few places that can be improved (some parts of Tornio for example). But as Platypus stated, extending the map is now our main priority. West, east, north, all the possible directions.

Replacing old sidewalks with the new, and definitely prettier sidewalks? That would be amazing. But it really almost equals rebuilding the city from scratch.
Sidewalks have different width -> one has to adjust the buildings -> they don't fit exactly to the new roads -> they need to be moved, removed and placed again, and so on.

It's hard to imagine how much time I spend in the editor, even for me actually. In the past year, it was around 800 hours, which is more than a month of time, in one year.
Yes, maybe it would be better if I spent the time learning for school. Or exercising, I could pick up another hobby, help other people, whatever. But I'm here, building virtual roads, two hours a day on average, without any profit. Just for you, to enjoy this game even more. And I'm happy with it ;)

Starfruit 017

23 Jan 2016 23:08

I am forever grateful :)
Join my forum : My Forum!

View my Projects: My Map Work

TheRayLV

23 Jan 2016 23:34

The rebuilding thing should be in the last place for all map projects here imo. So yea reaching portugal and south of the italy and north parts of the sweden and finland should be the main priority and projects like austria, czech republic could wait :roll:

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

24 Jan 2016 01:25

I do think that some areas in Finland could really use some reconstruction (the south side of Tampere, for instance). I don't imply that Platypus has to do it all by himself; Ostpuff might want to take the Tornio/Haparanda rebuild when he's going connect the E4 to it, and I want to take the challenge of replacing the majority of standard interchanges with custom ones. I've
done quite some rebuilding in the past and revisit already completed areas. But I can't make any promises if I'll be able to customise every single interchange in Finland.

However, the most valuable resource during mapping is limited and one thing that can't be bought: time, or actually, people spending time on mapping this area. Realise that people just want us to work everywhere at once and it's therefore impossible to fulfil all requests. We have to set priorities, and we work only on the projects that keep us motivated to work on them. We do have lots of plans ourselves too, and even if we set aside all requests, we can't even realise all of our own desires too.

The only way we can fulfil more requests is a simple one: more man-power. But that's easier said than done, since our mappers need a certain level (and co-operative attitude) before they can join our project. So that is a tricky subject...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information