[Fixed] OpenGL texture problems

This is where fixed bugs are moved into
edwinv

01 Dec 2014 00:13

No chance of fixing it until you know how.

No luck with debugging yet either. VOGL makes ETS2 crash. I'll have another go when I have more time though.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

04 Dec 2014 00:46

thanks for the head's up

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

09 Dec 2014 10:07

bad tobj files in v181:

Code: Select all

88 39  ./material/overlay/road_it_a10.tobj
88 39  ./material/overlay/road_it_a12.tobj
88 39  ./material/overlay/road_it_a13.tobj
88 39  ./material/overlay/road_it_a14.tobj
88 39  ./material/overlay/road_it_a15.tobj
88 39  ./material/overlay/road_nl_a76.tobj
88 39  ./material/overlay/road_nl_e25.tobj
88 39  ./vehicle/trailer_eu/forklift/shadow.tobj
ff 12  ./model/sign/signs2/sign1.tobj
bad textures:

Code: Select all

./font/license_plate/romania_0.dds
./material/overlay/city_fr_pau_br.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a1.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a10.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a12.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a13.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a14.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a15.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a16.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a18.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a19.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a3.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a32.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a4.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a5.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a50.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a51.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a7.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_a9.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_e35.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_e45.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_e55.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_e62.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_e64.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_e70.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_e80.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_gra.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_t2.dds
./material/overlay/road_it_t4.dds
./model/atspeed/textures/speed-at.dds
./model/finland/helsinki/helsinki_cathedral/helsinki_cathedral.dds
./model/itdturn/textures/speed-at.dds
./model/itspeed/textures/speed-at.dds
./model/ittraffic/textures/traffic_signs_it_a.dds
./model/sign/signs2/sign1.dds
./model/sign/traffic/border_ro.dds
./model/sign/traffic/oradea_enter.dds
./model/sign/traffic/traffic_signs_hu.dds
./model/sign/traffic/traffic_signs_ro.dds
./vehicle/trailer_eu/transporter/fh/hc-chrome_n.dds

I made a patch with 00 01 tobj files and re-encoded dds. The font problem remains.
The world map logo flicker seems to be rarer but can still be found near Roterdam :(

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

15 Jan 2015 13:02

as OpenGL patch was not included in 1.83, I'm sharing it here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 8707197139

By the way, this thread is NOT about install/crash issues so it should go back to 'Bug Reports' subforum

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

15 Jan 2015 16:57

Topic moved.
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

cobb1950
Donation rank:

15 Jan 2015 17:18

As a Linux user I have no choice but to use OpenGL. I have experienced virtually all the problems noted in the first post. Unfortunately this makes ProMods unusable. If it's any consolation all addon maps for ETS2 have the same problem. I'm just posting to thank LA-MJ for his work on this matter. Keep up the good work, hopefully someday I'll be able to use this wonderful map.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

15 Jan 2015 17:49

cobb1950 wrote:As a Linux user I have no choice but to use OpenGL. I have experienced virtually all the problems noted in the first post. Unfortunately this makes ProMods unusable. If it's any consolation all addon maps for ETS2 have the same problem. I'm just posting to thank LA-MJ for his work on this matter. Keep up the good work, hopefully someday I'll be able to use this wonderful map.
Personally, I'm determined to endure this issue. The first problem almost never appears (although there are some problems with Malmo signs in Sweden, I think), the navigation problem is rarer still, the fonts can be fixed by reloading the profile (extremely annoying to be sure), and other issues are minor...

I've explored 90%+ of Promods map actually....

The fact that my patches can't eliminate everything hints there is another unknown problem that is the cause of all this. I've asked ScuL to get some support from SCS (their assets have no problems in OpenGL at all) a few times already but he hasn't relayed any information at all. I wonder who are the ones neglecting this. Maybe we need to go to SCS forums directly. Perhaps it's possible to get some attention there now that Mac owners have access to the game as well. It seemed a wrong move to me initially because it's the modders' assets that cause issues not theirs.

Linux guys are used to fixing their own problems but I don't have the technical knowledge of all this modelling stuff. Unfortunately OpenGL debugger by Valve which I was willing to try has been reported as not working for ETS either. Game developer tools on linux are notoriously hard to set up due to general platform neglect for all those years :/

ScuL
Founder

15 Jan 2015 17:54

We have tried saving textures in lots of different formats, DXT5, DXT3, 8:8:8 ... and I can't find a format that doesn't cause any issues in OpenGL.

If you can provide a platform that allows me to save the corrupt graphics in a way that they don't create problems I am happy to replace the "bad" files.

Unfortunately SCS don't really have any tool that is workable for us, as all their work is PSD(/photoshop) and Maya, and they use custom written interpreters to process the DDS textures which we are unable to run.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

15 Jan 2015 18:02

ScuL wrote:If you can provide a platform that allows me to save the corrupt graphics in a way that they don't create problems I am happy to replace the "bad" files.
The problem is we clearly don't know which files are bad and why. After all, replacing those that I manage to find hardly helps. Only the original issue with those 'carnival' trucks and unreadable signs is fixed. The tobj files are easy to hunt down. Other problems still linger though.
Unfortunately SCS don't really have any tool that is workable for us, as all their work is PSD(/photoshop) and Maya, and they use custom written interpreters to process the DDS textures which we are unable to run.
Well that's something we could spank SCS for. They have promised to release blender tools years ago afaik. It shouldn't be that hard to rewrite those interpreters in python. I bet one of their more knowledgeable guys could do that in a week. Assuming they aren't python scripts to begin with :P

I understand they have other priorities now. But then perhaps we need to start some commotion so they would reconsider?

edwinv

03 Feb 2015 23:35

It would probably help if you could trigger one or more of the problems with a very small mod.

I still suspect there is an engine bug that is only triggered by a combination of unexpected things in the assets.

Also, I still plan to debug this thing some more. But since I got a new house recently, I have absolutely no time right now.

Return to “Fixed bugs ETS2”

• Information