[Fixed] OpenGL texture problems

This is where fixed bugs are moved into
MandelSoft
Lead Developer

28 Aug 2014 20:35

You have just opened a WIP IKEA model from SCS. This is not our work, but it's for the new Go North DLC. We have not used this prefab anywhere on the map due to the earlier mentioned texture bugs that also occur in Windows.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

28 Aug 2014 21:33

MandelSoft wrote:You have just opened a WIP IKEA model from SCS. This is not our work, but it's for the new Go North DLC. We have not used this prefab anywhere on the map due to the earlier mentioned texture bugs that also occur in Windows.
hehe, way to make me feel stupid :D

the plugin suggests to merge assets before importing models from mods ;)

I have no idea how I could mistake it for the warehouse :D

Anyway, I can see no problems in other ikea prefabs :(

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

28 Aug 2014 22:35

MandelSoft wrote:You have just opened a WIP IKEA model from SCS. This is not our work, but it's for the new Go North DLC. We have not used this prefab anywhere on the map due to the earlier mentioned texture bugs that also occur in Windows.
Wait a second... you mean SCS are making us download (and share if we go via torrent) stuff which a) isn't in the game and b) isn't even finished yet? -they do realise our internet access isn't free, right (and disk space on an SSD sure isn't either)?

How would they feel if I put unused extra components and experimental software in their home automation gear and charged them for it?
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 07:58

You were most likely sarcastic but in any case Promods also countains assets from countries not yet released. It's just less maintanence this way I believe.

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 10:27

LA-MJ wrote:You were most likely sarcastic but in any case Promods also countains assets from countries not yet released. It's just less maintanence this way I believe.
Exaggerating to make a point is not really sarcasm. ;)
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

edwinv

05 Oct 2014 00:39

I've been driving quite a bit and it's interesting to see how this problem differs over the map. Some problems (like the changing icons on the map) are always there, be others (like the satnav colours) only seem to happen in certain areas.

I also added Poland Rebuilding and RusMap to the game. RusMap appears to be even worse. The corruption of in game textures starts immediately and given enough time the game becomes almost unrecognisable.

I had a theory that the .dds files might have been to blame. So I did some experiments using the MHA map (I used that one because it consistently corrupts the font when you enter the job market). Comparing the .dds files to ETS2 I found major differences in the mipmaps. SCS only has two options, none or all. With all I mean that the number of mipmaps is enough to reduce the largest size to 1. So even a texture of 256x32 would have 9 mipmaps. Almost all textures in mods have lower mipmap counts, so I converted every texture that was different. Unfortunately, no effect at all.

Back to the drawing board.

I was wondering. Does this happen on Windows+OpenGL as well? What about Intel or AMD cards on Windows or Linux?

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

11 Oct 2014 09:22

I can confirm RusMap is the worst. Hence I only tried it for an hour or so. And OpenGL problem affects Windows users as well. That's why the original thread was opened. The 'solution' is to switch to DX mode.

edwinv

14 Oct 2014 23:10

Did another test. Installed the ETS2 demo using wine and ran the game with the MHA map. In directx mode it works flawlessly. Well, besides the terrible performance. In OpenGL mode I get most of the errors. The only one that I couldn't trigger was the font corruption.

What's interesting about this is that the even though the game is in directx mode, it still displays through opengl because of the directx-to-opengl layer in Wine. This means that either the dx engine or the conversion layer removes the problem.

Also interesting is that there is no font corruption in opengl. Since Wine only passes things on, how can it prevent this problem?

When I have some time, I'll try to run it through an opengl debugger.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2014 16:14

@edwinv have you tried debugging it yet?
I am considering trying out the vogl debugger. I haven't got any experience with OpenGL debugging though. I have only dealt with python, java and web development until now.

synlic

23 Nov 2014 16:29

Can confirm that text is still bugging out when opening freight market on promods 1.8.

WA is accepting the job, then go to the profile selection screen and then enter the game again. No need for restart.

Return to “Fixed bugs ETS2”

• Information