Framedrop and lags since 1.9x

Installation problems or game crashes? Post them here.
Forum rules
ALWAYS FOLLOW OUR SELF-HELP GUIDE FIRST.

If you report a game crash ALWAYS post your game.log.txt in between CODE tags, or if it too large post it on pastebin.com and share the link.
plykkegaard
Donation rank:

09 Apr 2015 19:10

Here you go, it's the config.cfg in the my documents/<game> folder
http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... ig#p358433
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

09 Apr 2015 20:52

Freejack_ wrote:
Volleybal4life wrote:I say, it's still a PC issue.
My PC has worse specs then yours, and I haven't got any problems at all.
  • Running more mods then ProMods alone perhaps?
    Running the 64-bit version of the game? The 3-2 it version only uses 4gb of your 12 gb ram.
    Running in OpenGL or DirectX?

It's a bit too easy to blame ProMods for the framedrops..
So what your saying is the specs here for starters is low end:

CPU is AMD FX 8120 Octocore @ 3.5GHZ
GPU is GTX 970
16GB of Ram

It is on Linux 64bit so it is Opengl. You must have missed the part were I tested the mods and did each of them individually and even did it under brand new profiles for each individual mod.

Now with that said the frame rates did not change. Dropping graphics settings did not make a difference other than a few fps. Now with earlier versions of ProMods I ran it on the same box with a GTX 650 TI and then a GTX 750 TI and then a GTX 670 FTW with no issues. So the GTX 970 TI is a problem? I am going to say it's regression in the mod. The box has always had the same cpu and ram. Improve GPU and it performs less makes no sense. I ahave other high end games that run great at 60+ FPS on high settings.
GTX 970 is not well supported under open source drivers (nouveau). You have to use the proprietary blob from nvidia.

Freejack_

10 Apr 2015 02:06

LA-MJ wrote:
Freejack_ wrote:
Volleybal4life wrote:I say, it's still a PC issue.
My PC has worse specs then yours, and I haven't got any problems at all.
  • Running more mods then ProMods alone perhaps?
    Running the 64-bit version of the game? The 3-2 it version only uses 4gb of your 12 gb ram.
    Running in OpenGL or DirectX?

It's a bit too easy to blame ProMods for the framedrops..
So what your saying is the specs here for starters is low end:

CPU is AMD FX 8120 Octocore @ 3.5GHZ
GPU is GTX 970
16GB of Ram

It is on Linux 64bit so it is Opengl. You must have missed the part were I tested the mods and did each of them individually and even did it under brand new profiles for each individual mod.

Now with that said the frame rates did not change. Dropping graphics settings did not make a difference other than a few fps. Now with earlier versions of ProMods I ran it on the same box with a GTX 650 TI and then a GTX 750 TI and then a GTX 670 FTW with no issues. So the GTX 970 TI is a problem? I am going to say it's regression in the mod. The box has always had the same cpu and ram. Improve GPU and it performs less makes no sense. I ahave other high end games that run great at 60+ FPS on high settings.
GTX 970 is not well supported under open source drivers (nouveau). You have to use the proprietary blob from nvidia.
Again let me point this out, I am not a Linux newby have been using Linux since 1996. I am running the nvidia drivers Driver Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 346.47 . Now that is out of the way. This has run and performed better on a GTX650 TI which was replaced with a GTX 750 TI and then a GTX 670 FTW which made it run smooth. I now have a GTX 970 and it performs worse.

I see this in the log file, could this possibly be causing issues?

00:08:51.401 : <ERROR> [gl] unable to map attribute (v.tangent)
00:08:51.401 : <ERROR> [gfx] Failed to create pipeline setup for ( - fwdopaque)
00:08:52.037 : <ERROR> [gl] unable to map attribute (v.tangent)
00:08:52.037 : <ERROR> [gfx] Failed to create pipeline setup for ( - fwdopaque)
00:09:31.489 : <ERROR> [gl] unable to map attribute (v.tangent)
00:09:31.489 : <ERROR> [gfx] Failed to create pipeline setup for ( - fwdopaque)

I have isolated one major issue causing mod, Russian Open Spaces, it has connect issues that cause it to loop in the console. gained some FPS back.

Also have this pop up in console:

00:32:56.707 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:56.707 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:56.773 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:56.774 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:56.823 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:56.871 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:56.933 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:56.996 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:57.058 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:57.123 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:57.190 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:57.257 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:57.323 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:57.390 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:57.440 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:57.490 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:57.540 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item.
00:32:57.590 : [pml] buffer too small, dropping pml item

What buffer is this? and what is it for?

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

10 Apr 2015 07:03

So you already use the binary blob, go figure, I was just guessing. That's the latest stable version too. 343.22 was the first to support GTX 970. You could try downgrading to some in between.

If other games don't suffer from performance decrease, you should probably open a bug on SCS forums.

First bug is irrelevant. First time I've seen the second one though.

daelf

10 Apr 2015 23:13

I'm finding that I lag quite a bit in Slovenia, but nowhere else on the map (be it a SCS or Promods area).

I'm using Promods 1.91 with the two hotfixes, and the only extra mod I run is Realistic Lighting. Is there something to do with how the lighting is rigged in Slovenia which could cause this? Anyone else having this issue?

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

11 Apr 2015 00:11

daelf wrote:I'm finding that I lag quite a bit in Slovenia, but nowhere else on the map (be it a SCS or Promods area).

I'm using Promods 1.91 with the two hotfixes, and the only extra mod I run is Realistic Lighting. Is there something to do with how the lighting is rigged in Slovenia which could cause this? Anyone else having this issue?
Everyone experiences worse performance in Slovenia than in other parts of the map. The developers are aware of the issue, but there's not a lot they can do without access to the tools SCS use to optimize their parts of the map. Hamburg harbour is also quite bad.
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

daelf

11 Apr 2015 01:00

Jan Verschueren wrote: Everyone experiences worse performance in Slovenia than in other parts of the map. The developers are aware of the issue, but there's not a lot they can do without access to the tools SCS use to optimize their parts of the map. Hamburg harbour is also quite bad.
OK, thanks for the reply! Not sure I understand why it is that Slovenia (and Hamburg harbour) is particularly affected, but fair enough :)

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

11 Apr 2015 01:51

daelf wrote:OK, thanks for the reply! Not sure I understand why it is that Slovenia (and Hamburg harbour) is particularly affected, but fair enough :)
The answer is simple: performance in terms of frames per second is directly proportional to the amount of polygons the game has to render. "Busy" places like cities and ringroads have more polygons than rural roads and motorways, so framerates are generally lower there.

If you look at recent ProMods cities (Antwerp, Stockholm, Hamburg, Ljubljana, Maribor, etc.), you'll notice they're built more or less as they are in real-life, with major traffic arteries represented. This presents a problem in a sense we no longer have control over how many polys (as they're called) have to be rendered. An area has to look a certain way to represent its real-life counterpart, so it's going to end up having a certain number of polys, there is no way around that. It's a trade off between performance and realism/recognisability. With the base game, it's very clear SCS built their cities specifically to keep the polys down and thus reduce the minimum system requirements. Seeing as the game is now nearly 3 years old and most gamers do have fairly performant rigs, the ProMods approach is different.

Games in general get around this limitation by having fictional settings (so the land-/cityscape can be adjusted to run smoothly on a target hardware) and avoiding drawing unnecessary detail which is either invisible to the player or at a certain distance away from him (optimisation). ProMods developers are limited in this last respect because they only have access to "cut planes" (= invisible and intangible walls which place a limit as to where the graphics engine renders, if I understand correctly) in the editor, whereas SCS have tools to do further optimisation.

So, when all is said and done, it's the degree with which you agree with the ProMods philosophy which determines how badly this design decision affects you. Personally, I get some stutter in these places on my now nearly 5-year-old rig, but it doesn't bother me because I remember the days when games would sometimes run at 10-15fps if you didn't have the latest and greatest machine (in those days your PC was obsolete as soon as you'd paid for it and major hardware strides were made every 3 months or so), but to modern day gamers, used to highly optimised games like FarCry4, Dying Light, Call of Duty whatever, etc., ETS2 + ProMods might come as a bit of a shock.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

11 Apr 2015 07:07

Lol, Dying Light is the worst example ever

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

11 Apr 2015 10:03

LA-MJ wrote:Lol, Dying Light is the worst example ever
Patch 1.5 fixes a lot of the issues, though perhaps not in OpenGL (I haven't followed the relevant discussions). And I meant it as an example of how a fictional setting + other techniques are used to present "an icredibly detailed" world to the player, whilst keeping things reasonable under the hood. I've only briefly played on a friend's (Windows/DX11) machine (not my kind of game -too many key controls), pre-patch and performance was good. Given people are putting up videos of this game on YouTube @1080p/60fps, I'm guessing framerate is not the issue you make it out to be.

Return to “Gameplay issues ETS2”

• Information