Poor performance on high end PC

Installation problems or game crashes? Post them here.
Forum rules
ALWAYS FOLLOW OUR SELF-HELP GUIDE FIRST.

If you report a game crash ALWAYS post your game.log.txt in between CODE tags, or if it too large post it on pastebin.com and share the link.
Randleman

29 Jan 2018 01:20

Hello,

I am wondering why I simply cannot get ETS2 to run smoothly on my PC.
Let me start off by saying that I am very well aware that I may not have the best PC out there, but it certainly isn't bad either.
I run my other regular games (WoW, F1 2017) on ultra graphics without a single performance issue.
However, ETS2 continues to give me headaches.

I have messed with the settings so much that I simply don't know what to do anymore.
I am starting to think that ETS2 might just be poorly optimized, but I refuse to believe that.
I run ETS2 with ProMods, Rusmap and some Jazzycat mods (traffic pack, trailer and cargo pack, military cargo and railway cargo).
However, on the open road the game runs fine, although I can see lines dancing around (I guess this might be the anti-aliasing?). I've never managed to fix that either, just can't find a setting that does the trick.
But in cities, the FPS drops right down. In most cities my FPS goes down to 30, which I can live with. But places like Stockholm, Copenhagen, St. Petersburg, Moscow, London, Paris, Berlin just to name a few are just almost undrivable for me.
It's getting so bad, that I tend to avoid even going to those places and drive around.

My PC specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64 bits
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20 GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2 GHz
RAM: 16384 MB ( 16 GB)
DirectX: 12
GPU: Nividia GeForce GTX 970 (4 GB)
1920 x 1080 resolution (60 Hz)

If there's any other information you need to dig deeper into the problem, please let me know and I'll provide you with said information.

I was hoping someone on this forum could help me figure out this issue and hopefully even fix it.
Because on my old PC I could live with the fact the game didn't run so well because well.. it was an old PC.
But this PC should be able to run it just fine, yet it doesn't. It's very frustrating.

Please help me out.
Thank you in advance

Rudi Raser
In Memoriam
Donation rank:

29 Jan 2018 01:34

you can have a look here: https://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php ... 93#p861093

maybe a Nvidia Inspector setting can help you.

just a tip, start reading from the last side. there is found a nice setting in the last weeks. ;)
No Support via PM!

Randleman

29 Jan 2018 02:04

I tried working with Nvidia inspector. Didn't do much for me.

Rudi Raser
In Memoriam
Donation rank:

29 Jan 2018 02:28

less frames in the big cities is normal. to find a good working setup is not easy, i know that too.
but with a working Inspector setting it works for mostly all better. but it depends on so many factors.
which mods, which grafik/weather mods, which screen and size, hardware, driver, windows 8/10, ..........
No Support via PM!

Randleman

29 Jan 2018 03:23

Yea, maybe I didn't do it right with Nvidia inspector.
I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of computers and programs like that is minimal.

I just love this game so incredibly much that it saddens me it doesn't perform as well as I hoped it would.
I saved up for this computer a long time and finally managed to put it together a year ago, hoping ETS2 would run better.
And as it does run better compared to my old PC, it's still far from ideal.

And I just have my doubts whether I'll need to build an even better PC to handle ETS2, as my current PC isn't necessarily bad.

bmwGTR

29 Jan 2018 12:45

Hi,

the problem is the game engine. Currently the game runs on Direct-X 9, which is not good supported by current hardware.
SCS will the change the game engine to a current Direct-X version, but this is a big change and it can just done step by step.

Best regards,
bmwGTR
ETS2: ProMods + RusMap + The Great Steppe
ATS: ProMods + Grand Canyon + Reforma

ProMods Moderator since April 2018

Darkfizch
Donation rank:

29 Jan 2018 13:21

I highly doubt your setup is the issue. I run the game with a GTX 750 ti and even I get 60 fps pretty much anywhere. Have you tried messing with the scaling? I have it set to 150% currently, but you might try setting it to 100% if you haven't already.

Trucker2223
Donation rank:

29 Jan 2018 20:33

I would suggest investing in an SSD Drive if you're running on a HDD. It will greatly improve performance. But mostly old DX9 engine is the problem.
I run this game highest Settings, Highest Def Setting with a similar PC smoothly 60 FPS. In some bigger Citys 40-60 FPS:
Intel Core i5 6400 @2,7 GHz
AMD Radeon R9 390 Graphics Card(8GB)
8 GB RAM DDR4
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB
No. 4 forum spammer

No Support via PM!!

ProMods Senior Beta Tester since 2.30
ProMods Moderator since 1. January 2019

Randleman

12 Feb 2018 03:47

It is actually on my 500 GB SSD.
I just don't understand how it can run so poorly in big cities. I watch squirrel's videos and he runs just fine in cities, with more mods installed than I ever would.

Could it really be something as simple as the DX9 problem? That if they ever update it, the game will run smoothly? Because I'm losing hope here.
Don't see a reason to buy an even newer PC just to run ETS2 smoothly, as my current system should be very able to..

Trucker2223
Donation rank:

12 Feb 2018 17:51

Yeah DX11 would make the game run much smoother than DX9 because newer Graphics Cards don't support DX9 as good as older ones. You would've better performance with an older Graphics Card than a newer in ETS2 with DX9 engine.
No. 4 forum spammer

No Support via PM!!

ProMods Senior Beta Tester since 2.30
ProMods Moderator since 1. January 2019

Return to “Gameplay issues ETS2”

• Information