Found a ( for me huge ) misstake.

Installation problems or game crashes? Post them here.
Forum rules
ALWAYS FOLLOW OUR SELF-HELP GUIDE FIRST.

If you report a game crash ALWAYS post your game.log.txt in between CODE tags, or if it too large post it on pastebin.com and share the link.
ante.heed

19 Jan 2015 11:37

When driving from Oslo to Sweden and pass the border between Norway-Sweden the sign says Västragötalands Län when it's supposed to say Värmlands Län.
This is a issue due to the fact that i grew up about 9 kilometers from this border passing. and i must say that the entire E18 and the roads between Karlstad and Oslo is disappointingly inaccurate. Lakes are the size of a pond. Towns that you should pass or drive through is not there. And iconic parts of the road is not there.

Examples:

E18 passing Årjäng there is a LOOOOOOOOOOONG and pretty steep hill climb. about 2-3 maybe even 4 kilometers long. https://www.google.se/maps/@59.39516,12 ... XEP_2A!2e0

At the foot of this incline there is a truck stop. https://www.google.se/maps/@59.399083,1 ... sBp9rw!2e0

And E18 between Töcksfors-Årjäng is also kind of a pretty distinguished piece of road with all it's hills and curves.

And last but not least. The road network between Karlstad and Stockholm is inaccurate. All truckers drive/follow the E18 as this is the fastest way.

Short version. The Roadnetwork between Oslo-Stockholm is extremely disappointing for those of us that have driven it irl. Tho you do do a great job with the map. I really love the mod as a whole. It's just the lack of resemblance to the real thing between Oslo-Stockholm that i feel is waaaay to off. Apart from the border crossing between Norway (Örje) - ( Töcksfors ) Sweden. cause that part is really nicely done.

ZelvaCZ

19 Jan 2015 11:53

Hello,

at first, I want to say that these things you write about are caused mainly by 1:19 map scale, which is killing the modders. Instead of 19 cities, there is 1 city. Instead of 19 lakes, there is 1 lake or 19 times smaller lakes. Some things are just impossible to recreate, and the areas you write about are unchanged from version 1.00, so they are not as good as the rest of ProMods (but still better than nothing, huh? :P).

---
ante.heed wrote:E18 passing Årjäng there is a LOOOOOOOOOOONG and pretty steep hill climb. about 2-3 maybe even 4 kilometers long.
3 km / 19 = 150 meters. I have no idea if there is some even small hill, but the scale makes a big mountain a small hill.
ante.heed wrote:At the foot of this incline there is a truck stop.
Again - the roads can't be as realistic as you think. We can't just place every truckstop, there won't be anything else but truckstops then.

---

Of course the team can give more detail to the work. But not every area can have its counterpart in the real world, just because of that big scale. The road you know can be more detailed, but what would we do for someone living 15 kilometers from you? Then, 'his' piece of road and village can't be there. We can't fit everything in this small map.
Sorry if this post sounds too aggresive or anything like that, it really doesn't have to - I'm just trying to explain the trouble of mappers working at ProMods, it's really hard work to build even 10 kilometers of road.

Regards,
Zelva

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

19 Jan 2015 15:22

the title of the game is Euro Truck Simulator

/topic

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

19 Jan 2015 19:10

To give you an example how brutal the scale is...

I live in the city of Zoetermeer, which has about 120 000 inhabitants. It's 10 kilometers west from The Hague (500 000 inhabitants) and 20 kilometers from Rotterdam (750 000 inhabitants). On the map, only Rotterdam fits and overlaps the area occupied by The Hauge and Zoetermeer (and Delft and Gouda too, each also about 100 000 inhabitants large!). The map scale is so brutally small that even one city devours a lot of space, making it impossible to fit cities on the map which would certainly be built elsewere on the map considering the city size. In a small and dense country as the Netherlands, the brutality of the map size compression can be noticed the best...

This means that we can't recreate everything, no matter how detailed the instructions are that you give. Just like Zelva pointed out, you have a conflict in interest if two areas are too close to each other; we can only recreate one of them or none of them in this case, or we have to compress it (which is not always a too satisfying solution.

True, most of this area has not been touched since version 1.0, and we will not touch it until the DLC is released. Then we can merge the DLC parts with our map parts and see what we can use from the DLC. After that, we can talk again about large-scale improvements in Scandinavia.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

cashtime2013
Developer
Donation rank:

19 Jan 2015 19:47

The only way around the scale problem is to create a standalone map dedicated to just one country, such as Hungary by Frank007, or The Dutch Map.
The scale of the Hungary map is 1:3, and I believe the next version of The Dutch Map will also have a scale closer to real-life. Perhaps one day an enterprising map-modder may create a map of Sweden or Norway with a similar nearly-true-to-life scale.

The other factor to consider is time. That is also scaled down. Imagine if a map had a scale of 1:1, would you want to sit at the simulator for 6 hours on a 6 hour job? ;) . I guess that would certainly add realism :D . My current profile shows I've been driving for a total of 78 days on the ProMods map, but I've only 'sat at the wheel' for 64 real-life hours!
British Isles Developer

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, Intel i5 quad-core CPU, nvidia Geforce GTX 1650, ASUS VZ249HE 24" monitor, 750watt PSU, ETS2 & ATS 64bit

Return to “Gameplay issues ETS2”

• Information