How to texture with 1 material in Blender?

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

07 Feb 2016 00:12

So let's say I have a simple cube in Blender... I want each side to be a different color. I already know how to do this by creating a new material for each side. But ETS2 models only use 1 material to texture the entire model... so how do I texture each side of the cube with a different texture, using only 1 material?
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

07 Feb 2016 00:23

Ever done UV mapping? You have to do this a lot in ETS2. Use the UV editor in Blender to modify the UV-mapping of your object.

A few tips:
- If you have a joint between UV co-ordinates, split the edges of the object, so it also has a joint in the mesh. If you don't do that, the UVs can get messed up.
- Sometimes the UV projection tools may help. You can project UV co-ordinates from view, or use cube projection.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

07 Feb 2016 01:19

Okay I thought I figured it out... SO I made it like this:

But after I exported it as an SCS model, I opened blender again, imported the new .pmd and now it looks like this:

Do you know why this happened?
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

Chadedala

07 Feb 2016 02:04

That is wrong.

1th:
open a new UV Editor Window in Blender
Than: choose your MAterial, Textur and select Your Model
after this, hit the Button "u" for "unwrap"

and after this. you can do what ever you want to map.

Scott_In_Maine

05 Mar 2016 16:12

Hi Penguinaz,

It appears as though you may be somewhat new to modelling with Blender. I would suggest searching out online tutorials which focus on object creation. There are hundreds of tutorials out there, and you would probably want to pay attention to the ones which feature objects created specifically for games/sims. You may also want to search some tutorials on hard surface modelling, and the making of texture maps.

Your "material" can be comprised of multiple textures (diffuse maps, normal maps, spec maps, etc.). I don't know what the rendering capabilities of SCS's engine are, regarding shaders and materials, but I would imagine that information is out there somewhere. You will probably want to UV unwrap your object, make a copy of the UV map, and create your texture in a photo editing program like Gimp or Photoshop. This will give you all kinds of control over your textures, and you can add scrapes/scratches/smears, etc.

Once you've succeeded, you may want to copy your object and create a new version with beveled edges (always bevel your edges, or they just don't look real), and maybe some dents or dings.

Scott

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information