Question about mod tools and techniques

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
MandelSoft
Lead Developer

01 Sep 2013 16:07

New development: modular signage! Instead of combining all the signs and construction in one model, you can also split them up in multiple models:

Image Image Image

Modular signage allows you to do the following things:
  • Use up to six text elements and three route numbers per panel instead of per sign combination. This allows great flexibility when it comes to bilingual signs like in Finland, Wales and Ireland. It also allows us to use bigger printing on bilingual signs. Font size can be a problem right now in Finland and this method can solve that problem...
  • Model re-cycling: there are only two to four gantries required to cover all road widths per country. Panel placement on these gantries can be completely customized.
  • Interchangeability. You can use signs from one country on the gantry of another one and vice versa. The combinations are endless!
  • Flexibility. By separating each sign, these signs can be combined strategically to give an accurate representation of the road layout up ahead, making the setups more realistic and user friendly. The possibilities are, again, endless!
In the mean time, I'm giving the dutch signage an overhaul too with this method:
Image Image

Even starting on the new dutch signage style:

Best,
Mandelsoft
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

anonymson

01 Sep 2013 16:36

Wow, fantastic work! Can't wait to see what it looks like on the Swedish and Finnish signage! :D

lolek9427

03 Sep 2013 19:39

Wow this is actually fantastic ;)

jhp

04 Sep 2013 12:56

Awesome thread! Started out being a little harsh, and turned into a beautiful partnership. Seriously Mendelsoft, (I remember that name from Simtropolis back from when I played alot of SC4), work together with ProMods. Your signage deserves to be in this mod, and it seems they happily welcomes it.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

04 Sep 2013 20:42

Well, I have contact with Promods, so you can be sure that I co-operate with them ;)

Meanwhile in Amsterdam...

I've replaced the two intersections with only one grade-separated interchange, which is more worthy to this road considering it's motorway status. However, the A10-West still has one at grade intersections. The speed cameras are also still there, but instead of fining you at 50km/h, the maximum speed has been increased to a much more comfortable 100 km/h. That makes them way less annoying. Furthermore, the roads leading towards this interchange have also been straightened:

One of the access roads however, couldn't be connected due to space issues. Instead, this is now a blocked route that now looks like this:

So, how do you like the changes in Amsterdam?

Best,
Mandelsoft
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

04 Sep 2013 20:49

I love it. Very good job.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

06 Sep 2013 14:40

One thing that always bothered me in this game is that the power lines looked very non-generic and not fitting to the countries except for France. Therefore I've modified one of the models (namely the 12-line powerline) to create a typically dutch Donaumast (and a german one too!), which looks more convenient compared to what there is in-game right now:

Best,
MandelSoft
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

09 Sep 2013 15:13

So, I finally figured out how to get multiple arrow styles. The previous results were messy, but now everything is working properly and I have enough arrow styles to cover the entire map so far with the correct arrows:

Image ImageImage Image

Best,
MandelSoft
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

09 Sep 2013 15:43

I will just comment what you already know ;)

EPIC WORK!!!!!
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

jhp

11 Sep 2013 12:39

Mendelsoft, your realistic additions to this mod will be priceless. Please continue to work with ProMods, even join them if they want you. AWESOME!

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information