2 questions need to help

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
sancychou

10 May 2017 11:06

First of all, i'm a ets2 beginner. :lol:
using "edit europe",i would like to create a new city far from europe map at somewhere in map editor.the following questions need help

1,how to move my city map background?

2,test map ,how to display my new city in world map..

thank you

------------------------------------------------------------------------
translated with translate.google .... :shock:
I am sorry for my poor English :roll:

CallumD714
Developer

25 May 2017 10:35

1. When you mean "city background", I assume you mean the map background that you see when you press A on the keyboard. This map cannot be moved, but, depending on how far away this city is from the map, you can expand the map texture by editing the dds file (this video may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ7uWdTokUo)

2. If you mean the city name (The grey text that appears over cities), those names are defined in .sii files in the def. If you wish to add a new city, follow these steps:
  • 1. Extract base.scs and def.scs into base and def folders in the Steam/Steamapps/common/Euro Truck Simulator 2 folder using the scs_extractor program
  • 2. You will need to find two files. The first file is city.sii, which defines which cities will show up in the editor. DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE. Instead, create a new file called city.[insert mod name here].sii. Copy the content from city.sii to this file and delete every @include ... line except for one. On this line, replace the city name with the city that you wish to add.
  • 3. The other file you will need to find is [city name].sii. In def/city, you will see files that look like aberdeen.sii or oslo.sii. Copy one of these files (preferably one in the country that you are modelling) and rename it to the city that you wish to model. Open the file and change the city names to your city as well.
  • 4. Ensuring that you have done all of the previous steps properly, add these two files to your mod folder in the exact same location that they are in the base folder (i.e. If you found the file in def/city, create a folder in your mod called "def", and another folder inside def called "city"
If done correctly, the city name should show up in game. Apologies for the long and confusing explanation, if you have any troubles feel free to contact me again for additional help.

One last word of warning: When modelling a city "far away" from the SCS map, the game can start to become buggy. This tends to happen past the 0060 sectors, so be cautious when mapping far away from the game map.

I hope I could be of assistance :)

bengotiger14
Donation rank:

29 Nov 2017 23:58

Hey, Im creating a map and have followed the instructions on adding new city names to the editor and have had no luck as they dont show up.
Any idea what im doing wrong?

I am guessing that the process is the same for ATS.

Vøytek
Developer

30 Nov 2017 13:41

We can't help you without a log or seeing your files.
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

bengotiger14
Donation rank:

30 Nov 2017 16:35

Vøytek wrote:
30 Nov 2017 13:41
We can't help you without a log or seeing your files.

Here are some screenshots of my file and sii layouts, i should have uploaded these in my first post xD

Vøytek
Developer

30 Nov 2017 17:27

And your game.log, after you try to load those files?

"lava_hot_springs" looks like a too long name (more than 12 characters) but that's just a guess.
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52

bengotiger14
Donation rank:

30 Nov 2017 17:48

Vøytek wrote:
30 Nov 2017 17:27
And your game.log, after you try to load those files?

"lava_hot_springs" looks like a too long name (more than 12 characters) but that's just a guess.
This is my game log file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IlQN8A ... sp=sharing

Vøytek
Developer

30 Nov 2017 18:41

When you're modding, you have to learn how to investigate the log yourself, to solve many problems ;)
Look at this part:

Code: Select all

00:00:20.481 : <ERROR> [unit] File '/def/city.usa.sii', line 4:
00:00:20.481 : <ERROR> Expecting include file name, found '@'
00:00:20.481 : <ERROR> [unit] File '/def/city/coeur_dalene.sii', line 3:
00:00:20.481 : <ERROR> Included at '/def/city.usa.sii', line 4:
00:00:20.481 : <ERROR> [unit] The unit name 'city.twin_falls' is already taken by an existing unit (of type 'city_data').
You're lucky it's a simple mistake and it tells you exactly what's the problem here.

Try solving it yourself and after every trial look what's the problem in the log, because you may create new issues during fixing, that happens very often.

If you won't be able to solve it, share your files with us so we can investigate ourselves where is your mistake ;)
But I encourage you to try many, many times before you ask for help, because that's the best way to learn it.
Modding is time-consuming and annoying sometimes + answers aren't always available, especially if you're a pioneer in some branch of ETS2 modding, so the more you learn yourself, the better! If you're really stuck, somebody will help of course.
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52

bengotiger14
Donation rank:

01 Dec 2017 16:26

Thank you so much for the help. I would never have known to look the the game log file. The files now work.

Thanks again :)

Vøytek
Developer

01 Dec 2017 17:54

I'm happy that you were able to solve it yourself, keep it up ;)
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information