[TUTORIAL] Simple guide how to make a cargo file

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
mbman212
Donation rank:

30 May 2015 20:50

Hello ProMods community!

Since everybody's almost literally asking and due to lack of proper and / or really bad video guides how to successfully pack multiple trailer skin files into one *.scs archive, I decided to write a proper one. Usually before getting started, copy the trailer skin files you want to pack, so they're easily found.

Important: This guide is only taking the part how to pack trailer skins, however, I don't allow you to pack multiple truck skin files into one, as I don't know these skills yet. If there are any advanced users, please post a new topic of that. Also, you may find me repeating certain words on almost every step, because it's easier to say it, that everything will go well when doing the packing.

If your pack is meant to be shared into public, I'd recommend you make a Read me-file which includes Credits, some info of the mod.

Requirements:
  • - Trailer skin files (you can have as many as you want)
    - WinRAR
    - approximately 15 minutes of spare time. Please note that it might take more time, depending how many skins you want to pack.
If you do not have WinRAR, you can download it here.

Let's begin.

Step #1
Open the folder, where you have copied your trailer skins you want to pack. In this case, it's called Finnish Trailers.

Step #2
Create two new folders, which have names "def" and "vehicle".

Step #3
Open one of your trailer skin files with WinRAR and locate the folder called "vehicle".

Open the folder and copy the "trailer_eu" folder inside the "vehicle" folder of the folder, where you have the skins set. The result should look like this:

Step #4
In WinRar, double click the three dots to roll back to the "main" view of the trailer skin file and open the "def" folder.
Insode the "def" folder, you see three folders and a sii-file.

Now, copy the folders and the sii-file into the "def" folder, where you've the trailer skin files. The result should look like this:

At this point, take a break as the "time consuming" process begins. Smoke a cigarette, drink a cup of tea or coffee or just relax for five to ten minutes.

So far, if followed correctly, you've successfully copied all the contents of one of the files, so let's continue with the next one.

Step #5
Now open another trailer skin file with WinRAR, locate the "vehicle" folder, open it and open the "trailer_eu" folder and copy the folder to the same location (<your main folder of the skins>\vehicle\trailer_eu).

The result:

Step #6
When done with previous step, roll back to "main" view, where you'll see the folders "def" and "vehicle" together with the skin files.

Open the "def" folder. Also, switch back to WinRAR and click on the dots to roll back, where you'll see "def" and "vehicle" folders. Copy the sii-file into the "def" folder of the folder, where you've got the trailer skins.

Now, the most challenging steps are right behind the corner. Please follow them with extra attention and care, otherwise your hard work will be gone, and in my experience of doing this, you have to start from the beginning.

Step #7
Now that you have the "def" folder open in WinRAR, open "vehicle" folder, there you see one folder and two sii-files.

Copy the sii-files into the "vehicle" folder of the "def" folder, where you've got the trailer skins.

The result should be this:

Step #8
Open the "trailer" folder from both locations, WinRAR and the "vehicle" folder inside the "def" folder, where you've got the trailer skins.

On the WinRAR view, you'll see one folder and two sii-files. Copy all of them into the "trailer" folder of the "main" folders' "vehicle" folder inside the "def" folder.

Result:

Step #9
Now, roll back on WinRAR and in the "main" folder, so you have the "def" folder open. After that, open the "cargo" folder, and you'll see one sii-file.

Copy it into the "cargo" folder inside the "def" folder.

The result:

Step #10
Now, double click the dots in WinRAR to roll back, once done, open the "company" folder.

Do the same on the "main" folder, where you've got to copy the contents.

You'll see a list of folders that are named after the companies in Euro Truck Simulator 2. Open one of them.

You'll see folders "in" and "out", which means that LKWLog GmbH is receiving and giving away jobs. Open the folder called "in" and copy the sii-file(s) to the same location on the "main" folder. Do exactly the same with the "out" folder. Repeat that with the other companies.

Do the same on the "main" folder, where you've got to copy the contents.

Now, on the "main" folder, you'll see a list of in-game companies, but there's no "lkwlog".

All what you have to do is to copy the "lkwlog" folder from the WinRAR to the "main" folder. Do the same thing, if the "main" folder doesn't have them.

Now that you've got all contents copied, it's time to pack it.

Step #11
Close WinRAR, and roll back on the folder manager until you're on the "main" view, where is the two folders and the truck skin files.

Now select the folders with Ctrl+Left Click or simply draw the rectangular selection box over them.

Right Click on them and select "Add to archive..."

A WinRAR window pops up, write down the file name, tick the Archive format into "ZIP" and pop up the roll-down list of "Compression method" and choose "Store". After that, click "OK".

The result should be a *.zip-file.

Step #12
Now, move the *.zip-file into the Euro Truck Simulator 2 mod-folder.

Step #13
Open Euro Truck Simulator 2, choose the Profile you wish to have the trailer pack in, and click "Edit Profile".

Tick on the box to activate the mod-file and click on "Apply".

The "Edit Profile" and "Apply" can be on any language, depending on what language you've set on the profile. In this case, because this profile is meant for mod-testing, my profile language is Finnish.

After you game has loaded your profile, click on "About", then "Trailer Browser" to looks at the trailers in the game.

Search for "tn_<your trailer name> on the left scroll down list, click on it to see if it works. In this case, both two worked properly.

Having more trailers in the pack
If you want to have more trailers in the pack, simply repeat steps #5 - #11.
Last edited by mbman212 on 31 May 2015 10:14, edited 2 times in total.
#8 Forum Spammer

ETS2 v1.38.1.15, ProMods 2.5x, DLC content

12,50% explored
Driven km 67,200
2957 hours of ETS2

ATS v1.38x, DLC content

29,46% explored
Driven mi 19,000
271 hours of ATS

Horizon™
Developer

30 May 2015 21:03

Still on Windows XP ? huh? :D
Post is proudly delivered by Horizon's Logistics
Roaming through desert

Developer of Lithuania
Developer of Kazakhstan
Developer of Iraq

mbman212
Donation rank:

30 May 2015 21:05

No, I have Windows 7.

I've just changed the theme into a classic one, in fact that it gives me more power to run ETS2.
#8 Forum Spammer

ETS2 v1.38.1.15, ProMods 2.5x, DLC content

12,50% explored
Driven km 67,200
2957 hours of ETS2

ATS v1.38x, DLC content

29,46% explored
Driven mi 19,000
271 hours of ATS

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

30 May 2015 21:37

Didn't work first time, will try again soon ;).

Faelandaea

17 Jul 2015 12:59

Well, my first post on these forums and it's to ask a question LOL. But on ETS2.lt I have been following promods for quite the while.

Thanks for thi wonderful tutorial. Would you by any chance consider writing one that is specific to adding Flatbed cargo? I have a thread over on the SCS forums and no one seems to have any clue WTF I am doing wrong that ETS2 refuses to recognize my flatbad as a single chassis for multiple cargo. Maybe I am missing something that an expert like yourself can direct me in the direction of.

http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=186583 is where I posted the info if you want to maybe take a look and give me some feedback?
Faelandaea Dravin

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information