[WIP TUTORIAL] Standalone Trailers NEED HELP!

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
KubaJAM
Donation rank:

19 Aug 2015 19:13

Hi guys!

In this tutorial I am going to show you how to create standalone trailers (non-advanced) for ETS2, using ETS2Studio for ProfiLiners, Cooliners and all types of cistern. However ETS2Studio doesn't contain all skinnable trailers, so I will show you how to write the definition files properly for trailers such as the Schmitz (Platform).

You will need:

- ETS2
- ETS2Studio
- Winrar or 7zip (I'll be using Winrar)
- Extracted base and def files from the game

Now, let's begin!

Option One: ETS2Studio (trailers within ETS2Studio)

ETS2Studio is a fantastic tool for novice modders to learn how the game works. It is indeed how I began my skin career. The tool can be downloaded here. It is fairly straightforward so I won't waste time going through the whole tool as it is very easy to use. Simply create your skin using paint.net and the program. Check that link for details.

Option Two: ETS2Studio for skin, manual def (trailers not included in ETS2Studio)

This step is far more complicated as it involves manually editing your definition files. What we're going to do is use ETS2Studio as if we're making a ProfiLiner, but after that, change the definition file to a Schmitz Trailer.

So create your skin in ETS2Studio, as a ProfiLiner, then export the .scs or .zip file to your desktop. Now open it with Winrar.

img1

You'll notice we have two folders; def and vehicle. The vehicle file we will need to change completely as it will contain only the files for that trailer, i.e the ProfiLiner. So let's work on that first.

Extract the vehicle file to your desktop (or wherever you're working).

img2

Now open the folder you just extracted. Go to trailer_eu, then *skin name*, then you'll see several files.

img3

Now open the textures folder. At the top you'll see 'bcp.dds'. This is your skin, so we'll need to keep that. So copy it to your desktop.

Now you'll need to go to the base file you extracted. Go to vehicle>trailer_eu>schmitz>universal (trailer you're skinning).

NOW I NEED HELP WITH THIS! NOT SURE WHICH FILES SHOULD BE COPIED OVER AS TRAILER LOOKS DIFFERENT IN BASE TO WHAT ETS2STUDIO PRODUCES!

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information