Sign text

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

12 Oct 2015 05:17

I am using the new sign format. I edit a sign and write text on it. Then I press save, save the map and close the editor.
The next time I compile my mod and open it in editor, but the signs are now blank!
How do I save the text on signs?
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

ScuL
Founder

12 Oct 2015 08:45

You need to save & pack the sign templates
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

12 Oct 2015 09:02

Indeed. All sign templates are dumped as SII files. Their standard location is in "<your ETS2 installation folder>/base/def/sign", but I would HIGHLY recommend not to use the base. Instead, make a directory next to the "base" folder (I repeat: not in the base folder, next to!) and call it "mod_XXX", where XXX is an alphanumerical name (of max. 8 characters long), i.e. "mod_penguin". Instead of selecting "base", select this alternative folder when saving your templates. Why, you may ask? It all has to do with auto-generated item names. If you save them in "base", they are bound to conflict with future SCS sign templates, which will cause the game to crash. We have switched to this system a while ago and it works like a charm, though there was a crash in 1.97 exactly related to this.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information