Greetings from an island between UK and France

New users are welcome to post a short introduction here
tbm1986

04 Aug 2013 11:50

Hi, all

I'm Tom, 27 years old. I come from a small, little-known island called Guernsey, a transparent tax haven located in the English Channel. Yes, we drive on the left. Our registration plates are the same as the UK, except we don't use letters.

I have enthusiasms for driving, travelling and gaming, so the truck sims are right up my alley. I use ETS2 mainly to see Europe on the cheap until I can afford to motorbike across the continent.

My background is in Science, Computers and History. I studied for a bachelor degree in Computer Technology in the UK (included programming in Assembly, C and Java, plus web design in HTML/CSS and PHP). I have tried making games in integrated environments like Game Maker and mods/maps/campaigns in tools provided by the official developers but my lack of creative ability has held me back (level/map design, sprites, backgrounds, music, sound effects). I've tested for my own small programs and fan game projects of other people's making, so I'm familiar with some of the processes and potential problems.

One day, I hope to make my own mod of ETS2: Guernsey. I'd start with a clean map and adjust time to city pace or slower. If it goes well, I might extend it to include Jersey, the largest of the Channel Islands. There's only one other channel island that allows industrial traffic and it's very small indeed.

ScuL
Founder

04 Aug 2013 13:38

Hi Tom,

It's nice to have somebody here from the Channel Islands, I'd like to go some day but haven't made it just yet.
Is it easy to get to France at all from where you are? I reckon getting to the UK is probably more straightforward.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

tbm1986

04 Aug 2013 15:31

ScuL wrote:Hi Tom,

It's nice to have somebody here from the Channel Islands, I'd like to go some day but haven't made it just yet.
Is it easy to get to France at all from where you are? I reckon getting to the UK is probably more straightforward.
There are ferries to St Malo and Cherbourg. Flights go to Dinard, Bordeaux, Brest, Bergerac, La Rochelle, Marseille, Nantes, Toulouse, Nice, Rennes and Paris. That's just from Guernsey. Jersey has a few more connections.

It is easier to get to the UK but more expensive. I've been all over the UK by train but I hadn't been to the UK on my motorbike until this year. I'll do a trip next year to the UK before I feel comfortable with going to the continent. Being such a small place, Guernsey only has country roads and single-track lanes, speed limit 35 mph, so it was a bit of a shock to the system taking the motorways and dual carriageways up to Donington for the Download Festival this year. The journey back was definitely more comfortable than the trip up!

Honestly, you're not missing much. You're better off going to Cornwall or Brittany. Much cheaper, more connected and more beautiful.

orestescm76
Donation rank:

04 Aug 2013 18:19

Your zone must have amaizing views to the sea :D
Enjoy the map

Return to “Introductions”

• Information