First impressions/experiences/opinions about ATS

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Purno
Donation rank:

04 Feb 2016 14:21

I like ATS, but the main thing that really annoys me is the speed limits. Speed limits change too often, sometimes even without signs being placed (I suspect road types and prefabs have a speed limit built into them). Since ATS uses police AI cars rather than speed cameras, this has caused me to be fined a few times, simply because I did not have enough time to adjust my speed to the new limit. The fines at $1000 are extremely high at low levels.

This pisses me off the most, because it feels unfair to be fined immediately after getting a new speed limit, without having time to adjust. Speed signs (if any are placed) are hard to notice and certainly from enough distance.

I rather have the speed cameras ETS2 uses. Since they're placed a small distance after speed limit signs, there's enough time to adjust the speed. ATS has so many police cars driving around, it feels like they're always spying on me. I've also been fined on weigh stations, where the speed limit gets set to 20 mph without advance notice.

Additionally, US speed limits make no sense to me. I don't get why the highways have speed limits like 55mph or 65mph, while some smaller roads have limits like 70mph or even 80mph. I guess there's some system behind it, but for an European like me, it really makes no sense and is unpredictable.

Kobra2112

04 Feb 2016 15:38

I kind of wonder at this point if SCS is seeing any of this criticism. Perhaps if our voices are loud enough, they will reverse their decision regarding scale :?:
A man can dream I suppose :roll:
PM since v1.83 :D

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ 4.0-4.4GHz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
PSU: 1000G EVGA Platinum
RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 @ 1866MHz

BarrGDA
Donation rank:

04 Feb 2016 16:10

I think there's a simple explanation to their way of mapping.

California was probably made a while back, maybe around when Going East got released and well before Scandinavia DLC. As we remember, their mapping skills were atrocious (and still seem to be, but...). Look at Las Vegas, that already looks much better, and the entire Nevada region feels done rather well.

As I said though, I am ready to forgive this game it's drawbacks, as it's atmosphere draws me in to drive more, but we need more roads soon. California and Nevada is just not enough!

jasper

04 Feb 2016 16:47

the scale isn't an issue to me, as America is huge and there's more areas to come. Imagine that one day you'd have to drive from California to Florida; you'd die of boredom, trust me.
That's what , i was saying to friends , when i was talking about the scale of the game comparing to ETS2 , due to Promods map , the playground is really bigger and when am driving from Turku to Toulouse , that is long enough in real life time and keeps me well entertained but more longer will kill me , but wouldn't mind to think of time that will take to drive from the west to east of USA in ATS , i will be sleeping in my keyboard during the trip if that game had the same scale.
I like ATS, but the main thing that really annoys me is the speed limits. Speed limits change too often, sometimes even without signs being placed (I suspect road types and prefabs have a speed limit built into them). Since ATS uses police AI cars rather than speed cameras, this has caused me to be fined a few times, simply because I did not have enough time to adjust my speed to the new limit. The fines at $1000 are extremely high at low levels.

This pisses me off the most, because it feels unfair to be fined immediately after getting a new speed limit, without having time to adjust. Speed signs (if any are placed) are hard to notice and certainly from enough distance.
That's really a bad point for the game , hope they will fix that soon enough.

I read lot of comments about ATS , most of them are praising the game , but some are negative , and i saw there is a real good offer , much cheaper than the price asked by Steam , i really don't know if i should wait few months to have more states and other contents for the game.

They are saying , to wait some months if you are already knew ETS2 and won't enjoy at 100% due to and the actual playground is compared to United Kingdom size in ETS2 , is that small really?.
Volvo FH Globetrotter XL 750HP 6X2/4 Midlift

Map coverage: 44,78%
Truck driven distance: 12275 Km
Overall driven distance: 879873 Km
Driven distance during jobs:548030 Km
HQ garage : Nice , France
Trips completed : 450

Roudou

04 Feb 2016 18:54

Purno wrote:Additionally, US speed limits make no sense to me. I don't get why the highways have speed limits like 55mph or 65mph, while some smaller roads have limits like 70mph or even 80mph. I guess there's some system behind it, but for an European like me, it really makes no sense and is unpredictable.
Each states has locals laws, California truck max speed is 55mph, and i'm not sure there is a truck speed limit in Nevada, if the game is right they stick to regular speed limitations.

TheRayLV

04 Feb 2016 19:19

My first impression/opinion is Awesome! And yea I'm also having difficulties with speed limits, 55 is damn boring in California, but as soon as you enter Nevada it's good :D

iBallasticwolf2

04 Feb 2016 23:07

Bought ATS yesterday, did several loads around CA and NV. So far the game is pretty good, the scale certainly does make drives shorter but the detail makes up for it. The speed limits seem either too high or too low in certain areas. I hope SCS works hard to cover the rest of the USA and such, it's been a blast so far. Good work SCS!
CPU: Intel i5-4590
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: Thermaltake 650 watt bronze
RAM: 16 GB
SSD: Western Digital 500 GB
HDD: Western DIgital 1 TB

Lugge-Trucker
Donation rank:

05 Feb 2016 00:13

Has anybody already tried to sleep at the resting area that is signed in the map next to the repair shop? SCS was smart enough to put a fence between the resting area and the repair shop, so it is not possible to get on there or am I just to stupid to find the way in there?

dannyhaya

05 Feb 2016 09:54

I'm only 4 days in game (about 2-3 hours a day) and i covered allready +40% of the map. In ETS2 when i drive from (example) Paris to Lyon it seems like really a big stretch, or when I drive on the Russian Open Spaces part of the map you really feel like riding in a HUGE country. But this feeling i'm really missing in ATS. The scenery is beautifull but everything is to close to each other. Nevada should be really about big big stretches of empty road but in ATS you are riding from village to cities to village. But no problem, in about a week or two i will have covered +90% of the map and then i can return to my beloved ETS2+Promods+RusMap+ROS combi! I I can't wait that some modders make a connection between ATS and the Brazilian map!

But my end conclussion is one of disappointment :-(

map 5/10
graffics 8/10
trucks (only 2?) 5/10 (Peterbilt 389 mod is much better than ingame trucks)

TOTAL: 18/30 :-(
Last edited by dannyhaya on 05 Feb 2016 10:58, edited 2 times in total.

lighthousepoet

05 Feb 2016 10:30

We waited such a long time for ATS...in part I am very happy with what they have done....however, that is more than overruled by a simple flaw but one that is fundamental to the concept of the simulation. How can you plan a journey based on stops for refueling and rest if the rest stops have gates that are closed....until you have explored the whole map ...you cannot tell which services have rest stops with gates. There is another problem...In ETS 2 you can safely turn your rig into an opposing gas station to refuel...in ATS...either the rigs are too large or the turn angle too tight to safely do it in one...you can do it but it takes some careful driving with a reversing maneuver. Until you know the map...you would have to look at these stations and plan your trip avoiding them. One concept I do like is the speed limit fines and the police cars.........I know you guys on the Promods Team are busy ........but I look forward to you getting started on ATS to make this the simulation that it should be.
Till ATS get the flaws fixed ....I'm going back to ETS2 and Promods.

Ok...resolved....Now it could have been an update or alternatively ......you cannot park in the rest areas unless you have a bedded cabin...which are unavailable until you get to a certain level
Last edited by lighthousepoet on 03 Mar 2016 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ATS”

• Information