First impressions/experiences/opinions about ATS

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Shiva
Posts: 1873
Joined: 21 May 2015 01:09

05 Feb 2016 12:26

Kobra2112 wrote:I kind of wonder at this point if SCS is seeing any of this criticism. Perhaps if our voices are loud enough, they will reverse their decision regarding scale :?:
A man can dream I suppose :roll:
I agree on this.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Traffic map. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

lighthousepoet
Posts: 43
Joined: 27 Dec 2013 10:41

05 Feb 2016 15:30

Purno wrote:I like ATS, but the main thing that really annoys me is the speed limits. Speed limits change too often, sometimes even without signs being placed (I suspect road types and prefabs have a speed limit built into them). Since ATS uses police AI cars rather than speed cameras, this has caused me to be fined a few times, simply because I did not have enough time to adjust my speed to the new limit. The fines at $1000 are extremely high at low levels.

This pisses me off the most, because it feels unfair to be fined immediately after getting a new speed limit, without having time to adjust. Speed signs (if any are placed) are hard to notice and certainly from enough distance.

I rather have the speed cameras ETS2 uses. Since they're placed a small distance after speed limit signs, there's enough time to adjust the speed. ATS has so many police cars driving around, it feels like they're always spying on me. I've also been fined on weigh stations, where the speed limit gets set to 20 mph without advance notice.

Additionally, US speed limits make no sense to me. I don't get why the highways have speed limits like 55mph or 65mph, while some smaller roads have limits like 70mph or even 80mph. I guess there's some system behind it, but for an European like me, it really makes no sense and is unpredictable.

I disagree....I think having random AI police traffic to uphold speed limits is a great idea and should be adopted in ETS2 to compliment speed cameras...speed cameras are predictable...AI police cars are not ..therefore they help make the driving experience more authentic...and IMHO...make me a better driver.

User avatar
Photonic
Posts: 165
Joined: 15 Aug 2014 17:08

05 Feb 2016 17:32

But the fines are way to harsh from the police in ats
My map combo: Promods + Middle-East Add-On + RusMap + Southern Region + Volga Map + The Great Steppe + Emden ProMods Addon + Paris Rebuild + Macedonia Rework

Image

Promods user since v1.7

User avatar
getrixx
Add-on Developer
Posts: 268
Joined: 30 Aug 2014 08:43
Donation rank:
Contact:

05 Feb 2016 18:29

Photonic wrote:But the fines are way to harsh from the police in ats
At least they don't shoot you. :? :mrgreen:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
jasper
Posts: 2034
Joined: 10 Feb 2014 23:36
Location: Nice

06 Feb 2016 11:18

getrixx wrote:
Photonic wrote:But the fines are way to harsh from the police in ats
At least they don't shoot you. :? :mrgreen:
Hahah that should be nice a cool feature! :D
Volvo FH Globetrotter XL 750HP 6X2/4 Midlift

Map coverage: 44,78%
Truck driven distance: 12275 Km
Overall driven distance: 879873 Km
Driven distance during jobs:548030 Km
HQ garage : Nice , France
Trips completed : 450

Image

User avatar
Purno
Developer
Posts: 1377
Joined: 22 Apr 2014 16:33
Donation rank:
Location: Almere

06 Feb 2016 13:37

lighthousepoet wrote:I disagree....I think having random AI police traffic to uphold speed limits is a great idea and should be adopted in ETS2 to compliment speed cameras...speed cameras are predictable...AI police cars are not ..therefore they help make the driving experience more authentic...and IMHO...make me a better driver.
I agree police cars are a nice concept, but not if they fine you the very second you pass a speed limit sign you couldn't read in advance (especially in the dark). If they adjust the system so that police doesn't fine you the first 10 seconds after a new limit, it's great. But if speed limits change from 55mph to 30mph in a matter of a second, you really can't blame me for overspeeding for a few seconds, can you?

User avatar
Kobra2112
Posts: 689
Joined: 06 Feb 2015 09:59
Location: Somewhere in 'murica

06 Feb 2016 15:25

I have to give SCS a little bit of credit here; that's how things are in America. I live in a very rural part of the country. On this one road the speed limit drops from 50 to 30 almost instantly. A cop likes to sit right around this area in an unmarked cruiser and pull people over for speeding, as this happened to a friend and I've seen others get pulled over here as well. They have ticket quotas that they're required to fill (stupid, I know) and this is often times why the town sets up speed limits like this; for revenue generation. A little insight into how America can be...
PM since v1.83 :D

OS: Win 10 64-bit
CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ 4.0-4.4GHz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
PSU: 1000G EVGA Platinum
RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 @ 1866MHz

iBallasticwolf2
Posts: 26
Joined: 25 Dec 2015 20:46
Location: Kenton County, KY, U.S.A.

06 Feb 2016 17:49

A lot of small towns in the US have speeding tickets as the only way to keep the town fiscally afloat.
OS: Win 8.1 64 bit
CPU: Intel i5-4590
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: Thermaltake 650 watt bronze
RAM: 16 GB
SSD: Western Digital 500 GB
HDD: Western DIgital 1 TB

User avatar
smith121363
Posts: 303
Joined: 20 Jun 2014 12:08
Donation rank:
Location: Brownwood, Texas, USA

06 Feb 2016 18:05

I have to agree with my fellow Americans. The cops over here are bad about parking close to speed limit signs and giving out tickets. The only argument I will raise is the monthly quota. This is an urban legend. I have several relatives who work for different police departments and sheriff departments and also a state trooper. They all say that a monthly quota is not real.

User avatar
jasper
Posts: 2034
Joined: 10 Feb 2014 23:36
Location: Nice

06 Feb 2016 18:21

Purno wrote:
lighthousepoet wrote:I disagree....I think having random AI police traffic to uphold speed limits is a great idea and should be adopted in ETS2 to compliment speed cameras...speed cameras are predictable...AI police cars are not ..therefore they help make the driving experience more authentic...and IMHO...make me a better driver.
I agree police cars are a nice concept, but not if they fine you the very second you pass a speed limit sign you couldn't read in advance (especially in the dark). If they adjust the system so that police doesn't fine you the first 10 seconds after a new limit, it's great. But if speed limits change from 55mph to 30mph in a matter of a second, you really can't blame me for overspeeding for a few seconds, can you?
Maybe SCS can make it show us the next speed limit in the GPS screen with the actual one shown on it .
Volvo FH Globetrotter XL 750HP 6X2/4 Midlift

Map coverage: 44,78%
Truck driven distance: 12275 Km
Overall driven distance: 879873 Km
Driven distance during jobs:548030 Km
HQ garage : Nice , France
Trips completed : 450

Image



Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests