ATS Promods

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
brainiac
Donation rank:

23 Dec 2016 21:11

And will you wide highways to real width, especially in cities?
Working on San Diego map, 2:5 scale: www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25293
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and
- company advisors (which companies to put where)

ShirBlackspots
Donation rank:

24 Dec 2016 01:47

I believe rebuilding existing states makes more sense. Probably do a better job than HeavyAlex does with MHAPro, because I know the ProMods team will work with the other map modders to make sure their map works with ProMods, unlike HeavyAlex who doesn't.

CookiePLMonster

27 Dec 2016 23:17

Does ATS map require as much rebuilding as old ETS2 parts though? Or would it be only adding more minor stuff rather than replacing the entire thing?
Silent

-Raiden-

29 Dec 2016 20:22

ScuL wrote:I think our focus is mostly on rebuilding states that have already been released. :)
Seems like a good / reasonable approch to me.

But I'm asking myself the same question as CookiePLMonster. Since the ATS map is a lot more detailed than ETS2's default map, does it mean that there will be more "fine tuning" and adding "secondary things", rather than major overhauls?

Callipso
Donation rank:

29 Dec 2016 22:06

CookiePLMonster wrote:Does ATS map require as much rebuilding as old ETS2 parts though? Or would it be only adding more minor stuff rather than replacing the entire thing?
My thought is that it depends on how you want to approach the map. I suppose one could say that its more polished than the ETS2 game and more organized and thought out, that makes it seem like less is to be done in ATS.

Based on my experience of driving the roads of my own state Arizona, and then looking at what SCS has created to me it needs quite a lot of re-design in terms of the city layouts and working over the landscape to match what you see as you drive the roads in the state. Take Phoenix for example, The Interstates don't follow same pattern as in real life, some of this probably to accommodate for space and others seem to be cutting corners to not have incorporate most of the city itself. It feels a bit like it was rushed to completion.

Arizona also has several Mountain ranges none of which seem to be visible anywhere, hardly much of hill in exception of Flagstaff or Page. Elevation is an afterthought if there is any change to it across the state, not so much as hill to cross much less going up or down 5000 ft. They did some work over on desert vegetation, though most of the trees, cactus, etc have not been put into the game leaving much to be wanted in that area. Landmarks are in incorrect places or unfinished: Montezuma Castle is on the wrong side of the road, and isn't visible from the parking area, Petrified Forest although has its own off-ramp is non-existent, Grand Canyon is nothing but a large pit in the ground if you fly over it and it lacks proper detail work that distinguishes the canyon.

Just my home city of Flagstaff could use much work to make it look as it should, Mount Humphries is part of a large caldera its not a single mountain; it should be farther from town it doesn't encroach on the city like Mount Elden does perhaps that is the feature they were trying to make. On the east end of town the railroad tracks are crossed by an overpass in most cases not by crossing arms. well I could go on endlessly. Needless to say work can be done on the ATS map to bring it up to par with real life in some ways.

Shiva

30 Dec 2016 04:47

Regarding cities, remember the scale.

The stretch between Reno and Winnemucca could need a redo.
SR305/I80 placement. Carlin Tunnel in the totally wrong place.

Lovelock and it's truck stop could be added.
Carson City moved to the north a little bit and SR50 connected to it.

Callipso, I would myself mark a Tonopah redo higher than Flagstaff.
Salt River Canyon, now it is a bit too far south.

SR 180 California, I would disconnect it from US 395.
Chasta Lake is totally missing. It could fit to I5, or?
Atleast when Holbrooks is now far to south.

Myself? I have a wish that Barstow is redesigned. I15/I40 intersection. + City off ramps EAST of it. + railroads.
Last edited by Shiva on 30 Dec 2016 04:59, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

Callipso
Donation rank:

30 Dec 2016 04:59

No priority given on these ideas Shiva, CookiePLMonster just wanted to know what can be re-done or rebuilt so I offered up ideas based on what I know from experience.

I agree, there are more pressing areas that could probably use more immediate attention that most of AZ atm.

Shiva

30 Dec 2016 05:02

A lot can be redone and rebuilt :)
Reno, seems quite good.
Maybe easier to find cities that do not need any redo's?

Edit:
Callipso, how would you edit/redo Flagstaff to make it better ingame?

For ETS2, I know how I would edit Göteborg.
In short:
I would cut off the current north and south entrances to the bridge.
And instead add Gullbergsmotet and from there connect to the harbour thru a tunnel.
+ connect E20 to it. Road 40 would be connected where E20 is connected atm.
+ some more adjustments.

Barstow "not to scale!":
South of Exit 1 of I40: Elko's. Coastline Mining's side by side where Skanska is.
National Trail Hwy "Route 66", north of Exit 184 of I15 would have Motel, HMS, Bitumen, Railexport, Truck Repair and alternative place for Chemron.
Exit 175 of I15, removed.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

30 Dec 2016 18:56

Callipso wrote:
CookiePLMonster wrote: Arizona also has several Mountain ranges none of which seem to be visible anywhere, hardly much of hill in exception of Flagstaff or Page. Elevation is an afterthought if there is any change to it across the state, not so much as hill to cross much less going up or down 5000 ft.
This is the greatest "weakness" in both ATS and ETS2. Because of the massive scaling required, 5,000' height is reduced to a mere 250' pimple...

Whenever they go north west, Mt. Ranier's impressive 14,409' elevation will be rendered as 720.45'; which barely qualifies as a very tall hill! :lol:
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

Callipso
Donation rank:

30 Dec 2016 21:50

Shiva wrote: Edit:
Callipso, how would you edit/redo Flagstaff to make it better ingame?
As far a Flagstaff goes, most of the issue is on the east side like I said with the rail crossings, possibly nudging the interstate south a bit to accommodate for the overpass of the rail tracks after exiting the freeway. I wouldn't say my town is badly represented just needs a few items here or there and some work on the landscape a bit outside of town. Phoenix needs more work than anything in my state to me. lots of needless interchanges and exits, if one wants to keep them they can represent various loops and highways that encircle the city. These interchanges are the more important things 1.) the central interchange east of Downtown I-10 (Papago Fwy) and I-17 (Black Canyon Hwy), 2.) just east of the Airport where I-10 intersects with SR-51 (Piestwa Fwy) and SR-202 (Red Mountain Fwy), 3.) Southwest of the Airport before crossing the Salt River where I-17 officially terminates.

Would be nice to see Sky Harbor Airport, Camelback Mountain, Luke Air Force Base. just for some extras if space allows in the city
n4gix.bill.leaming wrote:
This is the greatest "weakness" in both ATS and ETS2. Because of the massive scaling required, 5,000' height is reduced to a mere 250' pimple...

Whenever they go north west, Mt. Ranier's impressive 14,409' elevation will be rendered as 720.45'; which barely qualifies as a very tall hill! :lol:
Yes, the scale is major hurdle. Though even hills are probably more enticing to see than one big flat Kansas from east coast to west coast.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ATS”

• Information