How I improve FPS on ETS2.

For problems that are not caused by ProMods
Tresco888

24 Sep 2017 16:43

After few weeks of testing, finally I can drive on cities, without major FPS fall.
I will try to explain here how I have do this, but it's important to understand that not everything I've done can go to you as well.
You need to test each part and the combinations between them.

With my GeForce GTS 250 1Gb I have now 15% - 50% more FPS than before and a much, much better quality.

This are my modifications:

1) I moved C:\Users\...\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2 entire folder on same drive where the game is install.

It seems that the game run better if is on same drive with profiles, mod,.... folders

For me are:
- ETS2 Docs - D:\Euro Truck Simulator 2
- ETS2 Game - D:\Program Files (x86)\Euro Truck Simulator 2

Change on your ETS2 Shortcut -> Properties -> Shortcut -> Target, adding -homedir "your new path"

For me is:
"D:\Program Files (x86)\Euro Truck Simulator 2\bin\win_x64\eurotrucks2.exe" -homedir D:\ -nointro

2) Change on D:\Euro Truck Simulator 2\config.cfg

One of the biggest problems for me was the "shadows" on game, even when I set them to minimum from games settings.

For who don't care about shadows in game (like me) my recomandations are:

uset r_cloud_shadows "0"
uset r_fake_shadows "0"
uset r_sun_shadow_texture_size "0"
uset r_sun_shadow_quality "0"

3) Settings in game "Graphics" window

- Refresh Rate: Default refresh

- Vertical Sync.: Disabled
Here you need to test, sometimes Enabled is better

- Scaling: 100%
I use NVIDIA Inspector for setting my video card driver.

- Antialiasing (MLAA): OFF
Big problem for all gamers

- High Dynamic Range (HDR): ON
Here you need to test, sometimes OFF is better, but you lose in quality, and game become too "dark" (less effects, all climates, days, ... seems to be the same, game become boring)

- Depth of Field (DOF): OFF
Not have a major impact on FPS. From what I know, this settings, make a blur effect on far images, like a fog. Turn ON if you like.

- Sunnshafts: ON
Is ON for same reason like HDR

- Color Correction: OFF
Here you need to test, sometimes ON is better. If you use some mods with impact on image, (weather, climate, skybox, other graphics mods....) keepit OFF, else you cancel your mod settings.

- Reflection Detail: Medium
- Vegetation Detail: Medium
Here you need to test:
Low, less Effects - more FPS
Medium good balanced, Effects - FPS
High, more Effects - less FPS
More or Less is an objective thing :)

- Grass Density: Disabled
Big problem for all players

- Shadow Quality: Disabled
Big problem for all players

- Shadow Texture Size: Custom
Big problem for all players. Is "Custom" because you set in config.cfg file to "0", with Low setting have "2048"

- Weather Quality: High
Here you need to test. Works like Reflection and Vegetation Detail.

- Mirror Quality: High
- Mirror Resolution: High
- Mirror Distance: High
Here you need to test. This settings are with major impact on FPS.
Low - you can't see too much in your mirrors but you increase FPS.
High (Ultra) - nice mirror images but you decrease FPS

- Texture Quality: High
Here you need to test. Works like Reflection and Vegetation Detail.

- Anisotropic Filtering: MINIMUM
Is hard to explain in few words, but you can see the "effects" of this setting on distance images when the viewing angle is sharp (especial to road lines in curves, fences ...).
This settings have a major impact on FPS, for me. For other players is not a problem. Setting to MAXIMUM (right side) give you a better quality for image but decrease FPS.
I set this to MINIMUM because I do Anisotropic Filtering with my graphics card (read NVIDIA Inspector Settings). Maybe I will slightly increase the value from the minimum in the future tests.
I have to test this value further.

- Normal Maps: ON
Improves image quality. I have not tested too much.

- Traffic Headlights: ON
To see other vehicles at night.

- Secondary Vehicle Lights: ON
More Lights for your truck.

- Light Visibility Ranges: High
High to see further at night.

- Pedestrians: OFF
Big problem for all players. Set to OFF to increase FPS.

Tresco888

24 Sep 2017 16:44

4) NVIDIA Inspector Settings

For settings my graphics card, I use NVIDIA Inspector. You can download from the net and read first some instruction how to use. Thanks Cipinho for recommendation to use this program. :)

With NVIDIA Inspector, everything is about testing. I have not yet met a setting good for me, from start. You have to adapt your settings to the specifics of your computer.
For this reason, what I write further is a guide.

There are too many to write about all, and for most of them I know nothing. :)

I will try a few explanations for some of them:

- Antialiasing Compatibility: 0x084012C1
There are many other values (like 0x080012C1), you have to test them. For some of them, you may not see certain images in the game (signs on the road). Some values seem to give a better image.

- SLI Compatibility Bits: 0x03402085
Increases FPS in the game. Not too much but is a plus for me.
Is for graphics cards that support SLI technology.
From what I read on net, are pros and cons to use it, I don't go into details.
I left it as I saw at most of players.

- FPS Limiter: 90 Celsius degrees
The name explain enough.
Here I chose 90 Celsius degrees because I have some problem with my graphics card fan, without limit, my card works on 105 Celsius degrees (maybe more but the sensor show max 105) :)
You can chose here what you want, are many values.

Next 5 are related with Vertical Sync which is Disabled on game settings. Video card make all.

- Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: 8
You can try values between 4 and 8. With less than 4, the setting loses its effect.

- Triple Buffering: ON
For me, setting ON, have a big impact on FPS

- Vertical Sync: Fast Sync
For me, Fast Sync, have a big impact on FPS, much good then Force On.

- Vertical Sync Smooth AFR behavior: ON
- Vertical Sync Tear Control: Standard

Setting Adaptive for Vertical Sync Tear Control, works only if your FPS is bigger than limit FPS, even is set by game (default or 60).
In fact doesn't works or works very rare. For this cause I set to Standard and value this works better with Vertical Sync Smooth AFR behavior: ON

- Antialiasing - Gamma Correction: OFF
If is ON change the colors and make them more "vibrant". Don't use if you have some mod with impact on colors (works like Color Correction from game settings)

- Antialiasing - Line Gamma: Disabled
Works for "singular lines" (like electrical wires, fences). With Enabled I did not see any major change in the quality of the images.

- Antialiasing - Mode: Enhance the application setting
Here was a big deal for me.:)
Most of players use here "Override any application setting". I can't play with this value, I do not know why but i have drastic fall for FPS. With "Enhance the application setting" game goes smoothly, and has had a major impact on FPS. With this setting, something changes to the game only if improvements are made otherwise to the values in the game

- Antialiasing - Setting: 4x Multisampling
- Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling
Here If you have some problems try to use 2x Multisampling and 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling.

- Enabled Maxwell Sample Interleaving (MFAA): ON
- NVIDIA Predefined FXAA Usage: Allowed
- Toggle FXAA on or off: ON
Some players use only MFAA. I use MFAA and FXAA, in combination, because they make to almost disappear completely those "teeth of saw" seen mostly in the truck at the windshield and in the mirror area.

Next 9 are related with Anisotropic Filtering which is Minimum on game settings. Video card make all.

- Anisotropic Filtering Mode: User-defined / Off

- Anisotropic Filtering Setting: 16x
You can use: 12x, 8x ...

- Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Filter Optimization: ON
- Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization: ON
- Texture Filtering - Driver Controlled LOD Bias: ON

- Texture Filtering - LOD Bias (DX): -1.0000
Usual is 0.0000.
If you use 2x Multisampling try -0.5000 or 0.5000
For 4x Multisampling try -1.0000 or +1.0000

- Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias: Allow
For LOD Bias (DX) negative value use here "Allow" for zero or positive value use "Clamp"

- Texture Filtering - Quality: High Performance
Try here all 4 values. Two are for image quality and two for FPS.

- Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: ON
This value don't count if you use "High Quality" for Texture Filtering - Quality

- Multi-Display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration: Single Display Performance Mode
Here you can try Compatibility Performance Mode, sometimes works better

- Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
Here you can try Optimal Performance, sometimes works better
Adaptive is not good at all and you will have decrease FPS, only use if you are more interested about your electricity bill :)

5) Other Changes

See which mods you use. Maybe graphics, weathers and traffics mods are your problem. If without them the game goes much better with your settings, you have a problem with the mods and not with the settings. For traffic mods you can also reduce the max_vehicle_count from traffic_data.sii and so increase FPS.
If you do not have a powerful computer, do not load too many mods. Test each mod, if you have FPS drops it means something is wrong with that mod.

With these settings, I have increased the FPS 15-20% on cities and by 30-50% for the rest.

Don't forget that you have to test each value. I don't think it you'll succeed from first try.

All The Best!!!

Master_of_the_roads

25 Sep 2017 13:17

A big thank you for this, wasn't sure about the FPS tweaking, but now I am . Will try to follow your guidelines even if I don't have an NVIDIA graphics card, but will do the same trick as it has done on yours. :)

Tresco888

25 Sep 2017 23:39

I'm glad to help you! :)

Update:

You must set the file config.cfg as read only, after modification, else the game change some settings to default values. Don't forget to change it back, if you make new settings from game, else the game can't save last values.:)
With uset r_segment_buffer_size "64" (default 128) from config.cfg and Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: 4 (or 3) from NVIDIA Inspector the game become more "responsive" (imo ofc), it's not a big deal for FPS.

kokosik321

12 Feb 2018 16:42

What resolution are u using in game?

alexhob123

01 May 2021 19:04

i tired to follow your guide but now my game starts with a small box in the middle and not full screen

Return to “Non-ProMods ETS2 problems”

• Information