def file 241 not taking effect?

For problems that are not caused by ProMods
RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

19 Sep 2019 05:45

Hi all, no idea what's happening here but here goes... I usually change my default map colours in the PM def file, because I don't like the defaults. For example I make the undiscovered roads bright gold, and the discovered ones boring gray. I change the colours of the route advisor roads. That kind of thing.

In the past this has worked: I load PM and the map does indeed show my customised colours.

But this time, I have no idea why, the customisations I put into my PM def file do not seem to be taking effect in the game. The map colours are default, as are the RA.

I did check using Mod Manager, and the correct scs file is being loaded (the one I created using PM's web-based tool).

Is this a known problem? is it just me? is it just OSX? There are (of course) no errors in the game log.

It's not a game breaker, but I did like my custom colours and kinda miss them.
British living in Canada, over 60, Hackintosh AMD RX580/8GB, OSX Mojave
USBcycle
The Beginner's Guide to SCS Mapping (WIP)
All DLCs + ProMods (sometimes: + RusMap + SR + GreatSteppe) Level 43

Cipus
Donation rank:

19 Sep 2019 10:49

take the map_data.sii file where you add your colors and place it with high priority. probably you have a zoom mod active which cancel your modifications in promods def files.
a good practice is not to modify the promods def file, just extract files you want modified and make an addon, in this way you keep a trace of your modifications and also you can revert to default in case of issues ;)
Enjoy driving with Real Traffic Density for ETS2 / ATS and Real Ai traffic engine sounds ETS2 / ATS

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

21 Sep 2019 05:44

I'm sorry, I didn't phrase my question clearly enough. I never edited any PM files. I used the PM "create your definition file" (web page) method and chose my preferred colours from the menus on that page under Colour Settings. Then I install PM as usual, including its def file (either with or without RusMap depending on the profile). But the colour settings I chose while using the Def File Generator web page don't seem to be enforced in the game.
USBcycle

bmwGTR

21 Sep 2019 08:45

Hi,

I think you understand cipinho wrong - it seems that you are using a mod which is overriding the definitions of the ProMods Def file.
Please show us your game.log, then we can see which mod is overriding the ProMods Def file.

Best regards,
bmwGTR
ETS2: ProMods + RusMap + The Great Steppe
ATS: ProMods + Grand Canyon + Reforma

ProMods Moderator since April 2018

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

22 Sep 2019 06:10

Sorry I did indeed not understand cipinho's response. My latest game log is enormous -- way too big for comfortable cut/paste -- so I provide here a link to a free file sharing service from which you can download it. Haven't used them before, hope it works.

https://gofile.io/?c=mSHMl3

many thanks to anyone who can explain this so I know how to do it right in future...
USBcycle

Cipus
Donation rank:

22 Sep 2019 10:02

you did not mention that you edit the colors directly in ProMods before downloading the def file, there the confusion :lol:
alright, it's exactly what I said, a mod overwrites the original map_data.sii from ProMods def, in fact the file where you build your colors. most likely this mod is Map-Zoom_for_Promods
Enjoy driving with Real Traffic Density for ETS2 / ATS and Real Ai traffic engine sounds ETS2 / ATS

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

25 Sep 2019 06:46

@cipinho sorry I'm a little late responding, got interrupted by real life :-(

You suggested that MapZoom for ProMods (with RusMap) might be the culprit but in the profile I am using, I am not loading RusMap or MapZoom:

Just core, PM, and a few lightweight mods. Can you see a mod in here that would touch the map colours for some reason?

Also, I've been loading this particular set of mods for a long time now -- couple of years? -- and I could swear that the PM def file used to work, a few months ago. Then I went on vacation (for the summer) and when I came back and upgraded to 1.35 SCS and 2.41 PM, the def file didn't seem to work any more.

I put ME add-on above regular PM because that was what I read in the load order guidelines...

Like I say it is not a game breaker, just kinda disappointing that I can't switch the map road colours to what I would prefer.
USBcycle

bmwGTR

25 Sep 2019 07:42

Hi,

The Middle-East add-on is overwriting your changes in the ProMods def.
The Middle-East add-on is also containing a map_data.sii (because Middle-East add-on is using a different background map than ProMods).

You can not put the ProMods def above Middle-East def, otherwise you will get a shifted map (and errors in Cyprus).

I would recommend to open ProMods Def, open map_data.sii and copy the changes to the Middle-east def (into map_data.sii).

Best regards,
bmwGTR
ETS2: ProMods + RusMap + The Great Steppe
ATS: ProMods + Grand Canyon + Reforma

ProMods Moderator since April 2018

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

25 Sep 2019 18:05

YAY an answer! Thanks so much! I am just knowledgeable enough to open an scs zipfile and meddle with the content, so I will do as you suggest.

[later] just wanted to check back in and say that it worked great! though I have to say I'm baffled by the 8 digit hex colour codes inside ETS2 config files. What the heck format are they? Not one I've seen before. The only way I've found to discover the hex codes is to generate ETS2 def files and then read the map_data.sii from the generated scs. Am guessing the first FF refers to saturation or transparency (FF being opaque) but what are the other bits? CMY instead of RGB?
USBcycle

Return to “Non-ProMods ETS2 problems”

• Information