Stuttering during the game

For problems that are not caused by ProMods
Omicron
Developer

24 Jan 2020 16:24

Hey,

I've recently been dealing with stutters during the game. Normally, the game can achieve 40-60 FPS with no stutters at all. However, the stutters have become more persistent and result in a drop of about 15-25 FPS for about 5 seconds - this can happen every 10-15 seconds or so. It doesn't matter whether I'm driving through a very detailed city (e.g. Barcelona) or on a country in the Baltics - it is completely random. I looked up solutions, but I'm a little hesitant to follow them as I don't want to unnecessarily delete files or uninstall and reinstall the game for no reason if there's a solution that doesn't involve this at all. Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just to clarify: this does not only happen on a profile with ProMods activated, it happens on any profile.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

jburrowes

04 Feb 2020 07:53

I just solved my own frame-rate issues by installing the free Rivatuner Statistics Server.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rt ... nload.html

Install and run and click Add at lower left. Point the program to your game's exe and then set the framerate to lock at some level that your machine can handle.

For me, playing in VR on a Rift S, that's 40 fps. Since doing that, the slow down then lurch forward FAST, slow down lurch forward FAST problem is gone. I've even turned the grass back on and set vegetation to high.

Before kind of stumbling upon this gem of a program, I spent way too much time trying other things. With well over one hundred hours driving, so far, better late than never.

I've changed other settings so I can't remember what was set by default so... On the Setup's General tab, near the bottom, you might have to check "enable framerate limiter," and on the User Interface tab scroll to the bottom and slide the skin scaling unti the window is a readable size. It's pretty small by default.

Hope this solves the issue for you.

Added in 1 hour 4 minutes 13 seconds:
Update:

As I'm in Bern atm - a lovely (virtual) city - I decided to test nearly maxed graphics settings. I also dialed the fixed fps back to 30. I zoomed around at night and then during the day, taking corners fast, and didn't have even one instance of slowing and lurching / stuttering. I'm not positive but maybe, just maybe, I'm seeing the 30 fps. Meaning maybe I'm seeing the frames updating. If I am it's so subtle that it's easily overlooked.

As above, I should mention I play in VR. I've an MSI gaming laptop with an i7 8750H and a 6 GB 1660 Ti (mobile); just 8 GBs of memory; and ETS2 is installed on its SSD.

I should also mention that in ETS2's settings, vertical synchronization should be disabled. Refresh rate can be left at default. This is so that the Rivatuner can work its magic and lock the fps.

Also, I'm running the sim at the laptop's native 1920 x 1080 p resolution - windowed. I've no idea whether switching to full screen would affect these results. I like being able to alt-tab to the desktop so I'm leaving it as is.

Omicron
Developer

15 Feb 2020 16:09

Thank you very much! Sorry for the late reply - I was seeing if there were any ways around this, including leaving the charger plugged in (I have a laptop, you see), which did the trick. I then decided to try out what you suggested without the charger plugged in, and so far, so good! Thank you again. :D
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

Return to “Non-ProMods ETS2 problems”

• Information