It's only my opinion

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
khaoste

10 Oct 2016 16:35

Hi, my dear Promods Developers,

At first, I want to thank you all for this great map. Your work is simply incredible and outstanding.
I've passed probably nearly 400 hours (real life time, eh ;) ) with your map, since looong time ago and I have loved all of them. A very grat work from you and a very enjoyment for me all the time passed with it.

Thank you very much guys.

But,

in the last months I was seeing that the performances of the game with your map loaded in game were going worst at every new release. Doesn't matter what kind of graphic settings was used, there were some parts of the map that run badly.

These parts were a little bit portion of the map in the past, so no worries with it, but now there are al lot of situations that have this kind of problems. Every big or medium interchange and pratically every city have evident problems on loading.

So, in the last days I created a new profile with the standard map (plus official expansions, of course). I haven't played the standard map for years and, wow, the game was smooth and run like butter...

I understand that you have added a very large quantity of things on the game, but maybe it's becoming too much, my rig (i7 4790k, gtx 980ti, 16 gb ram @1866 Mhz, 2 Samsung 850 evo SSDs) can't handle it and obtain discrete performances, while with the normal map + expansions + a bunch of other mods the game runs like a charm with maxed graphic settings and 4k resolution @ 60 fps constant and solid...

I'm sad to say it, because trust me I really love your work, but I think that I'll stop to use your map guys, if the direction of it's development is what I'm seeing now.

Like was written in the title, it's only my opinion.

Bye

Stefano

IvanGF14
Developer

10 Oct 2016 18:06

Hi, thanks for your oppinion, and thanks to write it politely and not insulting. Of course is your oppinion, and we respect it, but you cant compare the perfomance of standart map with PR. Is like: I get 60 fps on max settings on gta sa, i want the same on gta v with the same pc. Sorry but is not possible. Promods gives a way higher quality, and that requires more power. I can play in most of map at 40fps with max settings, 125% of scale and fullhd, and get 20-25fps on most cities, with a cheap 260x 2gb and a FX-8350. Your GPU is very good, but that GPU is not for 4k gaming. You should play at Full-HD, because is for which resolution the GPU is designed. For 4k resolutions on modern games you have the 1080 and the Titan X Pascal. To be honest, i would stopped playing ETS2 years ago without Promods, the standart map is boring. And every time i play ETS2MP, i play it on Scandinavia, and i dont leave it, because is the nearest thing to PR. I will do the same with FR, and just use the standart map to travel btween both DLC's. Just for lowering the resolution from 4k to 2k, the game will give you a lot more of FPS, and visually the difference wont be noticeable (if you are not playing in a 120" screen, of course)

khaoste

10 Oct 2016 18:20

Thanks for the reply and sorry, I would have specified that with promods I cannot have 60 fps for the most of the time at 1080p, with some settings like vegetation, mirrors, reflecrions at medium and without upscaling...

My fault ;)

And, sure, promods adds a lot of nice things, but if for seeing them at 60 fps I have to set lower graphic, and despite it, I have however frame rate problems for the most of the time passed in the game now, at this point I'm forced to choose vanilla map.
And it's bad, I know this, promods map is great as I just said before.

phlyer91
Donation rank:

10 Oct 2016 18:22

You can play Promods with highest settings and it can run smooth, but you need a very good system.
It sounds a bit crazy but i only bought a gaming computer with i7 6700K 4,00GHZ 16GB RAM and NVidia GTX1080 to play ETS2 and especially Promods on highest settings and 400% Scaling because it's the first video game i really love!
I play it on 60 FPS the whole time.

JESAN
Donation rank:

10 Oct 2016 20:38

A 144hz monitor helps, along with a few setting tweaks.
Excepted for a few cities and for a shortwhile at some intersections, I have often 50/60 FPS in cab, sometimes more and outside the max I have is about 85 fps

400 % scaling and many mods including a more traffic mod

Still I only have an i5 4590, an ATI r280x vapor tri, so I believe you can get more from your rig than what you have now.

This doesn't mean I have low quality graphics :

RoadRageDude
Donation rank:

10 Oct 2016 22:02

For ProMods maps, I get a best 45 fps while driving inside the cab of the truck and over 60 fps while using any of the exterior cameras 2 to 8. I have an Intel i5-4460 processor, 32gb of DDR3 (or 4 can't tell) Ram, and a GeForce GTX 950 2GB OC.

khaoste

11 Oct 2016 10:35

Guys, you all are advicing me with suggestions and more... Thank you, really, but it isn't needed. ;)

I'm not a programmer or a developer, I know nothing about this things. But here the performance problems are not related to graphic settings. I repeat myself, promods has performances problems despite the graphic settings you use. The game has some years now, every rig we have posted here could handle it with no problems and in fact the game is handled with no problems in vanilla map.

For me, and this is a personal opinion, the big problem of ETS2 is IA traffic, and unfortunately promods map is hitting strongly with this. If we are on a big interchange, out of a city, with only some trees and hills around it, there are however big loss of FPS. This fact let me think that the only thing that weighs in these moments is the traffic, how it is handled by the game code. For me, the problem is here. Obviously, the cities created by promods developers are full of streets and interchanges, far more than the ones of vanilla map, and in cities there is always the same problem.

That's why I think that promods is going too far with the design of the map, which for sure remains great, but it's too much for what ETS2 can handle with its code.

Now, if you are satisfied by playing the game at 40 fps stable, or for you doesn't matter if the game slows to 25/30 continously, there are no problems. But the problems remain for me. ;)

That's why I said that since few months ago, promods was running reasonably, but now, the performances problems are too much strong to let me close an eye and play it.

Another thing that I could say, if 400 hours of gameplay and testing is interesting for someone to know:

There is Poland rebuilding in promods, great work itself too. This plus the work on France are great, they are the best parts of promods for me, and they work with no big performance problems.

On the other side, Baltic area and Finlad looks ugly, if compared to Poland and France (always personal opinion...), and they run worse too! Baltic area particularly is a continous full slow motion. On the other side of europe, Barcelona, terrible... This is what let me think...

Too much streets guys, too much streets for this game.

yuhui2008

11 Oct 2016 12:24

High quality material details map,Of course need good PC ;) ;)

LoaderSaints

11 Oct 2016 12:26

@khaoste
At what frequency is your processor running? The reason why I'm asking is because that may or may not be a bottleneck in your system. Some games are more CPU than GPU heavy (Cities: Skylines is probably one of the best examples here). And we all know ETS2 is a badly optimized game overall (not the fault of ProMods).

khaoste

11 Oct 2016 13:47

LoaderSaints wrote:@khaoste
At what frequency is your processor running? The reason why I'm asking is because that may or may not be a bottleneck in your system. Some games are more CPU than GPU heavy (Cities: Skylines is probably one of the best examples here). And we all know ETS2 is a badly optimized game overall (not the fault of ProMods).
My CPU is capable to run from 4 to 5 GHz. Not more than 5, because the stability of the system goes bad.

For sure this game is CPU dependant, and your example about skylines is great. A game capable to run badly without mods too ;)

Fortunately ets2 is a bit better than skylines on optimization side, but it's not good however.

And, yes, I'm not stating a fault of promods here. The problem is ets2 for first. But, adding so much things on promods (streets and big interchanges in first place, the problems are not the better textures guys) is going to be a bad situation for it, just because ets2 can't handle them.
I never said that is a fault directly ascribed to promods, it's obviously a limit of ets2. But the other obvious consequence is that promods in its actual state is heavily affected by that.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information