[Request] Oslo-Kiel

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Flemmen
Donation rank:

22 Mar 2014 11:15

Hello.
Can you guys make a ferry route:

*Oslo-Kiel*
*Kiel-Oslo*

thanks! :D

M4rkus

22 Mar 2014 11:20

They will say:

No, because it's not a ferry simulator. Using this ferry would be cheating (no matter that it's there in reality.)

And you will say:

But it's there in reality! And if you do not want to take the ferry, you can avoid it, anyway!

And they will say:

But your GPS will force you to take the ferry because if you do not take the road shown you will certainly feel very bad.

:lol:

Flemmen
Donation rank:

22 Mar 2014 11:25

Haha, ok.. Thanks for answer:p

Nissantruck

22 Mar 2014 12:41

M4rkus wrote:They will say:

No, because it's not a ferry simulator. Using this ferry would be cheating (no matter that it's there in reality.)

And you will say:

But it's there in reality! And if you do not want to take the ferry, you can avoid it, anyway!

And they will say:

But your GPS will force you to take the ferry because if you do not take the road shown you will certainly feel very bad.

:lol:
I am going to say something like this:
1. If the ETS2 would be a ferry simulator then you could steer the ship/ferry but you cant because it is a truck simulator.
It is so boring when people complain about it all the time and it is like i did say before you can choose to use the ferry if
you wish to do that it is up to you the truck driver.
2. When i use a Gps/Navigation system in my car in the real life I do not drive just as the machine says
i should drive but i drive the way i wish to drive the route and the gps can only give advice to me when i drive
because sometimes the Gps offers different routes for me to use and they can be sometimes longer or in some
other way bad for the driver like for example: Rush hour traffic or road maintenance work and not all the Gps
equipment can even no that if they are old or you have an old update on it.
3. The ETS2 has a map that you can use when you drive(press for exp.the button M for the map or the button esc also
for the map)and if you can read a map that can help a lot.
4. The ETS2 map is a copy from real life places so why not have more real places like for exp.more ferry terminals
that can be used or not because you can drive to your destination too if you need to do that and give the people who
like to drive long distances on roads a change to do what they wish to do and not use ferry ports if that is so bad to
do because it is really stupid to complain that it is cheating if I use the ferry and not the road i mean this is a simulator
map mod that people can have fun when they use it and it is not a kindergarten so think about other people who
use this map mod too i mean when you update the Promods map mod. :x

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ_5lE ... IZu7IkSXYw
Senior Beta-Tester and translator for the Finnish language and
the Local language Moderator for the Finnish language in Discord.

M4rkus

22 Mar 2014 13:04

I can understand both views. I think, the lack of those ferries is for gameplay reasons. And the guys who designed that mod want it to be driven through and may think "If we put all ferries into the game, nobody would enjoy the Danish countryside". Eventually it is up to them (but I can understand that you would like to have something in the game which is there in reality as well). From the gameplay side, it would probably make more sense if there were more cities and towns in the interior of the country. I, personally, wouldn't want them to do the rest of Scandinavia but set priority to the other countries just as they intend to do it currently.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

22 Mar 2014 22:06

Nissantruck: About 99,9% of the people drive blind, just on GPS.

We say no, so that is no.

Reasons for that were given by M4rkus in a very nice dialog :lol:

Still that is why we don't do it.... and Im sorry if you want it, but we ain't gonna make it.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

22 Mar 2014 22:06

Nissantruck: About 99,9% of the people drive blind, just on GPS.

Still that is why we don't do it.... and Im sorry if you want it, but we ain't gonna make it.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

22 Mar 2014 23:06

There is another effect if we would add more ferries: your trips will devaluate. The thing in ETS 2 is that the price of your job offer is calculated by the shortest route and by road based kilometers ONLY! If you add more ferries, the distance of the shortest route covered by road will become less and thus, prices will drop in Scandinavia. So it does have a big influence on the game itself...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

M4rkus

23 Mar 2014 11:12

Yesterday I had an idea how to make the ferries without destroying the gameplay but making it even more variable and interesting. Unfortunately I'm afraid nobody will put this into reality as it would probably require major code rewriting. I'm going to explain it, anyway. ;)

In Euro Truck Simulator 2 you can always use the ferry, no matter when you arrive at the harbour. The captain will bring you to Scandinavia even if you're the only one who wants to get from Harwich to Esjberg at 3:24 am. Well, in reality ferries don't wait for their passengers instead the passengers wait for them. It's the same with the Kiel – Oslo ferry. Here is a vague glance from the ferry schedules (I have looked at the ferries for normal passengers, it might be well different for freight ferries but you might get an idea how this could work):

Calais ↔ Dover: more or less every hour or every two hours
Hull ↔ Rotterdam: once daily (around 8:00 pm)
Newcaste ↔ IJmuiden: once daily (around 5:00 pm)
Kiel ↔ Oslo: once daily (2:00 pm)
Harwich ↔ Esbjerg: four times a week (around 5:00 pm)

To make this work, it would probably require a workaround for the navigation to make it aware that ferries aren't always the best option to choose. It would be even better to have an option "avoid ferries completely". But if one decides to take the ferry, journeys between two cities might differ depending on the starting time (due to the different times of the ferry). It would turn Euro Truck Simulator 2 into a real ferry simulator which I would appreciate, though. :lol:

Nissantruck

23 Mar 2014 12:33

Nico wrote:Nissantruck: About 99,9% of the people drive blind, just on GPS.

So here i go again so it is not smart to have a lot of ferry ports in the same place for example:Denmark i mean 2 ferry ports side by side that is stupid i mean you can make a lot of terminals to a one country but not more to other countrys so that is like i did say stupid.
M4rkus is correct about the ferry times because for example if a person takes a ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn the time for that trip is prox.2 hours and the ferry leaves from the port Every 45 minutes and you can use up to 5 ferry boats for that trip and if a person uses a ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm the time for the trip is prox.15 hours and you can use up to 4 ferry boats for that trip so the ferry is faster because i do not need to drive to Turku from Vantaa.I now this because i use those ferry boats in the real life and i usually do not do as the gps is saying because usually the route is not correct for me and i do the same thing with this simulator i can read a map.
And i must say that can you the makers of this Promods map even drive a car in the real life so that you can have some kind of a feel for driving a car in the real world traffic situations.
And if my ideas and other peoples ideas would be your ideas then of course you would use them but offcourse not because that can be nice to other people too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ_5lE ... IZu7IkSXYw
Senior Beta-Tester and translator for the Finnish language and
the Local language Moderator for the Finnish language in Discord.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information