Signals 300m, 200m ... wrong distance

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
pacoon

17 Jan 2017 12:57

In many sections of road the distance between the signals of 300m, 200m, 100m, isn't good. The distance is shorter than three trucks in a row. I understand that the map is scaled, the distances between cities are shorter, but the speeds are real and in decelerations it helps that these signals are located at the correct distance.

Regards

BarrGDA
Donation rank:

17 Jan 2017 14:35

Very picky thing to moan about.

They are placed there to increase realism of the map in terms of aesthetics, not distances. The scale of the map is really small.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

17 Jan 2017 15:27

Indeed, this is a bit of nitpicking about nothing...

The distance signs are place in such a way it looks like real life. Not real distances.

Due to the scale we can't do that. And it would look strange to see such a sign telling you it's 160m, 109m, 54m away (for instance). That would just be ridiculous.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Flabber

17 Jan 2017 15:43

Just wondering, is the sign distance consistent all over the mod? Or isn't that such a big deal? Just wondering because i am about to plant those signs myself in a few moments.

ETS2-User
Developer

17 Jan 2017 15:59

We calculate it thumbnail * π. While the thumb can be put next to your eye or at stretched arms, depending on how good each developer is in estimating distances. :P
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

pacoon

19 Jan 2017 21:08

It's just a suggestion, a constructive criticism, I'm not complaining. Sorry, I thought it was a simulator but I see it is something aesthetic, that is why there are areas where they are well located and in others not, because that is more beautiful. Some developers pretend to simulate reality and others to make a more aesthetic map. They could make the buildings smaller, they would be very nice and the cities would be bigger.

In trainz simulator you had templates that you used to measure distances but it seems that in ets2 it is much harder to create a plane (100m x 5m) to place on the map while the signals are placed.

Thanks to good developers for this great map.

Shiva

21 Jan 2017 00:15

Trainz? Scale there is 1:1 I guess?
Then easier in that game.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

pacoon

22 Jan 2017 07:06

Really? Are you telling me that ets2 is on a scale or that distances between cities are shorter than in real life? Because I do not understand the problem.
If in real life it takes half an hour from Luxembourg to Metz (for example) as in the game from Luxembourg to Dresden, the signals can not be placed at the correct distance because the map is to scale. Luxembourg - Metz 100km, in the game 10km, then in building 20 meters high would have a height of 2 m. Where is the scale?
In trainz the distances between cities could be correct or not but the distances between signals yes to brake in time before the luminous signals or a station.

Callipso
Donation rank:

22 Jan 2017 21:11

There is a scale, though its not every object abides by this scale in-game, this is to give you the illusion that you are still driving on the road in real life. The in-game scale on the highway is 1:19 and yes if everything did use that scale appropriately things would end up being very tiny. Cities work on a 1:3 scale to allow enough space to make it seem as though your in a city and not a small hamlet or village.

YNM

23 Jan 2017 00:35

ETS2 map is mostly scaled down, thanks to the generally higher complexity needed for mapping roads and their surroundings (railways, on the other hand, doesn't have that much scenery, more so in europe, apart from gently rolling hills (?) and people's backyards, and their relatively small size, like a single line instead of the whole network in the UK, for example). Promods, as an improvement over the old map, is scaled in 1:19 (and 1:3 in cities) and far, far more detailed over vanilla. While objects are real-scaled, the map itself is scaled - and, if you haven't noticed, the time progression is scaled (hence why it doesn't take you a real day to actually progress from a night to another night again in-game).

But I think that perhaps the placement can be improved. Sometimes you can see all three distance sign in one place, sometimes it's quite far away that you can't see all of it at once. I suppose some sacrifice could occur (like, omitting the 300m distance sign on the shorter courses ? Or make all of them equally shortly distanced though that would be a useless information ? Or is it just due to the four-lane highway ?).

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information