Semaphore or traffic lights - Good Idea from brainiac - Can you do it, too?

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Teppey71

06 May 2017 14:17

Hello,

brianiacs semaphore Mod is a good idea for high traffic mod.

My idea is because with brainiacs mod at some crossroads the traffic lights hanging in the air or the traffic lights it mirror-inverted. Can you insert this into your ProMods-Map fundamentally new, especially at large crossroads?

PS: Excuse me for the double and triple post. But my browser works so slowly today that I have not found that my post has already been saved.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

06 May 2017 16:40

I do not understand what you mean by 'Brainiacs semaphore' are a good idea.
He changed the sequence and removed the 'red-yellow' from the traffic lights. So that's basically make the map more unrealistic then it's making it more realistic..

If you want to use it, feel free to do so, but we are not going to included it into our mod.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Teppey71

06 May 2017 18:39

I mean the semaphore mod from brianiac is a good idea.

What I like about his mod is that the traffic light phases take longer and each side has a different green phase, so that the AI fluids come over the intersection and do not obstruct each other and come to a halt. - (...halt? - Right word? My translater called it so).

And red-yellow-phase is not right, also to my liking. - But my hope is only if you add a traffic light system to the large crossrads, so that traffic does not always come to a standstill. (I don't know, why my translator called in the second time "standstill". I hope, you know, what I mean.)

If you dont't want to do it, it's like that. Is ok for me, but maybe you'll reconsider it again. - Little hope, which is known to die last (say in German so - whether it across in English exactly?)

brainiac
Donation rank:

06 May 2017 20:00

Teppey71 wrote:
06 May 2017 18:39
My idea is because with brainiacs mod at some crossroads the traffic lights hanging in the air or the traffic lights it mirror-inverted.
But my hope is only if you add a traffic light system to the large crossrads, so that traffic does not always come to a standstill. (I don't know, why my translator called in the second time "standstill". I hope, you know, what I mean.)
For this is responsible Better traffic flow mod. I don't have time to add poles every time when I am updating it to new version of e.g. Promods. I must every time to add semaphores because of changes on sectors (possible fixed bugs).
Volleybal4life wrote:
06 May 2017 16:40
He changed the sequence and removed the 'red-yellow' from the traffic lights. So that's basically make the map more unrealistic then it's making it more realistic..
Returning red-yellow is easy. If it is only problem with my mod, I can solve it.
But MandelSoft said that longer greens and reds aren't realistic, so I think that only shorter variant can be included in Promods. Anyway, I have what I want so I don't care because my mod isn't part of Promods. Even this is better, I am earning pocket money from mods. For same reason I won't ask aldimator and later EAA authors to add rebuilding interchanges to Rusmap and EAA.
Working on San Diego map, 2:5 scale: www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25293
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and
- company advisors (which companies to put where)

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

06 May 2017 22:33

In general, it may work well on the short term, but not on the long term. The truth is that the two-phase setup is much more common in real life than the four-phase setup from Brainiac when it comes to intersections without dedicated turning lanes. We simply reflect that. The problem is that with more phases, the proportion of the time you have to wait for a red light grows with each phase. Shorter phases isn't going to help; you will face a red light 75% of the time instead of ~50% of the time. So this means that queues will build up eventually, even if it allows left-turning traffic to flow freely. That is why we won't implement it.

In real life, I'd implement a dedicated left turning lane and add seperate left turning phases to the traffic light sequence and then tweak the traffic lights to the most optimal time schedule (or even better: use detectors to adjust to demand).

(Trust me, I actually have a master's degree in this kind of stuff).
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

brainiac
Donation rank:

07 May 2017 00:54

"The truth is that the two-phase setup is much more common in real life than the four-phase setup from Brainiac when it comes to intersections without dedicated turning lanes."
The truth is that almost all crossroads which in ETS2 don't have lane for left turning in real life have them. So, I think, that argument isn't good.

I think that discussion is pointless, it was already on my topic. I will just say from experience that with 2-phase setup traffic flow in right lane is more than good, but in left lane is terrible. I think that compromise is in middle of my mod and Promods' semaphore work.
My conclusion is: Everyone who don't like Promods' semaphore cycles is welcome to use Improved semaphore cycles.

MandelSoft, if you want to teach me how, I can make new prefabs, based on exsisting prefabs which you make for DLC Scandinavia. I would to make crossroads with 1 and 2 lanes for left turning, and for 2 and 3 lanes for straight. I will have time on summer.
Working on San Diego map, 2:5 scale: www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25293
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and
- company advisors (which companies to put where)

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information