Too much Hassle

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Kyan

07 Aug 2017 19:49

Firstly, I Would like to say nice job! you've done a good job expanding the game for us, but I have to say that i think you guys are shooting yourselves in the foot a little here. The number of hoops, and the hassle to download (insanely slowly) and install makes it not really worthwhile. A While back, I installed version 2.0, and for the most part was very impressed. But the thought of going through it all again fills me with dread. Why not add the package to the steam workshop? It would hit a much bigger audience, and save you guys time and effort.

I Know what your going to say, its easy to install, costs a tiny amount to get the one file, but that assumes the user has the slightest idea of how to do more than launch a game, and has access to a bank card or pay-pal etc.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

07 Aug 2017 19:58

There are two main reasons why ProMods is not on the Steam Workshop:

1. The Steam Workshop doesn't support maps
2. ProMods is simply too big for Steam limits.

So, there is not really a viable alternative at the moment.

And furthermore, is it not more than reasonable to expect even some basic knowledge of how his or her computer works? Modding is, by all means, not a standard procedure and shouldn't really be treated as one.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

ScuL
Founder

07 Aug 2017 20:02

We're not shooting ourselves in the foot because the "product" as such is highly desirable and most people are happy to go through these steps in order to obtain it for free. The free download method is intentionally set up to be a hassle for a number of reasons.

ProMods is far too large to be added to the Steam Workshop (6.5GB whereas the limit is 1GB) and secondly map mods are not supported plus it would completely destroy our revenue system in order to pay for the required server infrastructure.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

07 Aug 2017 20:04

MandelSoft wrote:
07 Aug 2017 19:58
And furthermore, is it not more than reasonable to expect even some basic knowledge of how his or her computer works? Modding is, by all means, not a standard procedure and shouldn't really be treated as one.
And that's why we've made a perfectly clear tutorial. But still people manage to fail to install ProMods successful...

No matter how easy something is, no matter how chewed out the explanation is. There are always people who either don't read properly, or just are plain fools..

For instance, the download of the DEF file. It's written in bright red, with exclamation marks, in a bigger font, but still people manage to skip this easy first step...
If we would get a dollar for every time someone forgot to download (or enable) the DEF-file, no-one at ProMods would need to have a job besides ProMods...

You can't make something 100% fool-proof, just impossible.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

VMB-TAN
Donation rank:

07 Aug 2017 21:33

PC's, downloading and installing take a bit of knowledge, yes, but the tutorials here are very clear, and helped me through the process :)

Kyan

08 Aug 2017 10:41

I Really feel that I should apologise for my post. I Was not aware of the limitation on the steam workshop. I Really do feel that this is a truly remarkable mod.

KyotoCarl
Donation rank:

08 Aug 2017 19:26

I must say, frankly ,you're just lazy. Promods is free and it's not really hard to download or install. Slow download speeds? Pay $1 and get a fast download ($1 is paid to keep the server up, not for Promods itself).
Maybe you haven't read the tutorial correctly? Promods is NOT hard to install. It's very easy and straight-forward. Download, unzip, put in folder and use exactly as you do when you download something from the Steam Workshop.

Sorry for the harsh tone but I think people need to put in some effort before they start ranting about things on forums.

Callipso
Donation rank:

08 Aug 2017 21:11

I hardly think this requires any effort at all, I mean zip files cannot be more easy to deal with. All of ProMods files are simply copy paste directly to mod folder and your done, can't more more simple than that. I really don't see how so many can fail at downloading and extracting a zip file. one has to be completely clueless about computer files or something to not be able to work with this kind of file on your computer. If that is the case then perhaps its better if you just use the vanilla map and try and use a mod at all.

Davyddin
Donation rank:

11 Aug 2017 21:19

Kyan wrote:
08 Aug 2017 10:41
I Really feel that I should apologise for my post. I Was not aware of the limitation on the steam workshop. I Really do feel that this is a truly remarkable mod.
Kudos for apologizing, sir!
ProMods moderator, translator, and tester. ATS and ETS2 player and modder. Author e.g. of the Profile Jumpstart mods. Fennoswede from the Finnish archipelago.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information