Moldova is a Little Rough

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
SquareCanine

02 Sep 2017 03:54

Visited the south east corner of Promods for my first time today...and I don't think I'll ever go back to Moldova. Starting a short ways from the Moldova-Romania border inside Romania, the roads have a LOT of rough patches. I mean, for all I know the roads in Moldova truly are just awful, but the portrayal in the game is what I would expect of the frozen dirt roads in Siberia.

Aside from what feels like fully half the roads in Moldova being so rough that I was legitimately worried (at first) about damaging my truck at the posted speed limit, my frustration is compounded by two things. First, the rough roads use textures for coblestone and concrete. The cobblestone is fairly consistent (and very fun at 60 km/h), but the concrete is not. There is no possible way from looking at the road ahead if I am about to drive onto 'baby bottom smooth' concrete road, or 'bounce into the ditch and die' concrete road. I presume the 'bumpy road' signs are supposed to help with this, but they are, almost without fail, posted in the middle of sections of bumpy roads rather than the start.

So, is it supposed to be that rough? I know for me I just found it really annoying. I've loved the rest of the map work so far, including Russia, but Moldova is basically 50% test track suspension test, and it gets old fast. At least for me :(

ScuL
Founder

02 Sep 2017 06:25

Yes it's intended that way. Moldovan roads are really poor. You're not supposed to achieve the speed limit :)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Callipso
Donation rank:

02 Sep 2017 07:09

Oh, man speak for yourself here. I love those bumpy roads, they remind me of driving in the desert with a sand-rail at like 70-80 mph its a whole lot of fun going over that rough terrain really fast. part of the fun comes when you just let your worries go and let loose. of course I know that Moldova is not reflective of the Mojave Desert in anyway except the washboard roads. Its only a game in the end so why not just go for it? btw those roads in Moldova are nothing compared to the roadway mess in RusMap every now and then you get a huge crack that you didn't expect coming at you at 110 kph... a real slam the brakes moment if you don't want some serious damage (I've hit more than one where I actually did damage my truck pretty hard 40% damage if I remember) the roads in Moldova don't hurt you they are just bumpy.

Rudi Raser
In Memoriam
Donation rank:

02 Sep 2017 10:16

i was a couple of times in Moldova, my wife is from there. yes it is there like that, no it is even more bad. that said last time my brother in law too, after i showed him ProMods Moldova.
the situation there it's like you're in the year ~1900.
No Support via PM!

loupdargent

02 Sep 2017 10:23

I've never visited promods Moldova, but i love rough roads, and the feeling that trucking is an adventure.

Barrett_killz

02 Sep 2017 12:08

Laughed at the way you were saying about bumpy road traffic signs. Ain't Moldova got money for that!

But seriously, I can agree that Moldova is pretty much poorly mapped in the first place, in terms of lots of things. There are almost no cobblestone roads whatsoever. ProMods can indeed make road bumps here and there, just the way they are in RusMap. Not to even speak about the Soviet flag I saw on a tank monument...
Rudi Raser wrote:
02 Sep 2017 10:16
i was a couple of times in Moldova, my wife is from there. yes it is there like that, no it is even more bad. that said last time my brother in law too, after i showed him ProMods Moldova.
the situation there it's like you're in the year ~1900.
Oh give me a break, Germany is no saint, you have shitty roads as well.

Also, to the OP, if you wish to see some Moldovan road examples, there you go:

Rudi Raser
In Memoriam
Donation rank:

02 Sep 2017 12:27

Barrett_killz wrote:
02 Sep 2017 12:08

Oh give me a break, Germany is no saint, you have shitty roads as well.

of course we have many bad streets too, never said something else. ;)
but i think you will agree that the basic is pretty different. :)
No Support via PM!

Barrett_killz

02 Sep 2017 12:45

Of course I will, I just don't like the part where people generalize everything about a country and look only at the bad parts.

Rudi Raser
In Memoriam
Donation rank:

02 Sep 2017 13:06

sorry, this is not my intention, rather a problem of my bad english. ;)

my wife comes from Dezghingea, and i mostly know only this area. and streets like we have in ProMods, would be a dream for my family there. :)
No Support via PM!

SquareCanine

02 Sep 2017 13:39

Fair enough, and I did clue in that my truck could handle it. Part of my annoyance is that I don't feel like the game handles bumps very well, but I also lack any first hand experience driving or riding in a big rig or anything like that, so I have naught but my imaginings as to what they actually ride like. They do seem to react very violently to small bumps in game though (I'm thinking of those steel plates this mod uses to cover potholes on some roads. They should be like half an inch thick, but if you hit them at speed it feels like your front wheels are hitting the bump stops).

Anyway, I guess the other part of my annoyance was that I didn't expect it. I mean, I know Moldova isn't swimming in money, but I wasn't expecting to drive through Russia :lol:

I can sympathise a bit though. My corner of Canada has a vicious freeze-thaw cycle in the spring that is absolutely brutal on our roads (largely because, to save money, we use about half the gravel bedding our roads need to survive our weather). Our part doesn't often get too out of hand because it has a fair tax base, but other parts of the province actually do have roads so awful that tourists are advised to rent SUV's, and motorcyclists wont use the roads at all (at least not at night). It's mostly potholes though, and a few collapsed culverts (which make inverted speed bumps). I don't think there are any washboard roads; at least none that are paved.

At the end of the day, if people are enjoying it I can't begrudge them their fun. Maybe I'll come back to Moldova some day, preferably with a light trailer carrying something pretty sturdy. On the upside, it's perfect practice for when someone builds ice roads for ATS :D

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information