[Central] Paid download questions

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Proxximaa

20 Aug 2018 18:48

Thats why i said you could use different Hosters at the same time.

If you offer for example 4 different downloads on 4 different sites the bandwidth will split.
If one site limits the download rate the user can switch to another Hosting site.

Also another thing is the Trailer and Company Pack its 78mb you cant tell me that any hoster is limiting a 78mb download even if there are 1000 people downloading it. (you could also put the pack into the normal download) No sense to pay 50 cents for 78mb, but 1$ for 1.6gb.

//Edit Multiple Developers, Admins and Mods could upload the mod to Mega so it will split again, if you implement all the links. And if you click on the link the user will get a random mega link from the, for example, 20 different uploaders.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

20 Aug 2018 18:52

The multi-part archive, which is available for FREE already, just behaves the same as a 1-part archive. And that's for free....

Download the multi-part archive as follows, and you won't even notice the 'slower' download speeds.

- Open ETS2, and DO NOT UPDATE it if an update is required for a new version of ProMods. Start your ProMods profile and start playing.
- ALT+Tab to the desktop whenever you want and start the download process, generate and download the DEF-file, and start the download of the first 2 parts.
- ALT+Tab back to ETS2 and continue playing.
- Every once in a while check back to your downloads using ALT+Tab. And if one has finished, start the next part. Do so until all parts are downloaded.
- Quit ETS2.
- Unzip part .001. And copy all received files to the mod folder.
- Start ETS2 and update to the required version.
- Open your modmanager and disable the old, and enable the new ProMods.
- Continue playing.

I don't really get your issue..... The paid download is fine as it is. And it's only $1,-... How is $1,- a problem???

Edit:
The idea you posted, just makes it A LOT MORE complicated for no good reason at all.....
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

matwor29
Donation rank:

20 Aug 2018 21:03

You can use alt+TAB to get back to the desktop while playing ???
And I was using the task manager all this time...

Vøytek
Developer

20 Aug 2018 21:30

Of course you can. How did you live without using it? Probably one of the most useful shortcuts :D (though it's stubborn in some games and won't work every time)
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

michaelmurfy
Donation rank:

20 Aug 2018 21:39

Proxximaa wrote:
20 Aug 2018 18:48
Thats why i said you could use different Hosters at the same time.

If you offer for example 4 different downloads on 4 different sites the bandwidth will split.
If one site limits the download rate the user can switch to another Hosting site.

Also another thing is the Trailer and Company Pack its 78mb you cant tell me that any hoster is limiting a 78mb download even if there are 1000 people downloading it. (you could also put the pack into the normal download) No sense to pay 50 cents for 78mb, but 1$ for 1.6gb.

//Edit Multiple Developers, Admins and Mods could upload the mod to Mega so it will split again, if you implement all the links. And if you click on the link the user will get a random mega link from the, for example, 20 different uploaders.
Right... We've heard this all before and lets go into the reasons why this does not work.

1) We've got a solution that can almost max out my Gigabit internet and it only costs $1 (or $1.50 total for both downloads).
2) ANY "free" file sharing solution would suspend our links within a matter of minutes due to the massive amount of bandwidth required during a release. I don't want to have to babysit this, I want a solution that "just works" so I can work on other projects or my full-time job outside of ProMods. The current solution mostly achieves this. We almost did 40tb of file transfer from our free servers (yes, plural) alone in 24hrs on our last release. We also need something that won't just break the download due to either bogus DCMA takedowns or them just disabling the links.
3) Torrents are not the answer. For starters, we can't track this. So, don't even go through and mention that.

Anything you say we've heard before. This project has grown well outside of the scale of using any file host (Mega etc) and we started experiencing issues when we used such things in the past. What you've mentioned sounds like an absolute management nightmare and both myself, and the devs do not want to handle such a thing - it is a plain stupid idea.

Honestly, I have no better way of saying this. It is only $1 and that money pays for a fast download for you. If you don't like this then feel free to download it for free at a max of 400kb/s and 2 download threads - either way, you're able to either download the mod for free or have it quickly and support the hard work that has gone into ProMods.

I use both Cloudflare caching and a cluster of servers to handle our free download links. We've tried different things to tune this to ensure the most people can successfully download the mod (for free) but there is always going to be people who wreck this for everyone else by attempting to grab the mod as fast as possible putting unnecessary load on our servers, complain or even attempt to attack our infrastructure to bring these links down all together. I am sure there will be much more frustration if we were to implement your idea and people get sent to removed links. We get less complaints now than we used to when Zippyshare was used in the past.

Not happening... Back on topic and move on.
Promods Server Administrator

mickemacken

21 Aug 2018 22:37

Hi! I'm on Mac and have a question about Trailer and company pack. I have downloaded promods 2.27 and I honestly love it! I didn't download the Trailer and company pack, but now I would like to do that. Do I download and install it in the exact same way as with promods? Lets say I choose the paid download link. I put the def file in the mods folder. Then unpack the downloaded "Trailer and company pack" file in "the unarchiver" and put it in the mods folder as well.

Is this a correct way of download and installing it as I already have installed Promods a while ago?

realmadrid1902

21 Aug 2018 23:43

Yes
ProMods user since: 2.15.
PC specs: I don't like to say them.
Langauges: a bit FR Image , EN Image and AR. Busy with School!

ScuL
Founder

21 Aug 2018 23:56

Yes but with the TCP you will need to choose which def file you use. Stand-alone or replacement.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

owainrhys941
Donation rank:

23 Aug 2018 14:49

I paid and downloaded promods, but on my pc only 3 files are showing, promods-def-v227.scs promods-v227.7z promods-tcp-v117.7z which are all showing as micosoft word doc and are all in my mod part of the ets2 folder. When I open ets2 only the def mod shows and then the game cashes straight away. Is there anyway to solve this?

Josh0

23 Aug 2018 15:46

@owainrhys941, you must extract the mod files from the .7z archives. Take at look at this tutorial: [TUTORIAL] How To Install & Update ProMods [2.27]. Note: the tutorial is meant for the free download, you can start at step 8 since you have the paid download version(s).

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information