[Central] Free download questions

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

31 Mar 2015 00:08

n4gix.bill.leaming wrote:Multi-part .zip and .rar files have been around for close to twenty years now, one would think folks would be used to them now... ;)
Well, to be fair, back when the parts were on individual diskettes, it was more obvious you had to start with part 1. :lol:
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

31 Mar 2015 00:10

Jan Verschueren wrote:
n4gix.bill.leaming wrote:Multi-part .zip and .rar files have been around for close to twenty years now, one would think folks would be used to them now... ;)
Well, to be fair, back when the parts were on individual diskettes, it was more obvious you had to start with part 1. :lol:
Well, there is that I suppose... :lol:
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

31 Mar 2015 00:14

I would think that the folks with the problems have been around for a shorter time than those RARs ;)

Gazer75
Donation rank:

31 Mar 2015 00:15

I think from reading the entire thread that many lack basic file management knowledge. Met many with a computer that do not understand how files are structured in folders and that they can have different functions.
Many only know what they see and use, like icons on the desktop. And how to open documents in programs like Word.

Started with archives in the 90s using pkzip in MS-DOS. Had to type the full name of program, zip file, destination folder and add in the switches to make it work :)
Last edited by Gazer75 on 31 Mar 2015 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

31 Mar 2015 00:22

As for many things you can probably blame Apple for it. Wasn't it them that started this 'App' obsession? Treating everything like a black box leads to dumb users making dumb decisions that may have real (as in IRL) bad consequences.

The current situation when software is smarter than people using it is a ticking time bomb. I've seen an ad somewhere saying 'smarter apps make smarter people.' The marketing aside, they got it totally backwards.

P. S. I still do what you described on linux. The reason is simple: there are an infinite amount of ways you can combine a finite set of tools to achieve any task you might be facing with. And more often than not, 'there is no App for that'

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

31 Mar 2015 01:25

Gazer75 wrote:I think from reading the entire thread that many lack basic file management knowledge. Met many with a computer that do not understand how files are structured in folders and that they can have different functions
Think how much more difficult it would be had the industry not renamed "directories and sub-directories" to "folders and sub-folders..."

Apparently "they" thought the new names would allow folks to more easily get the similie of a file cabinet's drawers and file folders. Obviously, that strategy has failed miserably.

Back in the Dark Ages when I was a professor of Computer Science at the University of Florida, my students were always dumbfounded when they learned that I would not even let them near the computer (yes, singular computer) for the entire first semester of my "Intro to CS" class. Instead, I forced them to work with pencil and paper forms called flow charts.

When inevitably someone would ask why, my reply was always the same:

"If you cannot solve any problem with nothing more than a pencil, paper and your brain, just how do you expect to tell a computer how to solve the problem?"

By the end of the semester though, all of my students were ACES at designing elegant, concise and logical solutions! 8-)

When they had me for COBOL and/or Fortran IV the next semester, they truly appreciated my insistence on learning the fundamentals of concise logic so throughly.
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

31 Mar 2015 15:39

Jan Verschueren wrote:
I always start with part 1 and it always works for me. ;)
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

Gregontheroad
Donation rank:

08 Nov 2015 11:23

Bonjour
J'ai un problème en téléchargeant le mod. Je n'ai pas le fichier : "promods-def-v198.scs" alors que je suis éxactement le tutoriel. J'ai éssayé de retélécharger plusieurs fois mais rien a faire.

Merci.

Translation:

Hello I have a problem downloading the mod. I do not have the file: "promods-def-v198.scs" while I am exactly the tutorial. I have to re-download say several times but nothing was fair.

Thank you.
Last edited by ETS2-User on 08 Nov 2015 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added English translation.

ETS2-User
Developer

08 Nov 2015 12:24

mbman212 wrote:[/color]You forgot to click the link which directs you to the def-file generation page. Or on the other hand, try download it from Chrome or Firefox. Other browsers may have some issues.

Also, use English in the main forums, please.
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

Gregontheroad
Donation rank:

08 Nov 2015 16:45

Thanks ;)
Last edited by LoaderSaints on 08 Nov 2015 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the whole post right above yours!

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information