Södertälje Suggestion

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Rigge1988

08 Aug 2013 20:59

Since I've been ploughing snow in and around hovsjö, Södertälje, I found it quite dissapointing. (What I mean is that i've seen the roads around the manufacturing plant ALOT over 3 years)
Ok, I won't say you should make every detail but if you miss important details you won't get the right feeling. And I hope you agree!

So here's my suggestion how you should go on with Södertälje.

Note that it's simplified by all means however most of the important details are there in the pictre I made.
I would love to add details myself but I refuse to use and pay for zModeler3.

And while at it. Stockholm needs some major overhaul. Not a single meter reminds me of being in Stockholm except the roadsigns.
However Im yet to get an idea printed of what Stockholm should look like.

ScuL
Founder

08 Aug 2013 23:02

I agree that the biggest part I miss in Stockholm is the water, but we need to add some more elevation to get it right as well (that and landmarks)

The requests for Södertälje are hard.
First of all: lack of space. (It is already taking up a part of the map the size of Dalarna incl the demo centre)
2nd, roundabouts of the highway are not possible that easily. Also, those roads in dual carriageway is not possible because of space.

Thanks for the feedback though.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Rigge1988

08 Aug 2013 23:31

Following the "red road" you can see it's going around the manufacturing plant (this is a quite important part). Which is alot more correct than the 5? 6? roundabouts that are there now.
The little knowledge I have about the mapeditor I don't believe that the space is an issue. Well, unless you want to add nyköping or strängnäs ofc.
Im not sure about the highway going up over the double roundabout. That might need a new prefab.

I thought I would make my supersketch ontop of the ingame-map to keep things simple and know what space I had to "play" with.
And ofc, I know that the highway entrance/exit prefabs take up some space but I believe it will fit.
Btw, on my sketch, the very right gas station, just south of it there's a hotel.

The extra "attached" image of the roundabout was only to show the actual roundabout not the entrance/exit ;)

ScuL
Founder

08 Aug 2013 23:38

When I have some time I'll place a screenshot from the map-editor so you can see yourself :)
Not only do you need to think of the space of road but the landscape behind it :)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Gazer75
Donation rank:

09 Aug 2013 07:17

I don't think people realize how little space there is to work with...

Rigge1988

09 Aug 2013 11:25

As I see it, you don't need so much background landscape following everything that is painted in red south of the blue E20 (sketch). Where I painted that wiggly green stuff you could put a dense forest, not being able to see further than maybe 10-15m on each side of the road. Mainly because there is mostly forest around that area.

Like I said, I have been trying stuff in the editor. Was personally working on a sweden map until I realized I needed zModeler to make roadsigns and what not so I scratched the whole project. So Im quite sure that this is all possible. If there's will there's a way.

And being on the subject of roadside activities, as of now, driving E4 south feels totally like going north. It's actually more farmingland when going south, should I say, only farmingland going south? With a short patch of forest every now and then. And Im not sure there's a 2+1 road anywhere between malmö-stockholm. But I havn't been that far down for years. Speaking of which, Skåne is pretty flat with alot of farms. That should be a space issue to get that realistic.
And those highways where you got a safezone in the middle should be around 20m or sometimes up to 30-40. As it's now it feels more like 10...

ScuL
Founder

09 Aug 2013 11:39

This is an overhead view.
ets2_00198.jpg
ets2_00198.jpg (176.16 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
Where do you suggest putting 2-lane roads? :D
Rigge1988 wrote:As I see it, you don't need so much background landscape following everything that is painted in red south of the blue E20 (sketch). Where I painted that wiggly green stuff you could put a dense forest, not being able to see further than maybe 10-15m on each side of the road. Mainly because there is mostly forest around that area.
If you put another off-ramp to the left it would be pretty much in Eskilstuna because of all the space the Demo Centre is using.
Rigge1988 wrote: And being on the subject of roadside activities, as of now, driving E4 south feels totally like going north. It's actually more farmingland when going south, should I say, only farmingland going south? With a short patch of forest every now and then. And Im not sure there's a 2+1 road anywhere between malmö-stockholm. But I havn't been that far down for years. Speaking of which, Skåne is pretty flat with alot of farms. That should be a space issue to get that realistic.
And those highways where you got a safezone in the middle should be around 20m or sometimes up to 30-40. As it's now it feels more like 10...
I have driven up and down Sweden many many times and there are still stretches of the E4 that are 2-1.. I think somewhere between Örkelljunga and Markaryd or close to there. It is being converted to 2x2 though.
We put vast stretches of farming land near Linköping and Norrköping but would like to add more there, maybe the Saab models from Linköping. Not sure yet whether the cities will be added.
As for the bit towards Stockholm. From Nkpg to Sthlm it's very foresty, especially from Nyköping onwards and near Trosa there is a lot of forest and very little fields and this doesn't stop until you hit Södertälje. I know this cause I travelled Skavsta-Stockholm a lot.

I have thought about more farming landscapes if we were to extend the E22 to Karlskrona and on to Kalmar.

Rigge1988

09 Aug 2013 12:17

I see that I made a mistake. By 2 lane roads I meant 1+1... So that's on me.
Are you planning to add eskilstuna? If not, I see no problems moving demo center a tad bit west and that would make plenty of room for my idea about the roads around the manufacturing plant.

Use this streetview to revisit sweden for a while and rethink E4 south https://maps.google.se/?ll=59.090765,17 ... 14,,0,3.57

While this is E4 just north of tierp https://maps.google.se/?ll=60.360583,17 ... 95,,0,5.79

This make me state that, I can't say Im driving in Sweden, could be because Im swedish. But as the feeling is now, it could as well be somewhere deep in russia. That's why I want to give you ideas how it could be to get the feeling somewhat closer. I will give my thoughts and when I feel Im done its up to you. I can't force you to change stuff. Just state that "this is totally off" and then you process the information as you want.

EnVi Sweden Rules

09 Aug 2013 12:24

the 2 planes in Linköping are an nice suggestion, +1

Rigge1988

09 Aug 2013 14:19

Also, if you find space you could add R73 going from stockholm to nynäshamn, and a ferry connection to gotland, if you have plans to do something on gotland. But that could also, ofc, be achieved by adding oskarshamn if you're making E22 down to kalmar.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information