Question about Swedish road markings

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Nectaria Coutayar
Donation rank:

27 Sep 2017 15:32

A question about traffic laws. What do the small markings on the sides mean? Is it for bicycles or am I supposed to go over to that lane as slow traffic? Anyone who knows? This is from Trondheim to Sündsvall but it was already in Sweden iirc.
lvl 209 - 912000km - Scania R730 - 61% map coverage

Nathan_A_RF
Donation rank:

27 Sep 2017 15:48

I believe that just marks the edge of the road, but this is a very wide road. We have solid edge lines here in the UK instead of dashed ones.
Grab the insecticide, I'm clearing bugs ~ Nathan_A_RF - Moderator, Beta Tester & Bug Fixer
Florence + The Machine / Fox Stevenson

Noah_Lukas

27 Sep 2017 16:57

I heard it was supposed to be for the bicycles :D
Developer for Germany and France
Regional Coordinator for the Central Region

Smonocco
Donation rank:

27 Sep 2017 17:50

If it's similar to what we have here (in Ireland), it allows for slower moving traffic to pull over so that other vehicles can pass. It's quite common here.

KrysEmlyn
Add-on Developer
Donation rank:

27 Sep 2017 18:08

I was wondering why the road was so wide in places up there in northern Sweden.
The reasons provided make more sense (space for slower vehicles to move out of the way).

vukmania

27 Sep 2017 18:26

I have seen alot of them IRL in northen sweden, but I have honestly no good explaination till what it is.
Looking it up on wikipedia, it seems that the lines could indicate on a reserved lane for some other type of veicles. In urban areas, like Gothenburg it's reserved for the autobus.

Though, I know there are alot of wide roads near old military areas, mainly for mobility reasons, and on some parts it also serves as landingstrips for military planes(in case of a war).

In this case, I belive that it can be something of a combination of them, but probably the first one, as KrysEmlyn pointed out.

Peterson

27 Sep 2017 18:30

It's a shoulder lane. If you break down, you can safely park there. It's a standard here in Slovakia, it's quite rare to see a road without a shoulder lane. It's forbidden to drive there, it's only for emergency (and mopeds).
Peterson logistics - We think, you pay, it's that simple.

ImageImage
My WoT profile.

esa91

01 Oct 2017 19:45

In Sweden those wide areas in motorways (and roads where you can go over 80km/h) are usually ment for broken down wehicles, and also if you go slower and you have ppl behind you, you can move a bit over, and let ppl easier to pass you without you stopping out. Those larger sidelines are also ment for emergency/roadofficers vehicles when theres an accident. (now days, in sweden they are trying to teach the germanway that ppl would move to the sides so emercency vehicles can go center of the road)
- Here in Finland we dont have those, and in Norway they are pretty rare. But i did have to stop and ask this one from Swedish cops and trafficverget officers.

Peterson

01 Oct 2017 21:25

Basically, if your car breaks down, or you simply have to change a tyre, you can safely stop there, since that lane is wide enough to swallow your car whole, so you won't obstruct the traffic.

It might also be a standard here simply because these two lane roads are common and main arteries, we don't have that many highways as in other countries. Any obstruction is a traffic flow nightmare. Of course, there are some parts where the road is narrow, but the road there is pretty old too. Anyways, they're there, they're good, they're safe. I can't imagine breaking down on the D1 three lane temp road, one woman got ran over by a truck there... they had to scrape her from the road.
Peterson logistics - We think, you pay, it's that simple.

ImageImage
My WoT profile.

LegendMeadow
Donation rank:

02 Oct 2017 11:19

vukmania wrote:
27 Sep 2017 18:26
I have seen alot of them IRL in northen sweden, but I have honestly no good explaination till what it is.
Looking it up on wikipedia, it seems that the lines could indicate on a reserved lane for some other type of veicles. In urban areas, like Gothenburg it's reserved for the autobus.

Though, I know there are alot of wide roads near old military areas, mainly for mobility reasons, and on some parts it also serves as landingstrips for military planes(in case of a war).

In this case, I belive that it can be something of a combination of them, but probably the first one, as KrysEmlyn pointed out.
I live up here in northern norway. I love driving in Sweden, the roads are so wide, especially on the E10.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information