ProMods Performance in VR

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Celestiale

06 Mar 2018 17:54

I just recently got into ETS2, mainly because of the good advertising and the beautiful pictures over at Racedepartment. Now it didn't take me long to figure out that ProMods is the way to go.
I am playing with the Rift exclusively, and before installing ProMods i had a smooth framerate everywhere.
Now i installed it, watched how Munich and the surroundings were transformed, and there is surely no going back from here. There is one issue though - the framerate really went down from Vanilla. In VR this is quite an issue, because as most people now, dropping frames cause nausea.
So my question as follows: How can i get better performance (comparable to Vanilla maxed out) with ProMods? Reducing the viewing distance is a no for me, i hate popping landscape, absolute immersion killer. What other settings could i change to get better performance, but not to lose the beautiful ProMods conversion assets/graphics?
My Rig is pretty much top notch, I7 8700K, Gtx 1080

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

06 Mar 2018 18:05

Lower the scaling setting. Lower the quality of the mirrors also improves the smoothness of the game.

Also remember, VR is still in beta I believe. And mods especially aren't yet optimized for it.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Celestiale

06 Mar 2018 18:33

<Removed unnecessary quote>

Tested it with most settings on low + no supersampling and with most settings on high/ultra and Oculus supersampling 1.5 (which means more then double the pixel count) and it didn't change a dime regarding performance. It seems the graphics don't matter, the framedrops are coming from something else. Now it would be interesting if anybody knpws what this "something else" is and if you can turn it down/off...maybe object count?
Last edited by Volleybal4life on 06 Mar 2018 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. https://www.promods.net/app.php/rules#rule-3k

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

06 Mar 2018 20:05

The drop in framerate may be due to your PC not being able to handle the quality ProMods brings. Especially not in VR.

Also remember, VR is still in beta I believe. And mods especially aren't yet optimized for it.

Edit:
This may come in hand too. Found it using good old Google: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =941488807
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

07 Mar 2018 13:55

The issue is probably Drawcalls*. In a number of places in ProMods we're pushing DirectX 9 to the limit of what it can efficiently do.

Munich is an example of such a place. Others include Hamburg, Barcelona and Vienna.

ETS2's assets and tools have only recently become optimised in an effort to reduce Drawcalls. Helsinki was poured over about six months ago, taking advantage of new engine functionality to reduce Drawcalls. Most custom models are made with no concern regarding Drawcalls.

About all that you can do is lower the Draw Distance and turn off Shadows. This will lower the Drawcall count and improve performance.

Until a DX11/DX12/Vulkan renderer is released (All of which have higher Drawcall ceilings; OpenGL is somehow worse than DX9), I would say to not use ProMods with VR at all. Limitations in the renderer mean that it's near-impossible to achieve the levels of performance needed for comfortable VR play in ProMods on any computer past, present, or future.

As for the base map, stick to Scandinavia, France and Italy. They're the most up to date areas and perform the most evenly.

*A Drawcall is when a texture is called to be mapped onto an object. This also includes things like Normal Maps, Luminance Maps, Specular Maps, etc. For some bizzare reason, all the GPU vendors offload this to the CPU and there is a hard limit to the number that can be done quickly. IIRC DirectX 9's is somewhere around 4000 total.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information