ETS2 about to lose mods

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
HixoPL
Developer

29 Jun 2018 21:35

SCS would have to get licenses for all real stuff we use in our map. They'll have to take down every mod which has content they don't have license for.
Poland developer

Åland is not cancelled

erkinalp

29 Jun 2018 21:41

SCS would have to get licenses for all real stuff we use in our map.
Most, but not all:Panorama copyright is France-specific. 3D model may have issues in France and Germany. Road signs are legally prescribed items, hence not eligible for copyright in most jurisdictions.
--
Then only two options remain: Disabling modding or removing bundled content (you do not have responsibility in this case).

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

29 Jun 2018 21:45

This won't help; you cannot add a fully legal mod to the game if SCS blocks the whole modding mechanism altogether, undiscriminatory. This is the whole crux of the problem, because at least one intepretation of the proposed laws doesn't make us, but SCS responsible for checking mods for violations. Since they neither have the money, time or staff to do this for hundreds and hundreds of mods, they have no other option than to close it. At least, that's one of the intepretations. I've read the proposal itself (from the original EU source) and the language is rather vague, so it's open for intrepetation. All this overly juridical language...

"Darnit, Jim! I'm an engineer, not a lawyer!" :lol:
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

erkinalp

29 Jun 2018 21:49

DLCs use the same add-on mechanism. Only difference is signature. A formally approved ProMods would have no difference to game(from a technical standpoint).
The other option, SCS removing all bundled content and doing away with UGC only (which will not be distributed together and which will not be directly derived apart from defined interface points) is unexpected.
Last edited by erkinalp on 29 Jun 2018 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

29 Jun 2018 21:53

Such an approval system is not in place yet and it's unsure if this will ever happen.
At the same time, it's also unsure if this is necessary or if the law even passes in this form or at all. The uncertainty is what's the most frustrating thing about this right now...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

ScuL
Founder

30 Jun 2018 08:13

In any case if there would be any effect on the current situation I would be having a discussion with SCS (Pavel) with it.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Nissantruck

01 Jul 2018 17:33

The people in Eu commission makes all kinds of strange ideas for many things,that are not good at all and it feels to me and other people too,that the people who makes different laws don't even know anything or little about the things that they make laws for.So that can be the case with this crazy copyrite law idea too.It just feels crazy,because people who can make mods for games like the Ets2 usually will make them as a hobby and the company who owns the name that it is in the mod should be happy,because they can get free advertising for the brand that they own.
So i do hope,that this law will change before they make it as a new law in the Eu or not make a new law of it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ_5lE ... IZu7IkSXYw
Senior Beta-Tester and translator for the Finnish language and
the Local language Moderator for the Finnish language in Discord.

erkinalp

01 Jul 2018 17:50

Eu commission makes all kinds of strange ideas for many things
Das Vierte Reich reads your messages.

Nissantruck

02 Jul 2018 10:30

Well i guess,that the people in the Eu could do that if they wish to do that,but i dont think that they will read them and i am not the only person who thinks like i do.
Last edited by Volleybal4life on 02 Jul 2018 11:15, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the post directly above yours

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ_5lE ... IZu7IkSXYw
Senior Beta-Tester and translator for the Finnish language and
the Local language Moderator for the Finnish language in Discord.

PitbullShadow

02 Jul 2018 13:37

We look at it as free advertising for their brand, they see loss of income in a way or even "abuse" of their brand.
No clue what the big ones in the EU are thinking but I do know they never asked the people living in Europe for their opinion about it or to give in a vote about it.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information