Why asking to be a beta-tester is POINTLESS

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Omicron
Developer

29 Aug 2018 13:04

Over the past few weeks, I've seen several people asking, "Can I be a beta tester?", "How to become a beta tester?", etc. Let me tell you, by asking this question, you have automatically decreased your chances of becoming one. Here's why.
  • These questions do not only annoy moderators, developers and other beta-testers, but waste their time in answering such questions when they could be answering posts reporting bugs or something else helpful.
  • The yellows are not some random test-team, they are a well chosen team. They earned their status.
Volleybal4life

However moderators, developers and beta testers, not to mention founders,
...may forget the question.
Volleybal4life

• The most important out of them all: you cannot become one just to try out the map before it's officially released. What use are you then, trucking around in new countries and not helping the ProMods team in any way? As famously said, it's ready when it's ready. Be patient.

If you do want to become a "yellow", simply follow these steps:
- One can not become a beta-tester by asking.
- One needs to show good/helpful behavior on the forum.
- One needs to have knowledge of the game, and some knowledge in modding (what can be done, and what can not).
- One needs to stand out in the crowd on the forum.
- One needs to be noticed by the team (not by asking though)
- And mostly, pure luck.

Volleybal4life

Also:
...begin by reporting bugs in the bug reports forum. Following proper procedure on doing so is quite important as you will see if you do get selected. Include all the details required in the how to report a bug post is a good start, make sure to include details of the bug and how it is affecting the game if necessary

Obviously, you must also communicate with the community a measure on how well you can get along with others and respect, and work with them is an essential skill. Having new ideas and some idea of basic functions of the game and the editor so you can suggest a quick fix or something more elaborate can help you "stand out."
Callipso

Good luck to all future beta-testers. ;)
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

Omicron
Developer

29 Aug 2018 13:06

SIDENOTE:
If this is in the wrong category, please move it!

I posted this in the hope that it will become a "sticky" (not asking for it to be) so people will stop asking this question, just like with "why do I need all map DLC's?" when a response became a sticky.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2018 13:52

Omicron wrote:
SIDENOTE:
If this is in the wrong category, please move it!

It's fine here. I like it.
Omicron wrote:
I posted this in the hope that it will become a "sticky" (not asking for it to be) so people will stop asking this question, just like with "why do I need all map DLC's?" when a response became a sticky.
Uhu... I see what you did there... :ugeek:

Added some glue.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information