Truckers code of conduct

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
MOOSE 6733
Donation rank:

13 Dec 2014 20:17

As a 'Real' HGV Driver, here in the UK; it is common practise when overtaking another HGV to give a 'Flash' of your headlights to indicate to the overtaking vehicle that it has safely passed you, and that it is clear for them to pull back in to the 'nearside' lane of traffic. The same applies of course if 'you' overtake another HGV, they in turn may well 'Flash you in' as a matter of courtesy!
Is this something that could be built in to ETS2; it would add yet another 'realistic' dimension to the game? :)
If It Isn't Broken, Don't Try To Fix It! :D

ScuL
Founder

14 Dec 2014 00:06

It's a cultural interpretation. In most Western European countries outside of the British Isles, flashing your lights means "get out of my way"
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Xtry_online
Donation rank:

14 Dec 2014 01:07

lol :p.
Sorry for my poor English. It is not my native language.

Add me on Steam and PSN: Xtry_online

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

14 Dec 2014 02:02

ScuL wrote:It's a cultural interpretation. In most Western European countries outside of the British Isles, flashing your lights means "get out of my way"
I have to disagree. From my experience and watching vlogs on YT, I would say it's still quite a common practise across Europe. Notable exceptions are Italy where drivers will flash you to say "stay there!" when you're indicating to overtake and Greece.

Whether it's possible to implement such behaviours (i.e. flashing you in and saying thank you with the indicators) in game, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's beyond the modder's reach.
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

MOOSE 6733
Donation rank:

14 Dec 2014 10:35

Thanks Jan; indeed from my own experience it is still widely used amongst Professional Truck Drivers in both UK and Europe, even though it's an 'unofficial' practise it does happen. Of course there are exceptions; but it would be a nice feature to include, if it was technically possible to do.
Saying 'thanks' with your indicators isn't too difficult to do now, especially if you have a game wheel; just a quick flick left/right/left or a blink of your hazard lights, also gets used as a thank you!

(It all stems from the days when people were patient and friendly towards other motorists on the road, and had time and respect for each other; unlike the 'race track' it has become today!)

Keep On Truckin' :)
If It Isn't Broken, Don't Try To Fix It! :D

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

15 Dec 2014 17:55

This form of courtesy is quite common here in the United States, although most of the time it is used to tell the overtaking driver that they have clearance enough to merge right again! 8-)
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

cashtime2013
Developer
Donation rank:

15 Dec 2014 18:05

MOOSE 6733 wrote:Saying 'thanks' with your indicators
Interesting.......... I'm not a 'real' trucker, but that's something I've always done in ETS2 (using hazards), especially when someone slows to let you out of, say, a gas station. Back in the days of UKTS, oncoming traffic would flash you at night if you had full beam on, and blast their horn if you 'cut them up' :o :oops:
British Isles Developer

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, Intel i5 quad-core CPU, nvidia Geforce GTX 1650, ASUS VZ249HE 24" monitor, 750watt PSU, ETS2 & ATS 64bit

Rocar 512E

15 Dec 2014 18:20

cashtime2013 wrote:oncoming traffic would flash you at night if you had full beam on
They do this to me, i like using full beam

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

16 Dec 2014 03:26

cashtime2013 wrote:
MOOSE 6733 wrote:Saying 'thanks' with your indicators
Interesting.......... I'm not a 'real' trucker, but that's something I've always done in ETS2 (using hazards), especially when someone slows to let you out of, say, a gas station.
Using your hazards is lazy and "non-European" (US truckers use hazards), to do it properly you indicate right-left-right in the UK and left-right-left on the continent. And, no, I'm not a 'real' trucker either, but I do tow a caravan on occasion, so I have interacted with them and they do still seem to appreciate and extend the courtesy.
cashtime2013 wrote:Back in the days of UKTS, oncoming traffic would flash you at night if you had full beam on, and blast their horn if you 'cut them up' :o :oops:
I don't drive a lot at night in the game (as it's stupidly difficult to spot the AI at night, seriously, this game gets too dark), but it appears to me the AI still "complain" about using your high beams. Off course nothing brings out the AI at night like using your high beams (does anyone else get this impression?). They're also quick on the horn if you happen to be blocking them in. Even if one is lying upside down, half sunk into the road because one hasn't updated one's physics mod yet and there's no way in hell one's going to be able to get of the way. :mrgreen:
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

LoaderSaints

16 Dec 2014 09:40

In Finland the practice is (with all cars not just trucks) to flash your lights if you are going to overtake. You do that to "ask permission" from the driver who you are going to overtake. The other driver should signal you with his or her turning signals (indicators or what ever you want to call them). If the driver signals to the right you can overtake but if he or she signals left then it is not safe. This is what we are taught in driving school as the "proper way of overtaking". Though nobody ever does that, we just overtake without asking. :lol:

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information