Netherlands suggestions

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Superdavecan

07 Sep 2013 17:07

Hi, although as far as I know the Netherlands and Belgium are not yet in the works for this mod, since I posted some ideas in the Belgium suggestions thread, I decided to create a thread for Netherlands suggestions. Not my home country, but it is the country I live in.

I can only think of one thing that is absolutely appalling about the SCS base map in the Netherlands... the motorway junctions in both Amsterdam and Rotterdam desperately need to be re-worked! If there's one thing that you fix in the Netherlands, please, please get rid of the level junctions on A-roads! These are the culprits that I can remember off the top of my head:
Amsterdam: A10 ring should be a motorway and not a 50 km/h road with at-grade junctions. Similarly the junction between the A10 and A4 should be a motorway junction. Think of what you already did with Hamburg, Germany... surely it would be possible to do something similar with Amsterdam?
Rotterdam: A4/A15/A16 junction also should be a motorway junction, and entrances into the city should be through proper exits rather than at-grade junctions.
A9 to IJmuiden: the entrances to IJmuiden from the A9 are at-grade junctions; they should be motorway junctions since the A9 is a motorway.

I saw on another thread that new signs for the Netherlands are in the works with the correct font... great to see :D SCS didn't choose the right one unfortunately.

I also saw that Nico expressed interest in creating his hometown of Apeldoorn near the end. Sounds good, although I'd be tempted to go for Utrecht since it really is an economic hub here (although it suffers from the same problem as Antwerp, in that it's probably too close to Amsterdam to make it fit). Perhaps Eindhoven could be a good alternative? It's located far enough away from other cities. Or maybe they could both fit... if Utrecht was made, the A2 could be made from the A10, through Utrecht and Eindhoven, all the way down to Liège! Perhaps the A12/A20 could be used to connect Rotterdam and Utrecht too, thereby completing the triangle :)

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2013 17:43

Mandelsoft has been very busy and reworked Rotterdam and Amsterdam completely (A10 100km/h road etc.)

In the future I was thinking of redoing the Ruhrgebiet in Germany which would include creating the A3 the way it's supposed to be (So in NL it can be the A12 till The Hague, sadly no space for The Hague, still A12 will come one day)

For adding another city I thought that Apeldoorn was not a very stupid idea. A1/A50 motorway junction is already there (not the proper one but still, small edit and it works ;) ) I looked at the space and it's doable. Than I could create the A50 and make the A28 (no idea what A that would be tbh) up to Groningen.

Alot of whishes but first I need to do Ireland and the Baltics + some Scandinavia extension. And I still need to go to school which is now just taking soooo much of my time :(
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

07 Sep 2013 22:13

Superdavecan wrote: Amsterdam: A10 ring should be a motorway and not a 50 km/h road with at-grade junctions. Similarly the junction between the A10 and A4 should be a motorway junction. Think of what you already did with Hamburg, Germany... surely it would be possible to do something similar with Amsterdam?
Well, I tried to change things in Amsterdam and there's very, very little space to work with. I left one intersection unchanged (A10-west intersection just before the tunnel), one intersection is removed altogether and one of the intersections, the A10xA4 (De Nieuwe Meer) is replaced by the smallest grade-separated interchange I could find so it would fit (and it still fits barely):

So yes, I've tried to deal with tis...
Superdavecan wrote: Rotterdam: A4/A15/A16 junction also should be a motorway junction, and entrances into the city should be through proper exits rather than at-grade junctions.
Well, you're in for a treat then:

Got rid of the eyesore in Rotterdam. This is much more motorway worthy...
Superdavecan wrote: A9 to IJmuiden: the entrances to IJmuiden from the A9 are at-grade junctions; they should be motorway junctions since the A9 is a motorway.
It's on my to-do list of re-constructions.
Superdavecan wrote: I saw on another thread that new signs for the Netherlands are in the works with the correct font... great to see :D SCS didn't choose the right one unfortunately.
Mine again ;) But I have to revisit this prints because they are a tad too large so parts of the printing falls outside bounds. I'm a roadgeek, and I notice these things and I want to correct them. And whilst I'm at it, I also redesigned the signage system altogether!

Superdavecan wrote: I also saw that Nico expressed interest in creating his hometown of Apeldoorn near the end. Sounds good, although I'd be tempted to go for Utrecht since it really is an economic hub here (although it suffers from the same problem as Antwerp, in that it's probably too close to Amsterdam to make it fit). Perhaps Eindhoven could be a good alternative? It's located far enough away from other cities. Or maybe they could both fit... if Utrecht was made, the A2 could be made from the A10, through Utrecht and Eindhoven, all the way down to Liège! Perhaps the A12/A20 could be used to connect Rotterdam and Utrecht too, thereby completing the triangle :)
I'd go for either Eindhoven or Arnhem/Nijmegen. Arnhem could offer a corridor to Germany and it can make a logical transition between the A50 and A73.

Another connection on the A10 would be unfeasable; the elbow room there is not enough. Although we could make a work-around by lengthening the A9 and make a faux-interchange with the A2, blocked in the direction of Amsterdam (since we can't connect it with the A10. But it could work, maybe...

Best,
MandelSoft
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Myquandro

08 Sep 2013 01:29

You could also make a work-aroud by using the route A1 - A27 to Utrecht instead of the A2 on this part as the A1 is already in place and there is enough room.
As for extra cities in The Netherland I would choose one of these: Utrecht (as it is the fourth city and Den Haag (The Hague) isn't possible), Eindhoven (It's an very important city and gives a good connection to Luik/Liège), Arnhem/Nijmegen (it's also an important city and it give a good connection to the Ruhrgebied) or Maastricht (but as this city is close to Luik/Liège ther might not be enough space for it).

Superdavecan

08 Sep 2013 12:53

Awesome work MandelSoft! :D I'm also a bit of a roadgeek so I always hope to see a reasonably realistic representation of different places on the map. ;) What you've done with Amsterdam and Rotterdam looks great, definitely better than what's on the base map. And I'm happy to know you're taking care of it... it's not always easy to tell if particular countries are being worked on, and if so, who is working on them.
MandelSoft wrote:
I'd go for either Eindhoven or Arnhem/Nijmegen. Arnhem could offer a corridor to Germany and it can make a logical transition between the A50 and A73.

Another connection on the A10 would be unfeasable; the elbow room there is not enough. Although we could make a work-around by lengthening the A9 and make a faux-interchange with the A2, blocked in the direction of Amsterdam (since we can't connect it with the A10. But it could work, maybe...
Arnhem is also a great idea, I think! Although Eindhoven might be the more economically important one... and then about the A2, that A9 workaround could work, perhaps we could (logically) explain that gap by putting up signs saying that the A2 is closed north of the interchange with the A9, detour via Schiphol. (in Dutch, of course).
Myquandro wrote:
You could also make a work-aroud by using the route A1 - A27 to Utrecht instead of the A2 on this part as the A1 is already in place and there is enough room.
As for extra cities in The Netherland I would choose one of these: Utrecht (as it is the fourth city and Den Haag (The Hague) isn't possible), Eindhoven (It's an very important city and gives a good connection to Luik/Liège), Arnhem/Nijmegen (it's also an important city and it give a good connection to the Ruhrgebied) or Maastricht (but as this city is close to Luik/Liège ther might not be enough space for it).
I like the idea of the A27 connection to Utrecht off the A1 too, and then it could link up with the A2 south to Eindhoven and north to the A9 just short of Amsterdam. To connect west to Rotterdam, of course it needs to be the A12, but perhaps it should become the A20 just before Rotterdam, where it could then join with the A16.
Nico wrote:
In the future I was thinking of redoing the Ruhrgebiet in Germany which would include creating the A3 the way it's supposed to be (So in NL it can be the A12 till The Hague, sadly no space for The Hague, still A12 will come one day)

For adding another city I thought that Apeldoorn was not a very stupid idea. A1/A50 motorway junction is already there (not the proper one but still, small edit and it works ;) ) I looked at the space and it's doable. Than I could create the A50 and make the A28 (no idea what A that would be tbh) up to Groningen.
I never said Apeldoorn was a stupid idea, mate ;) Just if it was me I would choose a larger city such as Utrecht, Eindhoven or Arnhem/Nijmegen. It is indeed the A28 up to Groningen too.

I also quite agree with the idea of re-doing the Ruhrgebiet across the border in Germany... completely unrealistic that Duisburg, Düsseldorf and Köln are connected with country roads! That was always my thought, long before ProMods even existed. You know what to do to make that area better though :D

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

08 Sep 2013 13:01

I never said Apeldoorn was a stupid idea, mate ;) Just if it was me I would choose a larger city such as Utrecht, Eindhoven or Arnhem/Nijmegen. It is indeed the A28 up to Groningen too.
True I said Apeldoorn might be stupid. Arnhem would be a cool idea (also for signs on the BAB3 saying Arnheim/Arnhem etc.

And btw just to be clear. Apeldoorn is bigger than Arnhem ;) sadly Nijmegen is bigger but they cheat with their students :P

It will still be a long time away when I will get busy there... Maybe Mandelsoft will do something there but I think atm he is busy making all kind of epic models :D :D
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

Vladzz-G
Developer

14 Sep 2013 16:41

But how about the A67 (Netherlands) / A11 (Belgium) / E34 road reediting? This road must be wide (2x2 rows).
Here is the A67 / E34 road near Eindhoven.
ETS2 HQ: Balvi (LV)
ETS2 truck license plate: NI-7211
ATS HQ: San Francisko (California)
ATS truck license plate: VP96851

Main developer of Baltic merge project
Main developer of Finland project

Superdavecan

14 Sep 2013 17:08

I think I see the answer on how to connect the A2 to Amsterdam, if the A2 eventually gets built! I was looking at MandelSoft's post in the mod tools and techniques sticky http://promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=160&start=40 ... and he showed us how he's made one of the access roads that he removed a blocked road. That one roughly corresponds to where the A2 would be. We already know that it's not possible to make a proper connection between the A2 and the A10 because there's no room to work with, but I can still see two options if the A2 eventually gets built:

1. Create the A2 coming up from Eindhoven/Utrecht, and create a false interchange with the A9 which forces you to go onto the A9 towards Schiphol. To explain this gap, there could be detour/diversion signs that could say something like "A2 afgesloten, omleiding via A9". And then to explain the blocked road, similar signs could be made which say that you have to use the A9 to reach the A2. Can always blame it on construction work... I certainly remember a few years ago when the A2 was being widened to 5 lanes in each direction... could easily take 2 hours to get from Amsterdam to Utrecht! So much better now that it's finished. :)

2. This would not be realistic but it would allow an easy connection to the future A2... I saw in the picture of the blocked road that past the traffic light where it's blocked, the road continues into a tunnel (which doesn't exist in real life). So since that tunnel doesn't really exist anyway... perhaps a tunnel could be built under the A10, to become the A2? Or to make it more true-to-life, perhaps that section of the A10 could be a bridge over the A2 (but without a connection). Or, if there's any space at all, perhaps it could be set up so that there is an exit from the A10 to the A2 and an entrance to the A10 from the A2, on the eastbound side only. So then it would not be possible to go west on the A10 from the A2, or to go north on the A2 from the A10 at all. (Of course, there probably isn't space to make any sort of connection. But the tunnel idea would allow an easy, if not entirely realistic, connection between Amsterdam and the future A2.)

Freddy Jimmink
Donation rank:

17 Sep 2013 10:26

Hello there,

i saw on several website's a restructed a-15/a-73 in the netherlands for download, i tried that out in your great map and it works perfectly.

also i saw here some parts of the a-67 and a-2

suggestion from me is make (if possible) the a- 50 from groningen to the a-15/a-325 and put nijmegen on the map at the cross-over a-50/a-15 and along the highway a-50 the places zwolle
and arnhem

greets,

Freddy jimmink

Freddy Jimmink
Donation rank:

17 Sep 2013 10:29

Oh yeah Assen and Apeldoorn will be intere too haha

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information