Iceland Snowy Roads

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
XZV

17 Mar 2015 01:18

Hello, I am writing this on my phone so there might be some errors.
So I took a trip from Denmark to Iceland (Akureyri) and when I got on some snowy roads and I couldnt go more than 30 km/h and if I stop it will take me about 20 seconds to be able to move again, Does this happen to everyone or just me?
Headquarters: Hamburg, Germany
Registration Plate: HH WB 67
Map Explored: 61.87%
Distance travelled: 68,131 km

#JeSuisCharlie

Vladzz-G
Developer

17 Mar 2015 01:30

Ooo, yes, I have encountering the same problem, where east of Akureyri my truck can move no faster than... 20 km/h! So I think "Is my truck skidding on this snowy road?" :D It takes me about 30 min of real time, to drive out of this snowy road! :D
And then I become angry and thought "Next time I will take detour through Husavik!" :lol:

Is Purno really was made us a joke with stunning physics settings to this piece of road?! :lol: Well done! :D ;)
ETS2 HQ: Balvi (LV)
ETS2 truck license plate: NI-7211
ATS HQ: San Francisko (California)
ATS truck license plate: VP96851

Main developer of Baltic merge project
Main developer of Finland project

XZV

17 Mar 2015 01:38

It also made me mad that it was late at night and I said to myself 'Just going to do this easy job then sleep' and I got stuck on this road :lol:
Headquarters: Hamburg, Germany
Registration Plate: HH WB 67
Map Explored: 61.87%
Distance travelled: 68,131 km

#JeSuisCharlie

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

17 Mar 2015 01:39

I'm having the same problem, but I wanted to test it without my physics mod before complaining about it.

BTW, did you know, irl, when it gets colder than -28 celcius, the weight of a truck no longer suffises to melt the snow or ice under its tyres' contactpatches and snow and ice become as grippy as smooth concrete?
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

17 Mar 2015 01:40

This is THE feature in Iceland :P

Vladzz-G
Developer

17 Mar 2015 01:59

"Easter egg" I would like to say! :D
ETS2 HQ: Balvi (LV)
ETS2 truck license plate: NI-7211
ATS HQ: San Francisko (California)
ATS truck license plate: VP96851

Main developer of Baltic merge project
Main developer of Finland project

RustyShackleford
Donation rank:

17 Mar 2015 17:26

Jan Verschueren wrote:I'm having the same problem, but I wanted to test it without my physics mod before complaining about it.

BTW, did you know, irl, when it gets colder than -28 celcius, the weight of a truck no longer suffises to melt the snow or ice under its tyres' contactpatches and snow and ice become as grippy as smooth concrete?
you are right, but with the weight of a truck alone...I speak from driving American trucks anyway...makes them do very well in any snow really. especially loaded.

anyway my first problem with Iceland map was when I went to the quarry up north, I figured my issue was mostly me pulling a 50T earth mover. I had to abandon my job, this hill is HUGE. it would not go up to the first switchback no matter how many times I tried or how fast I hit it. I did get back out the less steep side with a 12T tractor though. now I am just on a flat snowy road and I still cant go very fast, it just spins. pulling 27T diesel.

so I came to see if theres any trick. I too can go like 20kph in 6th and that's about it...I am still exploring.

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

18 Mar 2015 15:56

The physics of the road seem to dictate just lowered friction. Accelerating gingerly doesn't seem to work, at least not with the high-power engines.

I got through it with a 21t load this way:

Disable Automatic shifting (set it to Sequential) and lift your liftable axle (if any).
The Automatic just gets completely confused and just sits in 7th gear hitting the rev limiter. The transmission needs to be told exactly what to do.
You're lifting the axle because you want as much weight on your drive axle as possible. A 4x2 chassis should handle this fine. I don't imagine 6x4 will handle it well at all.
I have a 6x2 Midlift chassis.

After doing that, Stop. Shift to First and floor it. Repeat for each gear when you stop gaining speed. Shifting late wastes fuel, shifting early will kill your momentum. You should be able to average about 50km/h up the hills provided nothing's crashed bad enough to block the road.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

Purno
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 19:39

Vladzz-G wrote:Is Purno really was made us a joke with stunning physics settings to this piece of road?! :lol: Well done! :D ;)
Physics were already there, I just used the snowy road texture.

As an experiment, to see if people would like it. Currently the snowy parts on route 1 can be circumvented by taking a slight detour via route 85 and 87 (follow signs to Húsavík). The only snowy road that can't be avoided is the road leading to Akureyri quarry. But quarries already have proven that low end trucks can't get out of them, so one more snowy road shouldn't make that much of a difference.

If people like snowy roads, expect more of the coming towards Ísafjörður and maybe Ólafsvík ;)

BarrGDA
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 19:48

Purno wrote:
Vladzz-G wrote:Is Purno really was made us a joke with stunning physics settings to this piece of road?! :lol: Well done! :D ;)
Physics were already there, I just used the snowy road texture.

As an experiment, to see if people would like it. Currently the snowy parts on route 1 can be circumvented by taking a slight detour via route 85 and 87 (follow signs to Húsavík). The only snowy road that can't be avoided is the road leading to Akureyri quarry. But quarries already have proven that low end trucks can't get out of them, so one more snowy road shouldn't make that much of a difference.

If people like snowy roads, expect more of the coming towards Ísafjörður and maybe Ólafsvík ;)
I like the dry Iceland much more, I think too much of it is already covered in snow, but I don't mind it either. I respect that a lot of people like snowy areas, which do not exist in ETS2. It's just much more beautiful when it's like in real life.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information