Resumable File Host and Private Torrenting as options

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
SabR

27 May 2015 16:59

Guys, I'm having a torrid time downloading v.1.95. Cannot even get a single part downloaded. I'm at war with my ISP who seems to be either confused or uninterested with this problem. This will be solved but being a government run company one cannot say when. You ask why not change to other ISP? I can but they don't provide the plans that these **profanities** have. So the only option left for me for the time being are to either wait for 3-6months till this issue gets addressed or ask promods community for their opinion on switching to another file host like mediafire, Adrive, etc. who provide resume download feature with their links and/or switch to private torrenting.

I could be the only one who is facing such an issue but i think we could consider the other options when zippy goes down for maintenance or is inaccessible for some countries (ISPs) or other reasons. There are days when I stare at the zippy link page with no download button. :(

So, lets hear what you guys have to say :)

Should promods either;
1. switch to a file host with resume option and/or
2. switch to private torrenting and/or
3. stick with zippyshare but also provide links for other file hosts

Admin/Mods: Don't see a poll option. Please help!
Image Image

mbman212
Donation rank:

27 May 2015 17:22

Looks like the issue I've had when downloading v1.90.
I entered the "CAPTCHa" or whatever it was called and no download link button appeared, but it appeared when I refreshed the page.
#8 Forum Spammer

ETS2 v1.38.1.15, ProMods 2.5x, DLC content

12,50% explored
Driven km 67,200
2957 hours of ETS2

ATS v1.38x, DLC content

29,46% explored
Driven mi 19,000
271 hours of ATS

SabR

27 May 2015 17:32

at times when i get the "are you a robot" captcha link things go smoothly and then i get disconnected. Majorly between 90MB to 160MB. But there are times when even thats not visible. :(

-edit-
screenshot taken now
Image Image

Wolfpig
Donation rank:

27 May 2015 22:32

A torrent may be faster for a lot of people, but as a host you would either need a seedserver with high upload in the beginning (which costs money what they could spend more for the tools they need), or enough people which get the files beforehand so that enough seeders (with reasonable upload) are in place...otherwise the first few hours of downloads might be slower than the freehosters.

SabR

28 May 2015 04:34

True! and I'm ready to share the contents through my seedbox for the initial period of heavy traffic till there are enough in the swarm which should not be a worry as others will join in and hence the loads will be shared. Even 50kbps from each head of 200 would be enough to see others through.

However, as I mentioned earlier, torrents could be seen as an option rather than a full fledged channel of distribution.
Image Image

SabR

28 May 2015 20:11

Alrighty! got the first and the fourth part downloaded :)
That first part download was close though. 15 seconds more and I'd had lost it at 192MB :|

And again, the famous (for me) no-download-button face of zippy strikes :(

@Staff/Mods; guys could you do me a favor? Would appreciate mediafire links for part 2 and 3 :)
Image Image

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

31 May 2015 00:19

Using private DHT torrents for the free download option is a good idea imho. But it depends on whether the team wants to allow it. There is a possibility they get some money from add.fly(?) but I have no idea; I suspect everybody uses adblockers anyway.

As for the initial seeding: I personally wouldn't mind seeding after normal download and I suspect more would feel the same.

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

31 May 2015 21:17

SabR wrote:Alrighty! got the first and the fourth part downloaded :)
Check your PM's.
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

SabR

05 Jun 2015 15:45

thank you n4gix, appreciate it :)
Image Image

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

05 Jun 2015 19:08

SabR wrote:thank you n4gix, appreciate it :)
You are welcome. Presumably you had no difficulty with my private ftp site. I'll remove the files now.
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information