Roundabouts...

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Horizon™
Developer

21 Jul 2015 18:56

Kaunas's potholes - now it is not a trouble for drivers, but it is a place where you can spend your holidays! :D

http://www.anglija.today/infrastruktura ... io-demesio
Post is proudly delivered by Horizon's Logistics
Roaming through desert

Developer of Lithuania
Developer of Kazakhstan
Developer of Iraq

MYE2001

21 Jul 2015 19:11

I haven`t seen a bad road in Istanbul,but there are some (maybe a lot 'cause I didn`t go everywhere) in roads between cities.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

21 Jul 2015 22:13

DeusHorizon wrote:Kaunas's potholes - now it is not a trouble for drivers, but it is a place where you can spend your holidays! :D

http://www.anglija.today/infrastruktura ... io-demesio
Stereotype. Vilnius has more problematic roads in fact, esp. the further from city centre you decide to venture.

Aussie Trucker

22 Jul 2015 00:19

n4gix.bill.leaming wrote: I dare say that we have probably worse roads and streets than many third-world countries! :twisted:
That image indicates the potholes were filled, in this country they don't bother filling them. :D

We have some good roads in Aus and we have some average roads but our problem is that the really bad bitumen roads are on the trucking routes. It's a catch 22 situation, the more trucks and heavy vehicles the more damage is done. By the time 100 trucks run over a small pot hole it's no longer a small pothole and potholes are like rabbits they breed quickly so when one begins forming it doesn't take long for other to form in the area. Living in regional areas and hauling many loads from either mines or forests it's sad to see that some of the dirt and rock roads in the bush are safer and smoother than sections of our highway but I really don't think we are any worse than other countries as a whole.

markspark
Donation rank:

23 Jul 2015 15:00

Hmmm...

Maybe we are not so bad off here :!:

Mostly our major roads (highways) are quite good. A lot of them are toll routes managed by "private" companies, so there is some maintenance.
It is in the towns and cities where the bigger problems with potholes are, especially the rural areas.

If we go back to roundabouts, it is an eye-opener here to see how many people do not know roundabout etiquette (or will not). They would not last 2 minutes in the UK (my only driving experience overseas).

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

23 Jul 2015 17:40

Aussie Trucker wrote:
n4gix.bill.leaming wrote: I dare say that we have probably worse roads and streets than many third-world countries! :twisted:
That image indicates the potholes were filled, in this country they don't bother filling them. :D
Eh? The "Moon Crater" image clearly shows un-repaired potholes. The main problem around here in the Chicagoland area is that the highways and streets are very heavily salted during the winter. The subsequent freezing and thawing along with frequent plowing cause the surface to become cratered.

Just this morning on the news they showed a huge sinkhole where part of the sewer pipe (dating from the 19th century!) collapsed. They placed a 10m x 20m steel plate over the hole temporarily.
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

Aussie Trucker

24 Jul 2015 01:15

n4gix.bill.leaming wrote: Eh? The "Moon Crater" image clearly shows un-repaired potholes.
Yeah but the image below the quoted statement clearly said "Potholes filled". Had I quoted the image it would have just added unnecessary padding to a post that didn't need it, kind of like having to explain things twice.

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

26 Jul 2015 15:28

Aussie Trucker wrote:Yeah but the image below the quoted statement clearly said "Potholes filled".
Ah, I see now. That was a numerical comparison of three cities' filled potholes for 2014. This is an ongoing problem since 'repaired potholes' are most often not much of an improvement in terms of smooth ride than unrepaired ones.

Worse still, the next winter these temporary repairs are like scabs on flesh wounds, and are scraped off by the snow plows, leaving an even worse pothole...
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Aussie Trucker

27 Jul 2015 00:37

n4gix.bill.leaming wrote: Worse still, the next winter these temporary repairs are like scabs on flesh wounds, and are scraped off by the snow plows, leaving an even worse pothole...
We don't have a lot of problem with snow plows (other than unemployment for snow plow drivers) but we have the flesh wound issues simply because traffic and especially heavy vehicles really don't take long to make a patch a pot hole again. I know it costs money to repair roads properly and while we use bitumen and road base etc there is always going to be temporary problems like pot holes but if those fixing roads don't fix the underlying problems of why the roads fail patching the holes is rarely going to be a long term thing.

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

27 Jul 2015 00:58

A large part of the problem is simple. Chicago has 54,600 miles of streets and roads, including 2,500 miles of expressways, 17,300 miles of highways and arterial streets, and 34,800 miles of local streets.

Folks who don't live around here think we're joking when we quip that "Chicago only has two seasons; winter and road repair." It doesn't help a bit that this area encompasses no fewer than 12 counties, 32 "cities", and 468 municipalities, all of whom bear some responsibility for keeping the streets and highways clear and in good repair.

Of course the whole bloody state is a mess. Almost every governor has served at least two terms; one in the governor's mansion, and another in the state or federal penitentiary! :roll:
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information