SCS Blog

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
User avatar
JESAN
Posts: 307
Joined: 12 Apr 2014 22:37
Donation rank:
Location: Exit N°10 on A10/E5 (Lutetia)

05 Aug 2016 19:44

Hi all,

I often read in forums that most ETS2/ATS players don't use mods and that these games should be able to run on low end computers too.
Is it still true (I can't find stats) or an excuse ?

User avatar
Vøytek
Developer
Posts: 9461
Joined: 05 Jan 2014 19:38
Location: Luboń
Contact:

05 Aug 2016 19:54

Most players don't use mods? Interesting statement ;)
I can even run it on my netbook so it's possible to use low-end hardware but it's not really playable (but I know people that play at 10 fps...).
You need much more powerful PC if you want to use mods with lots of new things or hi-poly models.
Image
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

User avatar
martinusK
Developer
Posts: 1568
Joined: 16 Aug 2014 07:46
Location: Tallinn, Eesti Vabariik

05 Aug 2016 20:31

Lugge-Trucker wrote: Imagine, if they wouldn't release DLC's but only free updates. How should they generate income?.
DLC's are a good idea. Except they're low quality. Sorry, but take a look at the Scandinavia DLC. You have places like Södertälje interchange and Oslo, sure, but the rest is once again just full of stock interchanges, red X's (signs aren't even that hard to make with the new system..), etc. etc.

I give my money because i trust to recieve something good. SCS isn't delivering.
pun intended via later realisation
Image Estonia's premier ProMods developer
On other days i resort to being ambitious yet inept

User avatar
Puncake
Posts: 432
Joined: 07 Apr 2014 18:07
Donation rank:

05 Aug 2016 21:38

Peterson wrote:One thing is economy, other is super slow progress in terms of developpement. It can't take several months to make adjustable steering wheels, multi part rims or skins. Or an ugly tunning mod. Or new cargo. Or a new truck, christ, game this succesful just can't have problems with licencing! With all tools they have, with all their knowledge, with all their resources! I gave my money to SCS, and I expect something in return.
Licencing is hard for scs to get as they are a small company they have to prove to truck manufactures that the truck is high standard and as realisitic as possible to satisfy the truck manufacture. SCS are also developing other content which is why "it takes several months to make adjustable steering wheels" i also believe that the multipart rims was done by 50k which is why it took so long for them to put them into game. Maybe you should send your money somewhere else if you "expect something in return".

At the moment scs have about 60ish people. These are seperated into different departments so you would get about 10 people each department depending on how big that department is.

scs are trying but i dont think "spitting" on scs is the right answer. You wouldnt be able to make mods etc without them making ets2/ats. If you think you can do a better job why dont you make your own game.

everything that scs have said they will put into the game like multidrops will come but sometimes it takes time to make and add and each update can change the multidrops so they will have to be re-made or changed.

im not trying to argue i just dont thing your making the right approach to "scs slow development"

User avatar
Callipso
Posts: 750
Joined: 12 Feb 2016 23:40
Donation rank:
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona

05 Aug 2016 22:10

Zniwek wrote:Most players don't use mods? Interesting statement ;)
I can even run it on my netbook so it's possible to use low-end hardware but it's not really playable (but I know people that play at 10 fps...).
You need much more powerful PC if you want to use mods with lots of new things or hi-poly models.
10 fps! wow people put up with that?! its like skipping along to your destination if you turn expect to hit walls and cars as there isn't enough time to react when the frames start skipping.
Puncake wrote:
Peterson wrote:One thing is economy, other is super slow progress in terms of developpement. It can't take several months to make adjustable steering wheels, multi part rims or skins. Or an ugly tunning mod. Or new cargo. Or a new truck, christ, game this succesful just can't have problems with licencing! With all tools they have, with all their knowledge, with all their resources! I gave my money to SCS, and I expect something in return.
Licencing is hard for scs to get as they are a small company they have to prove to truck manufactures that the truck is high standard and as realisitic as possible to satisfy the truck manufacture. SCS are also developing other content which is why "it takes several months to make adjustable steering wheels" i also believe that the multipart rims was done by 50k which is why it took so long for them to put them into game. Maybe you should send your money somewhere else if you "expect something in return".
It can be hard though really all you need is enough money to get a license from those companies, they will sell their brand to anyone who has the cash on hand. Otherwise, one will have to jump through legal hoops over and over again before signing on the dotted line. I don't really think they care that much about how a model looks on the game they are more in the business of making their own trucks in real life. Sure they may at least would like it to look like their truck model though on the finer details mistakes are probably overlooked.
puncake wrote: At the moment scs have about 60ish people. These are seperated into different departments so you would get about 10 people each department depending on how big that department is.
There in lies the problem, you have SCS trying to do too much to satisfy people that they are overstretching their resources to put out things that aren't really necessary at all. I think if your a small company with limited staff you would focus your work on something specific that people are requesting, expand the map, make new truck models, more assets, or whatever else that is wanted. Though if you say okay 40% goes to mapping 30% goes to modeling and the reaming people improve the game in other ways, this can cause delays and unforeseen difficulties that set-back the release of your product for sometimes indefinite periods of time until they had the staff they need to speed up the fixing of those issues. they should have 100% working on something they want to release, this would speed up their release even if it means that the rest of the elements of the game are neglected for the time being.
puncake wrote: scs are trying but i dont think "spitting" on scs is the right answer. You wouldnt be able to make mods etc without them making ets2/ats. If you think you can do a better job why dont you make your own game.
No one is spitting on anyone, and to be honest feedback is good for any company that is trying to cater to the public. The golden rule of business "The customer is always right." if you do not follow this rule then you are bound to fail its inevitable. criticism isn't intended to be a "I think I can do better than you" attitude its more of a way to be constructive so that the product will improve. Though, some take it as a bruise to the ego and that isn't its intention.

User avatar
MandelSoft
Lead Developer
Posts: 3765
Joined: 08 Aug 2013 10:48
Location: Zoetermeer [NL]

05 Aug 2016 22:40

The customer isn't always right. For instance:
- when giving unreasonable or unrealistic demands
- when he contradicts himself
- when he fails to follow simple instructions clearly described on the product
So that rule has limited validity. If you have worked in customer service, you know what I'm talking about...

Also, you will never be able to satisfy everyone. People will always complain about something. If one person would complain about wasting development time on advanced trailer coupling, another would complain about not doing it otherwise.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

User avatar
Callipso
Posts: 750
Joined: 12 Feb 2016 23:40
Donation rank:
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona

06 Aug 2016 21:24

yes, well, at least 3/4ths of your consumer base is more reasonable and sensible than some of the trolls that are out to do nothing but whine and complain. I'm sure as customer service goes they hear from the last quarter of people the most frequently and makes it appear there are more of them than there really are.

Its more of a general rule you work to please the base as much as possible, within reason that is.

mrsmartman123
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 Feb 2016 11:58

13 Aug 2016 10:56

Fernbus Simulator looks promising. I'm a bit worried about SCS.

User avatar
Zulnex
Posts: 63
Joined: 22 May 2014 13:44
Donation rank:
Location: Windsor, Ontario

17 Aug 2016 03:30

mrsmartman123 wrote:Fernbus Simulator looks promising. I'm a bit worried about SCS.
I agree as well.
I wonder if their Coach DLC will ever come out. Many months ago, I have read somewhere that SCS are still negotiating with different bus manufacturers. I guess time will tell, but I am honestly quite worried too.

Stilgar
Posts: 255
Joined: 25 Jun 2016 05:34
Donation rank:
Location: Hamburg

17 Aug 2016 18:18

I'm not worried, because there is no economy.

I found no infos about levels or anything else, you just drive from a to b.

Guess what the first probally paid addon brings - another Bus.

So where is the optically diversity ?
Company: Universal Transports -- Headquarter : Hamburg
Image
-----------------------------------------------
W.O.T. : Rhuarc
My personal Modlist : ETS/ATS 1.35 - Update : 2019-09-18
Loadordertip : what goes where ?



Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests