Greenland

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Matt723

21 Jul 2016 08:10

Wondering if Greenland could be done...
As I know, it is close to Iceland and has a fairly similar climate and landscapes, as well as multiple cargo destinations and challenging roads. Possibly, you could build Nuuk (Greenland's capital), Paamiut, Narsarsuaq and Prins Christianssund on the southwestern coast of the island, with a crazy long trip north to Mybukta and Daneborg (using 1 or 2 ferries on the way). Lots of beautiful fjords, colorful houses and snowy and desolate expanses of nothingness... Incredible country.

Quick facts (from Wikipedia)

Greenland, a massive island and autonomous Danish territory between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans, is about 80% covered in ice. Most of its small population lives along the ice-free, fjord-lined coast, particularly in the southwest. Its northerly position, largely above the Arctic Circle, results in natural phenomena such as summer’s midnight sun and winter’s Northern Lights.
Population:56,483 (2013)
Capital:Nuuk
Area:2.166 million km²

Knowing the work Purno has done on Iceland, if Greenland done by him, it'll be amazing.
I don't always play ETS2, but when I do, I prefer it with ProMods.
Keep trucking, my friends...

ScuL
Founder

21 Jul 2016 08:15

Greenland does not have a notable road network, there are only some small roads in towns. Most of the freight there gets hauled by boats, and alternatively via snowmobiles to outlying settlements
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Matt723

21 Jul 2016 08:28

I've done some research on the country, and found that there are ferries to and around the country, and that there are also (fairly) big fishing and mining industries. There is also a hydroelectric plant on the island. The roads are well connected to the ferry lines, though there are no smaller roads in the countryside. You can also fly to Greenland.
I don't always play ETS2, but when I do, I prefer it with ProMods.
Keep trucking, my friends...

Vøytek
Developer

21 Jul 2016 13:12

But you won't fly there with such a big truck ;)
If we want to be realistic, then unfortunately Greenland won't appear. But if somebody wants, he can create it and many users will drive there for fun. I think that there are other priorities in PM now - Balkans, Spain and Portugal, Italy, Finland and Sweden, UK, finishing ARP. So even if you'd like to see Greenland, it's long wait but some nice landscape will come in 2.1 if everything goes well!
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

edberd

21 Jul 2016 16:27

I'm with you on this. I also would love to see Greenland in ETS2 one day (also perhaps Svalbard). Driving on Iceland is one of the most amazing thing that I have experienced in the game, mostly because of its climate and landscape. I think it would be great if there were some kind of "extension" on this environment, which Greenland could provide.

Regarding of the lack of road networks, maybe we can add some fictional, challenging off-roads connecting the towns/villages. It may not be realistic, but I think it will add greatly to the gameplay. I've seen some people requesting more challenging roads to the game, and I believe this is one of the ways of adding it. It will be like an extended version of the beautiful Iceland off-roads: Tough, but at the same time satisfying to drive on. ;)

All in all, Greenland addition to the game might not be realistic, but it will add enormously to the gameplay, by adding challenging roads with beautiful scenery, without the need of adding fictional/way-too-far-away places to provide it.

P.S. Here I'm not pushing Promods devs to add the country to the mod, since it might conflict with their goal on delivering realism to the game CMIIW. I'm just wondering whether there will be other talented modders out there who make the country as a Promods addon (because of the usage of Iceland assets).

SturmZebra
Donation rank:

21 Jul 2016 18:18

In my opinion, of course it's nice, but we should wait until ProMods runs out of space... well, technically they never will, it's more like we'll rather see the middle east, I think. Although it's a very long way, it's more realistic for Truck traffic (At least, I think so :lol:)
Favourite games: Rainbow Six: Siege, ETS2, Terraria

Callipso
Donation rank:

21 Jul 2016 20:53

I don't even think that many trucks would be hauling anything there at all, most of the cargo gets delivered via ship and then smaller vans will take the goods to where they are intended. Most of the towns are tiny and only need supplies once in awhile, there are not major industries in Greenland. I suppose if you wanted to put some ice roads and shoot the breeze on some of the Glaciers that would be about all that could be expected out there, of course those Glaciers have some nasty crevasses that would swallow a truck whole.

Dannu
Donation rank:

21 Jul 2016 23:29

Wait for ATS to get closer, cause look where Canada is ;)
Ex-ProMods Beta Tester from 1.90 to 2.64

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

22 Jul 2016 00:10

edberd wrote: (also perhaps Svalbard).
You will be surprised ;)
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

edberd

22 Jul 2016 13:49

Really? I would love to be surprised. :mrgreen:

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information