Is there speed camera in your country ?

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Akula_

31 Dec 2016 17:11

The other day while driving in Germany i was wondering

In Luxemburg and France we have a litteral f*ckton of informations about the differents speed camera (type, model, dates,roadsign, locations,...) and everyone knows they exist

But in the other country... It's hard to find the slightest info about them. So i was wondering, community of all europe, is there speed camera in your country ? And how does they look like ?
ImageImageImageSkoda is love, Skoda is life

Vøytek
Developer

31 Dec 2016 17:18

We have speed cameras on some National Roads or on cities. Different designs, usually looking like this one: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... oradar.jpg
Sometimes painted in yellow.
And new ones: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... darowy.jpg
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Akula_

31 Dec 2016 17:56

2nd one right on the sidewalk in the street

Same in Germany i saw these Poliscan Image

Right in the middle of the sidewalk in the middle of the village where people walks.. They aren't afraid of sabotage it seems
And for warning sign just a small thing under the speed limit sign at the entrance of the villages saying "Speed limit control"

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

01 Jan 2017 11:41

Not really here... there are police with speed radars, though.
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

yang20

01 Jan 2017 12:33

penguinaz wrote:Not really here... there are police with speed radars, though.
Americans have better. Police - humans                    speed radars - cheap machine only to earn money
Currently driving SCANIA S
PM2.40+RusMap 1.8.1+Great Steppe 1.2+Southern Region 7.8
Beta-tester of Project Balkans

michaelmurfy
Donation rank:

01 Jan 2017 15:51

In New Zealand we have several types of speed cameras as outlined on our local Police website.

Basically we have 3 main types:
- Fixed cameras - these are being upgraded to "smart" cameras with the ability to monitor every lane for traffic in both directions. These are also a bloody pain as they're placed in locations (in Wellington anyway) where you have to use breaks downhill else cop a fine.
- Mobile cameras - stealthy vans normally parked in locations where you don't know they're there until you're in striking distance. Very annoying as my Redline radar detector doesn't pick them up until they've caught me (yes - we're talking the top of the line radar detector here). They had a go at painting them bright yellow but thought this is distracting to traffic so now they're either silver, white, dark blue or black vans.
- Red light cameras - placed in areas of high risk. I actually approve of these as we've seen a remarkable drop in incidents in these high risk areas where you'd normally get pricks that drive through with death wishes.

Even though I say they're annoying I have never had a ticket from them - I obey the speed limit however one of the cars I drive (a Nissan Skyline R34 GTR) can be surprisingly hard to keep at 100-105km/h since its "ideal" speed is somewhere in the 140's so it can be easy to be caught off guard if you're not paying attention and just crusing.
Promods Server Administrator

Vøytek
Developer

01 Jan 2017 17:48

We also have red light cameras here but not too many of them yet.
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Akula_

01 Jan 2017 20:52

I could add, are fines expensives ?

Luxemburg one are 45€ below 20km/h over the limit, then 90€. And if you're caught greater than 50km/h over the limit, you get summoned to a court.
Belgium, 45€ minimal + 5€ / excessive km/h over the limit until +20, then it's very costly. And if you're caught greater than 40km/h, same you go immediatly to the court

Meanwhile in Germany it's like 10-15€ for small excess but can be expensive if you drive like a maniac

By the way do you even got warning roadsign before these speed cameras ?

Callipso
Donation rank:

01 Jan 2017 23:50

yang20 wrote:
penguinaz wrote:Not really here... there are police with speed radars, though.
Americans have better. Police - humans                    speed radars - cheap machine only to earn money
America has policemen yes, I'm not sure they are better or worse than your radar camera detection system.
Cameras are present on the interstate system for those people who think they can go over the 75 mph limit anytime there isn't cops present. Send you a ticket in the mail, all they really need is your license plate number to issue one.
Cameras are also found in cities at most intersections, in my town there are several really bad intersections that have these installed for more than one purpose its not always to capture offenders. In Phoenix they are absolutely everywhere, on almost all the signs in the interstates and highways, and on every intersection in town.
Though smaller towns may not have any cameras its more of a matter if they can afford them or really need them in addition to the local law enforcement.
Akula_ wrote: I could add, are fines expensives ?
This varies by state, this is for my state of Arizona
  1. A ticket for 10 m.p.h. over the speed limit starts at a fine of $250.00, and typically raises by $50 for every 5 m.p.h. over 10.
  2. At 20 miles an hour over the posted speed limit, the ticket can be raised by as much as $200.00, and the driver is subject to having his or her license automatically suspended or revoked at the time of the traffic stop.
The amount assessed to a speeding ticket changes, however, if the driver was caught speeding by one of the stationary traffic cameras. The fines that come in the mail are a set rate of $165.00, plus up to $30.00 in surcharges and fees. These tickets arrive via certified mail, and are usually argued in traffic court.

This is just for speeding, any other offenses are charged differently and independently of each-other. One can also get any combination of offenses committed as well they will be added together to assess the final penalty, usually this is done in traffic court.

PirriAND

02 Jan 2017 00:10

Andorra has a few.

However, all types of radar detectors are legal even radar jammers, that you can find for sale at any store in the Av. Meritxell (Main shopping Street)

The problem is when you cross the border... Don't get me started with Spain and it's Speedcameras in every corner.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information