Star Wars saga

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Master_of_the_roads

05 Mar 2017 23:28

Anyone seen the newest installment of Star Wars lately ? I've seen it only once or twice in cinemas and at my place via Bluray. I prefer the first original trilogy from 1977 to 1983, but those prequels which span from 1999 to 2005 were also very good.

The latest installment was a bit darker than the previous movies, but still funny sometimes, they got back the Falcon, Han Solo picked up new passengers, new battles were fought and won and lost, planets were vaporized and Princess Leia turned General now, was also back. Well, it ended by Han Solo getting killed by his own corrupted and brainwashed son Kylo Ren, that was a mistake to begin with in my book. The new characters were difficult to comprehend at first, but as time has passed, so have the characters improved.

Looking forward seeing the next installment of Episode VIII : The Last Jedi, which is filming in Croatia actually, in Dubrovnik, how cool is that ?... :)

jasper

06 Mar 2017 10:28

Hi

Episode 7 of Star Wars saga is the worst movie ever , i was and am really dissapointed at the movie , something makes movie it bad ever.
Rogue one is much much better than Force awakens , the next director of episode 8 has lots to do to catch up the mistakes made in 7.
Volvo FH Globetrotter XL 750HP 6X2/4 Midlift

Map coverage: 44,78%
Truck driven distance: 12275 Km
Overall driven distance: 879873 Km
Driven distance during jobs:548030 Km
HQ garage : Nice , France
Trips completed : 450

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

06 Mar 2017 15:49

If you say that Star Wars VII is the worst movie ever, then you either have been very lucky with movies or I can't follow your opinion.

I personally think that the Hobbit triology was much more boring, dragging out for way too long, and when I saw Batman v Superman last year, I saw how DC desperately failed to play Marvel's game. It's not that I have anything against DC (the Dark Knight is a splendid movie), but they better try something else than to copy Marvel's cinematic universe format.

I had a blast with both Star Wars VII and Rogue One. I think that the prequels have their problems (*cough* Jar Jar *cough*) or suffer from Fridge Logic, but for me they don't ruin the movie. Star Wars VII may contain elements from A New Hope, but it actually contains elements from all the original triology films. But it wouldn't be the first time that the movies copy themselves; even George Lucas wanted some parralels to exist in the prequels (I've seen some shot-comparisions emphasising this point). I also really liked that some things in this movie looked genuinely old. That's something I missed in most of the Star Wars saga: that this world has a history. I think Rogue One also had some visual elements from that. Personally, I'd have scrapped the whole blob-monster things from the movie. It delivers some action, but it feels out of place and overkill. But again, for me, there's enough in it that make me like the movie.

Same goes for another franchise I like: Star Trek. The last three movies where good, but each one has at least one obvious flaw. Star Trek: Into Darkness falls down a notch when the villains identity is revealed; Star Trek Beyond's final action sequence may build up tension, but in-universe, it could easily prevented. But does that make me hate them? No. I reserve my hate for movies that really deserve it...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

LoaderSaints

06 Mar 2017 16:06

I think The Force Awakens is overall a good movie despite the fact that Han Solo, who happens to be my favourite character in the franchise, dies. But that character was originally meant to be "expendable" so the character kinda fulfilled its purpose already. I don't consider the movie to be a direct sequel to the previous six movies but rather a new story set in the same universe. What kinda made the movie non-relatable at first was the lack of any familiar locations as all the planets featured in the film were completely new.

Peterson

06 Mar 2017 18:56

Ta ta ta ta tata ta tata...

Ok, on a more serious note, I've seen the VII, I haven't seen the Rogue One yet, and I'm not even planning to. Let's just say that there wasn't much hype to it, and I'm not a fan, so... yeah. But I loved that film, it was witty, well done, and the cinema effect was great. When it just starts from the silence, man, it should be like this more often, no wonder that people love those films.
Peterson logistics - We think, you pay, it's that simple.

ImageImage
My WoT profile.

realdeal350
Developer

06 Mar 2017 21:41

I have watched Rogue One, and to be honest it was a little bit boring. But I won't spoil anything unless you want me to :P
Spain developer
Canada developer
Regional Co-ordinator for the Roman region

Languages: English, italiano

Master_of_the_roads

06 Mar 2017 23:19

Yes, I also think that the Hobbit trilogy was stretched a bit thinner, they were basically prequels to the already acclaimed Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I didn't experience any action adventure shortages whilst watching those weaker prequels from Peter Jackson. It was nice having a different experience of our beloved heroes and heroines.

To return to topic though, Episode VII wasn't the worst or the best, it was somewhere in between, neutral ground.
But it proved that the saga is back, no question about it. Rogue One remains the only Star Wars movie that I haven't touched, that will be corrected as well, I'll keep an open mind about it, criticize only after the end if need be.

Adding to your reply Mandelsoft, I personally think that the Star Trek saga which originally ran from 1979 to 2002 which was entirely based on Roddenberry's vision of our future was pretty more logical than that of J.J. Abrams' version, I also identified some basic plot elements from The Wrath of Khan which ran back in 1982, in his version of Star Trek : Into Darkness, I stumbled upon a scene which talked about a revenge against Kirk just like in the original from 1982, both movies had Khan as the character and in the first we have the brilliant Ricardo Montalban, he captured the essence of Khan perfectly. :) I didn't know that Abrams was trying to reinvent that concept, but it was a nice attempt which didn't convince me much.

I did like other works from Abrams though, he's skilled as a director and can be brilliant when he has a more clear vision for his work. ;)

jasper

10 Mar 2017 10:14

Peterson wrote:Ta ta ta ta tata ta tata...

Ok, on a more serious note, I've seen the VII, I haven't seen the Rogue One yet, and I'm not even planning to. Let's just say that there wasn't much hype to it, and I'm not a fan, so... yeah. But I loved that film, it was witty, well done, and the cinema effect was great. When it just starts from the silence, man, it should be like this more often, no wonder that people love those films.
Rogue one is not bad at all and you should go really watch it , it happens before one of the episode , even if the scenario can look worst at first but it is nicely done.

@ Mandelsoft , when i said Episode VII is not really a good one , it only about matter of force and how it is to master it , even Luke didn't , but how someone without any training on that matter , can succeed where Luke itself failed many times?.
Volvo FH Globetrotter XL 750HP 6X2/4 Midlift

Map coverage: 44,78%
Truck driven distance: 12275 Km
Overall driven distance: 879873 Km
Driven distance during jobs:548030 Km
HQ garage : Nice , France
Trips completed : 450

LoaderSaints

10 Mar 2017 16:31

I really recommend giving Rogue One a shot, even if it isn't part of The Saga it still is a great movie set in the Star Wars universe. It is actually my personal favourite so far of all the live-action Star Wars films. ;)

gurkan6236

10 Mar 2017 17:11

I like the fact that they introduced us to new characters in The Force Awakens and at same time didn't forget the old characters like Han-Solo and Chewbacca. Other movies don't do that *cough* Ghostbusters reboot *cough*.
I think all of us can agree that it was 100000x better than The Phantom Menace.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information