Promods pleas stop using dangerous downloadsites

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Dim67
Donation rank:

04 May 2017 09:07

As the title says. I wanted to download the hotfix today only to have my Bitdefender go apesh*t when I pressed the Download button on that Zippyshare site.

Even with all my ad-blockers, anti-pop-up blockers, html5-autoplay disablers, ghostery-tracking blocker etc. etc. that friggin site still tried to log my location, tried to set my startup-page to their default, openend 2 extra tabs and openend some sort of "sexy-chat" box.

WTF people.

I completely understand that bandwidth does not come free and I would be more that willing to pay a small fee or donation to Promods for all the great and insane amount of work you do. I also paid the Faster download Paypal fee when I first downloaded Promods. But please stop using those sketchy download-file-sharing-sites, there are better alternatives for generating some bandwidth-income.

ScuL
Founder

04 May 2017 09:43

Zippyshare is not a dangerous site, it has never been. And actually we generate zero income with the hotfix link, it's provided as is
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Master_of_the_roads

04 May 2017 14:24

Dim67, if Bitdefender behaves like you described it, then perhaps it has the filtering sensitivity too high or it's set incorrectly, I've never caught any virus or other nonsense on that site, just perhaps a small questionaire which my browser settings dismissed instantly, the annoying pop-ups didn't last long.

So for the future, try using a different antiviral solution, I've used Bitdefender in the past too, but switched soon to Panda Security's Internet Security program, and it has never detected malicious software on Zippyshare, or I would've ditched the site at once.

It's a known fact that not all antiviral solutions behave sensibly, some of them are quite stupid in fact, namely Norton Security, I've had it removed soon I found out that it blocks almost everything on Windows 10, so that I can't recommend either.

For now the best solution is to have Panda Internet Security, it comes in many variants as well, then maybe should try Kaspersky Internet Security, also with caution, Comodo Security and Avast or Eset Security.

The best way to stay off malicious software is however, smart clicking. ;)

mbman212
Donation rank:

05 May 2017 10:24

Are you using the Edge browser when you try to download ProMods map pack? You should try downloading it with either Google Chrome or Firefox, both of them doesn't behave like that.
#8 Forum Spammer

ETS2 v1.38.1.15, ProMods 2.5x, DLC content

12,50% explored
Driven km 67,200
2957 hours of ETS2

ATS v1.38x, DLC content

29,46% explored
Driven mi 19,000
271 hours of ATS

zyprexia

06 May 2017 10:19

Ghostery also prevented a doubleclick and a betting-site popup when I clicked the download button on zippyshare.
Personally I like promods.net/sm_forward.html?lnk= a bit more. That one can also be used to host the free downloads, to lighten to the load of the pm server itself..

Maybe you can also provide the hotfix (in the furure) via a paid link?
I do not know what the minimum amount is what you can ask for a file download, I'm more than happy to pay 25ct for the hotfix..
System: Intel i7-6700K @ 4800Mhz, 48GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, RTX2060, HP LP2475w monitor (1920x1200)
Devices: Logitech G27, SKRS Shifter, CH Products Throttle Quadrant, Trustmaster Hotas Joystick, TrackIR
Storage: 2 x SM961 - 250GB (raid 0), Samsung 850 pro 1TB disk, Samsung 850 EVO 2TB disk.

Vøytek
Developer

06 May 2017 13:30

Sharemods has problems with stability when there's a lot of downloads.
Southern Region map was uploaded there and Sharemods was down for many hours or even a day, barely letting you download a single MB.
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Callipso
Donation rank:

06 May 2017 22:31

Dim67 wrote:
04 May 2017 09:07
Even with all my ad-blockers, anti-pop-up blockers, html5-autoplay disablers, ghostery-tracking blocker etc. etc. that friggin site still tried to log my location, tried to set my startup-page to their default, openend 2 extra tabs and openend some sort of "sexy-chat" box.
It sounds like you need a better set of ad-blockers than what you have if you are getting extra pages popping up. Try the Ad-Guard add on for Firefox if use that I believe its also available on Chome and Edge as well. if you need even more control over advertisements than just a blocker you can also download the NoScript add on for Firefox that will block almost all script functions on sites, this effectively disables advertisements if you have some background in Web Coding.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

08 May 2017 18:16

^^^ That, or just deal with it.

You know where you click, most browsers can be set to not download something without you confirming the download. Windows 7 and up do, mostly at least, not let you do anything harmful to you PC without you confirming to do so.

So, I do not really see any problems here, even if Zippyshare would open bad ads or webpages... Those 'sexy-chat' pages have a close button you know ;)
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Tanksome
Donation rank:

09 May 2017 04:23

Volleybal4life wrote:
08 May 2017 18:16
just deal with it.
Volley
you forgot this 8-)

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

09 May 2017 05:25

Sorry...

8-)
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information