Summertime or Wintertime ?

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)

What is your opinion on daylight savings (DST)

Keep things as it as (change the clocks twice a year)
41%
No more DST (keep the winter time)
24%
No more DST (keep the summer time)
35%

Total votes: 54
Davyddin
Donation rank:

29 Oct 2018 22:44

The poll is however slightly misleading in my opinion, or problematic rather. If abolishing DST, there is no such dichotomy as "summer" and "winter" time. There is only one ("normal time") TZ for a given region. What that TZ should be for a given region is a separate question, with factors partly different from the DST question, e.g. where the region is located in relation to a TZ centre meridian. (I.e., the poll alternatives are objectively different to different respondents depending on where they live.)
ProMods moderator, translator, and tester. ATS and ETS2 player and modder. Author e.g. of the Profile Jumpstart mods. Fennoswede from the Finnish archipelago.

ScuL
Founder

29 Oct 2018 22:49

The idea is that the country's time-zone would be off-set based on either continuing summer time (DST) in-definitively (as Morocco has just done), or keeping winter time in Spring.
The default time is always winter-time (as it currently stands), but as summer-time produces more daylight in the evenings (which would also be handy in winter) most people seem to prefer summer-time over winter-time.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Topolino

30 Oct 2018 09:18

More daylight in the evenings means more darkness in the mornings, that's why I voted for keeping winter time the whole year. Changing the clocks twice a year is not that healty, as well as keeping summer time (which means to stand up an hour earlier in winter).
Former beta tester (June 2018 to March 2019)
v1.0: EuRoadNet

Nissantruck

30 Oct 2018 17:05

I did vote for to keep the summer time,because then the evenings would be slightly longer.I do know that some people say,that it dosent make any difference on if it would be winter time,but with the summer time the day would get dark one hour later no matter what the time of the year would be.
Also if there would be no need for the winter or the summer time,then all of the countries could use times from the time zone that they are now.
For example in Helsinki Finland the time zone would be the same as the time zone is in Athens Greece or Cape Town in South Africa.
So that is one choice for the time in the clocks,if we would use the time zone time for the clocks,that we use.
I did also hear,that some people say that we should change the clock times in the future too,because it would mix up peoples minds,if we would not do that,but how could it be like that,because in many countries for example Thailand or Singapore,they dont change the clock time ever and they are just fine with that in those countries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ_5lE ... IZu7IkSXYw
Senior Beta-Tester and translator for the Finnish language and
the Local language Moderator for the Finnish language in Discord.

NewCoolMapper

30 Oct 2018 17:45

Here in Portugal, our PM António Costa rejected the EU proposal. We are going to keep switching twice a year, and I agree with him.
Lead developer of the project of Portugal 1:8 Image

Omicron
Developer

30 Oct 2018 18:42

I don't mind whether it's abolished or not, but if it is then I'd want to keep the summer time. Our MEP and most politicians want it gone, but I don't know if the Taoiseach or re-elected President said anything about it yet. And of course this brings up more problems between the ROI and Northern Ireland; thanks to Brexit this would mean there would be two different time zones on the island of Ireland.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

TheNuvolari
It’s my birthday

31 Oct 2018 19:27

I do understand that some of you may not like it because of the daylight loss.

But, it's great for us, students. Thanks to the clock changing I don't have to wake up in completely dark.

NewCoolMapper

01 Nov 2018 11:52

Absolutely the same. Last week, I woke up at 7AM and everything was still dark. This week was different because of the change to the Winter Time (UTC +0 here).
Last edited by bmwGTR on 01 Nov 2018 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove quote, please do not quote the post above yours
Lead developer of the project of Portugal 1:8 Image

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

01 Nov 2018 15:59

I personally would say that we should abolish resetting the clock twice a year. However, for keeping DST or not as the new time is a tricky one for me to answer. Personally, I'd like to have DST, but that will be problematic for some areas, especially for those that are far west from their time zone meridian and should fit into another time zone. For Europe, this means everything west of Germany. I'd say to keep DST, but switch everything west of Germany to an earlier time zone, so the mornings in the winter won't stay dark until 9:30 or 10:00.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

EdgeGladiator

02 Nov 2018 18:58

Maintain summertime mean a very dark morning and it bothers me a lot. So I prefer to stay as before.
Senior Beta-Tester since 2.30
Translator for French and Spanish languages
Developper of Mediterranean Map, Maghreb Map and Real European Gas Stations Reloaded.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information